Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

All Indiana has to do is move to the southeast coast, or San Diego.  That and promise the starting positions to transfers.  Oh, and possibly $2 million per year for NILs, well in todays $$$$.  Oh, and we need some flexibility on those education and classroom and grades issues.  And we have to really provide assists, on court, to the stars.  We can get you to the next level, furshure.

And if the LEO (Law Enforcement Officers) drop by, the administration must know nothing...nothing.  

A job for dear old Dad would be nice.  That house on the lake...yeah.

Hot wheels and cute drivers...wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Discipline...fagetaboutit.  

Semi-Pro???  Play like your hair is on fire!  And just shoot it.

54 minutes ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

And that is what scares me. We have all the right tools but just can’t seem to get far. The last time I really truly believed we had a final four team was when we lost to Syracuse in the sweet 16, that was a decade ago. Whether our fan base likes it or not we haven’t amounted to really anything since we  lost to Maryland TWENTY years ago. We have so much potential but just come up short. 

I completely get this feeling of potential just not breaking through. But Imo it goes too far into the negative on IU when we get into the past 20 years .It’s jmo, and not really directed at you or anyone, just quoting you as part of the discussion.

Under Sampson we were surging. 24-4 when Sampson-Gate broke. We were one of the best teams in the country. We were on the cusp, bball wise, but then we all know now how screwed up academics and culture had become under Sampson.

So then blam, Crean comes in, has to play a baseball player walkon, no players, the school idiotically self-destroyed the program, requiring a complete rebuild.

He gets Yogi, Cody to complement Vic, and rebuilds to 3 SW16’s, 2 Big T titles, including the Nation’s then longest-running #1 ranked team, the years with Hulls, Wat, Bryant, OG, etc, we were a destination program again and popular and highly regarded as a program for several years, but then crean wasn’t exactly a bball genius, lost the HS coaches, failed to recruit consistently to fill the gaps of the several players we sent to the NBA, and it was time to move on, and back to mediocrity we fell. 

And God help us all CAM comes in and he’s the worst coach ever at IU, a terrible fit and we’re at best mediocre.

But that last group of years under CAM or Crean’s last isn’t 20 years or post-RMK. Really just an inaccurate picture flowing from disgust over the end of diet coke man and what CAM did to us, imo.

For me, I’ve more or less given up thinking IU will ever be the IU I grew up with, but I also don’t think we’re done being a fairly regular top of the B1G competing team. We just finished 2d in the B1G, with a NPOY level player who will likely be drafted and another guy who will be drafted in the 1st round and it’s Woodson’s 2d year. I have some issues with his stubbornness and decisions but he’s clearly heads above Crean and CAM, recruited well early, and there’s reason to think that will pick up along with portal use and we’ll be back regularly at the top of the B1G and contending for a run. 

Time will tell, but consider UCONN. They largely disappeared for a while, now they’re back in the NC. I can see IU doing that too.

3 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Up until Woody, look how the program has been ran the last 20 years. We’ve had some truly inept people in IU Administration/BOT over that period of time.

And some incredible players, just shows you how important support and coaching roles are. I believe Woody is a fantastic coach and will shift the program positively. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I completely get this feeling of potential just not breaking through. But Imo it goes too far into the negative on IU when we get into the past 20 tears.It’s jmo, and not really directed at you or anyone, just quoting you as part of the discussion.

Under Sampson we were surging. 24-4 when Sampson-Gate broke. We were one of the best teams in the country. We were on the cusp, bball wise, but then we all know now how screwed up academics and culture had become under Sampson.

So then blam, Crean comes in, has to play a baseball player walkon, no players, the school idiotically self-destroyed the program, requiring a complete rebuild.

He gets Yogi, Cody to complement Vic, and rebuilds to 3 SW16’s, 2 Big T titles, including the Nation’s then longest-running #1 ranked team, the years with Hulls, Wat, Bryant, OG, etc, we were a destination program again and popular and highly regarded as a program for several years, but then crean wasn’t exactly a bball genius, lost the HS coaches, failed to recruit consistently to fill the gaps of the several players we sent to the NBA, and it was time to move on, and back to mediocrity we fell. 

And God help us all CAM comes in and he’s the worst coach ever at IU, a terrible fit and we’re at best mediocre.

But that last group of years under CAM or Crean’s last isn’t 20 years or post-RMK. Really just an inaccurate picture flowing from disgust over the end of diet coke man and what CAM did to us, imo.

For me, I’ve more or less given up thinking IU will ever be the IU I grew up with, but I also don’t think we’re done being a fairly regular top of the B1G competing team. We just finished 2d in the B1G, with a NPOY level player who will likely be drafted and another guy who will be drafted in the 1st round and it’s Woodson’s 2d year. I have some issues with his stubbornness and decisions but he’s clearly heads above Crean and CAM, recruited well early, and there’s reason to think that will pick up along with portal use and we’ll be back regularly at the top of the B1G and contending for a run. 

Time will tell, but consider UCONN. They largely disappeared for a while, now they’re back in the NC. I can see IU doing that too.

I appreciate this post, after I made my initial reply and realized I was very vague on what I stated. You and I share the same feeling. The timeline of Sampson, crean, and Archie are spot on. 

I am also with you as well with the IU I grew up watching, it’s hard to swallow at times but it’s reality so many things have changed and we just need to continue to adapt and overcome.

Thank you for the refreshing reply!!!! 

7 hours ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Everyone has opinions. 

For me,  Duke has to be included in discussions of who is a Blue Blood. Besides their 5 titles, they’ve been runners up 6 times and in the Final Four 17 times. They’ve had sustained success over decades. 

And they have a great fanbase. Kids sleeping in tents to get best seats to games. Love em or Hate em, if we’re being honest we have to include them in any lists of Blue Bloods.

They take tenting for the UNC game very seriously to get the best you have to take a quiz I'm told it is not easy.

12 minutes ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

I appreciate this post, after I made my initial reply and realized I was very vague on what I stated. You and I share the same feeling. The timeline of Sampson, crean, and Archie are spot on. 

I am also with you as well with the IU I grew up watching, it’s hard to swallow at times but it’s reality so many things have changed and we just need to continue to adapt and overcome.

Thank you for the refreshing reply!!!! 

Previously I posted a breakdown of the Big 1.o over the past X years (believe it was since 2000) and we were at best the 6th best program program during that time. We've had to try hard to be as bad as we've been the last few decades. It's truly incredible we have a few Big 1.o regular season titles and a few Sweet 16s the past 2 decades.

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Looking back over the season how many teams had a dominating stretch?

UConn, Creighton, purdoodoo (figured they would pull a purdoodoo in the tourney) who else?

Houston, but they didn't play a tough schedule.  There were 31-2 heading into the American conference tournament final.