Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southsidehoosier

Thinking out loud about our big man situation....

While adding a superb 2015 big -- grad transfer or otherwise -- would be great, this is why failing to do so isn't necessarily a death knell. Yes, neither Hanner nor Emmitt is 7', but as Stuhoo points out, perhaps Emmitt isn't done growing.

The progress of both of them this year has been encouraging. Both have the wingspan and leaping ability to contest shots without fouling, and both seem to know their roles offensively. Hanner has elite athleticism and his progress defensively and on the boards is encouraging. Emmitt has tremendous awareness and footwork for a freshman.

Defense has been this year's team's problem so far, but check out this graph via UMHoops:

image1.png

IU's post-up defense isn't its problem; it's middle of the B1G pack.

Additionally, there aren't too many college bigs that truly dominate on both ends year-to-year -- skilled, fit 7'ers are rare enough to get paid at the pro level even if they're a bit raw. Heck, maybe a year of seasoning for April will make him dependable enough for high-leverage minutes against overpowering opposing centers next year. He wouldn't have to play 25 mpg, but what if he were solid for 10?

Finally, I assume any additional big would usurp minutes from Hanner/Holt/etc. rather than complement them, unless the offense changes drastically during the offseason. (See Alex of ITH's second answer from yesterday's mailbag.)

Good point. Rebounding seems to be improving. This teams work towards becoming elite defenders will do more than anything to make this group really special.

That's not entirely accurate. Shaq shot 12/12 on free throws against us that day. Here are the stats:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-03-21-indiana.html

Great point, man.  I have that old 92 Tournament game against LSU recorded and I've watched it numerous times.  What's funny is in that game, Shaq's form was completely different than his form while in the NBA when he shot at around a 50% clip from the charity stripe.  His form was nice and it was one fluid motion rather than that awful hitch that he had in the NBA.  

yup...spent a lot of time at each other's house back in the day...talking middle school...then he left the small town of Borden and went to Floyd Central...and I stayed at Borden...

I so wonder what would have happened if Pat had been healthy at IU.

He had a pure shot and I loved his great battle with Damon Bailey---I think it was in the  regional or semi-state championship.

I so wonder what would have happened if Pat had been healthy at IU.

He had a pure shot and I loved his great battle with Damon Bailey---I think it was in the  regional or semi-state championship.

Pat had a decent career at IU...the broken foot hindered him for sure...

he led FC to the state finals in 1989 against Todd Leary and that douche that was on Todd's team that went to UNC...I can't remember his freaking name right now...

1990 was Bailey's year...Bedford won it all and Damon broke the all time scoring record for the state of Indiana...I was at that game and I remember it for 2 reasons...

#1 the record itself...everybody threw a roll of toilet paper to the floor (in Seymour), and it was crazy...

#2...it was the first time I ever spoke to Bob Knight...and of course...he totally blew me off..

I remember listening to the game in 1989 on the radio and Pat would score and then Damon would score---and several of the baskets were from long range.  One of the best games I ever heard on the radio---the announcers were so excited. I think Pat hit a long range shot to win it and keep Damon from getting to state a year earlier.

Classic Indiana basketball.

I also believe the foot problems were related to Pat's medical condition----diabetes is what I was told.

Pat had diabetes starting in the 6th grade...I watched him shoot insulin into himself as a middle schooler...

I will never forget that...and will always respect him...

He's still a really good and respectable guy :good:

I believe that...I stay'd in contact with his mom on facebook until I dropped facebook...

I'm pretty intertwined with his family...

his aunt was my 3rd grade teacher...

I see his dad at Borden High School games from time to time...

Pat's family and mine will always be connected.

I believe that...I stay'd in contact with his mom on facebook until I dropped facebook...

I'm pretty intertwined with his family...

his aunt was my 3rd grade teacher...

I see his dad at Borden High School games from time to time...

Pat's family and mine will always be connected.

What is he doing now?

If you get bored ---Peegs had a great article in which they interviewed Pat in  2009---and he talked about IU basketball---his life---and the recent coaches.

He is the typical straight talking Hoosier---you know where he stands.

I loved how blunt he was about Mike Davis who he shook his head about and Sampson who he said was an embarrassment.

At that time--he liked Crean and talked about attending several games and how he was glad to see the tradition back and being honored.

I would look for the article to link it---but I am not tech savvy enough.

If you get bored ---Peegs had a great article in which they interviewed Pat in  2009---and he talked about IU basketball---his life---and the recent coaches.

He is the typical straight talking Hoosier---you know where he stands.

I loved how blunt he was about Mike Davis who he shook his head about and Sampson who he said was an embarrassment.

At that time--he liked Crean and talked about attending several games and how he was glad to see the tradition back and being honored.

I would look for the article to link it---but I am not tech savvy enough.

Crean has reached out to Pat...

he made him an honorary dunk judge last year...during Hoosier Hysteria...

Pat and his son obliged...