Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

birdy_19

Tom Crean to Alabama Rumor Thread

Just reading about Rick Barnes at Texas and his base pay is 2.55 million through 2019, but his buyout is only 1.75 million. What??? How in the heck did Fred Glass paint us into such a corner with Creans contract? The disparity in the buyouts seems crazy.

The buyout does seem incredibly stupid, but after learning more about his it's structured it's not quite as dumb as it seems. It's paid out over 5 years and whatever Crean makes at his next job would be deducted from the payment, so IU could theoretically get away with paying very little of it.

Still a stupid contract, but not as bad as it appears on the surface.

Their argument though is that he is under contract for a few more years so why would they have to announce that he is coming back. I keep hearing the only way they will make any sort of announcement is if he is leaving. I think people just better get used to the idea of him staying for next year cause no matter what any of us want, all signs are pointing to him staying.

I wouldn't say Crean being back is 100% at this point. The reason there isn't been any announcement isn't bc he is definitely staying. Crean was rumored to leave Marquette and had a press conference to squash the rumors. He isn't doing that this time. The rumor I've heard is he is waiting to see if a job of his interest opens up, if not he will be back. Until he knows for sure he will be doing, it's status quo. He continues to recruit.

I wouldn't say Crean being back is 100% at this point. The reason there isn't been any announcement isn't bc he is definitely staying. Crean was rumored to leave Marquette and had a press conference to squash the rumors. He isn't doing that this time. The rumor I've heard is he is waiting to see if a job of his interest opens up, if not he will be back. Until he knows for sure he will be doing, it's status quo. He continues to recruit.

Source?

Anybody know if there is any truth to Saban being a part of the search committee?

It wouldn't surprise me if they would give them the honors, but it would kind of surprise me if he would care enough to do it? I have a High School buddy that ran Track at Alabama and he says that the Track athletes are not allowed to use the Football facilities. So I wouldn't imagine why Saban would want a high profile BBall coach that might want to borrow a treadmill every once in a while in town.

I just did a full athletic tour of Alabama's football facilities with some of their coaches. Pretty cool experience, but the women's softball team were using the weight room in the football complex so I don't think that's true. Or at least not true for all sports.

Have to wonder what job would be of interest to him.  Not Alabama obviously, maybe Tennessee? maybe texas? any other dominoes to fall?

St Johns just opened up

Guys, Bob Kravitz said the other day he talked to Glass & Crean after the season ended and both said he is staying and there is no chance he leaves. Said he and his family love Bloomington and they want to stay. Kravitz said if he leaves, he lied to multiple inside sources (including Kravitz)... Also, it's looking more and more likely we will land Bryant. Word is he's leaning hard toward IU, and Syracuse's chances are diminishing by the day.

Maybe he'll go to St. John's..??? :)

@jeffborzello: St. John's and Steve Lavin have mutually agreed to part ways, per the school.

You realize Chuck would probably jump at the chance to go back home to NY.

Guys, Bob Kravitz said the other day he talked to Glass & Crean after the season ended and both said he is staying and there is no chance he leaves. Said he and his family love Bloomington and they want to stay. Kravitz said if he leaves, he lied to multiple inside sources (including Kravitz)... Also, it's looking more and more likely we will land Bryant. Word is he's leaning hard toward IU, and Syracuse's chances are diminishing by the day.

Actually Kravitz asked specifically about Alabama, he didn't say anything about staying at IU.