Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

How did Tony Bennett ever win a national title? Just get lucky with a couple classes? 

When he is introduced he got a huge ovation from the Virginia fans here 

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

How did Tony Bennett ever win a national title? Just get lucky with a couple classes? 

He’s a great coach with a great system. He’s won the ACC multiple times outside of his championship run.  He won the ACC last  year, lost guys to the portal and replaced them with crap guys from the portal. I don’t think they have much NIL.  His home grown guys are a bunch of young guys struggling.  

Easily top 5 coach going, unfortunately having a bad year. 

7 hours ago, str8baller said:

He’s a great coach with a great system. He’s won the ACC multiple times outside of his championship run.  He won the ACC last  year, lost guys to the portal and replaced them with crap guys from the portal. I don’t think they have much NIL.  His home grown guys are a bunch of young guys struggling.  

Easily top 5 coach going, unfortunately having a bad year. 

And since winning that title...

19-20: 23-7(15-5)

20-21: 18-7(13-4) Lost in first round to 13 seed Ohio.

21-22: 21-14(12-8) missed tourney.

22-23: 25-8(15-5) Lost in first round to 13 seed Furman.

23-24: 23-11(13-7) Lost in play in game by 25.

He has a system that's great for the regular season. That title team though had guys who could go get their own on a different level with Guy and Jerome along with Hunter. It'll take getting dudes that again.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And since winning that title...

19-20: 23-7(15-5)

20-21: 18-7(13-4) Lost in first round to 13 seed Ohio.

21-22: 21-14(12-8) missed tourney.

22-23: 25-8(15-5) Lost in first round to 13 seed Furman.

23-24: 23-11(13-7) Lost in play in game by 25.

He has a system that's great for the regular season. That title team though had guys who could go get their own on a different level with Guy and Jerome along with Hunter. It'll take getting dudes that again.

Every coach needs talent. 

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He is the coach that probably has suffered from all the movement that is allowed today.  His system and program thrived on learning a system getting old with the same players over multiple years.  Now he is losing kids early and relying on transfers.  Any team needs talent and the guys he is bringing in just are not as talented 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

He is the coach that probably has suffered from all the movement that is allowed today.  His system and program thrived on learning a system getting old with the same players over multiple years.  Now he is losing kids early and relying on transfers.  Any team needs talent and the guys he is bringing in just are not as talented 

Yep. I think UVA is going the route of ND and Michigan where they will quietly play the game with football but punish the rest of the sports with transfer rules to uphold their “academic integrity.”  

But your more salient point that might be a problem for Bennett wherever he ends up is the transfer portal is going to be like the 1-and-done era on steroids in terms of dumbing down the game. You’ll see most of the last good motion offenses driven out of the top ranks, because you simply cannot get guys to seamlessly play effective motion offense in 6mos time. Calipari and Bennett have proven you can take new guys and mold an elite defense in under a year. That’s not a problem.  

So while I have always been pro players getting a cut of the pie, I think the relentless transfers will hurt quality basketball especially in the motion offense department.  

With that said, I think places like Indiana that could recruit at a high level AND pay to keep guys long term could do it with the right coach. It’s a tight rope though. 

23 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Yep. I think UVA is going the route of ND and Michigan where they will quietly play the game with football but punish the rest of the sports with transfer rules to uphold their “academic integrity.”  

But your more salient point that might be a problem for Bennett wherever he ends up is the transfer portal is going to be like the 1-and-done era on steroids in terms of dumbing down the game. You’ll see most of the last good motion offenses driven out of the top ranks, because you simply cannot get guys to seamlessly play effective motion offense in 6mos time. Calipari and Bennett have proven you can take new guys and mold an elite defense in under a year. That’s not a problem.  

So while I have always been pro players getting a cut of the pie, I think the relentless transfers will hurt quality basketball especially in the motion offense department.  

With that said, I think places like Indiana that could recruit at a high level AND pay to keep guys long term could do it with the right coach. It’s a tight rope though. 

I'm just wondering how Matt Painter is getting dudes to stick around at Purdue but Virginia can't? What is Purdue doing? Winning.