Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

April still in boot.

I understand that. But Hartman was misevaluated. I liked what Etherington might have brought with a year or 2 more of training but Hartman, IDK.
Total misread from our staff IMO.
But Priller and April are even bigger question marks on talent evaluation.
Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

How about Abell as a junior last year or Roth as a redshirt senior when Hulls was hurt in the NCAA tournament? Sure, we will have misses like maybe Hartman. The General had many as well like Sloan etc, but they filled a role for their team and brought continuity to the younger and better players. Its like why turn Jurkin loose when we may have more of the same with these other projects? If he left for more playing time, then who told him he wouldn't be playing when we are understaffed at his position? Just a huge head scratcher when you recruit two more project bigs; one whose specialty is 3 pointers. And instead of Jurkin graduating, he leaves and his replacements are already being speculated to leave. Just not the Indiana way when you have no seniors on senior night. We are still a university giving degrees correct? Heck, even Calipari keeps a couple so Senior night isn't cancelled.

We agree on some things. I would have liked to keep Roth and Abell too. April and Priller make me scratch my head but........

As far as graduation goes, so hello to Elston, Hulls, Verdell, Watford, Evan Gordon, Sheehey, VO and so on and so forth.

Soon to be Hanner and Yogi as well.

I get the impression Crean went ALL OUT to get Anthony Lee and thought he had him. I think he also expected Vonleh to be back until it was too late.

Like I mentioned elsewhere just give 1 year schollies to Burton and Ritchie and then we wouldn't have the mess we seem to have.

We agree on some things. I would have liked to keep Roth and Abell too. April and Priller make me scratch my head but........

As far as graduation goes, so hello to Elston, Hulls, Verdell, Watford, Evan Gordon, Sheehey, VO and so on and so forth.

Soon to be Hanner and Yogi as well.

I get the impression Crean went ALL OUT to get Anthony Lee and thought he had him. I think he also expected Vonleh to be back until it was too late.

Like I mentioned elsewhere just give 1 year schollies to Burton and Ritchie and then we wouldn't have the mess we seem to have.

Don't forget Creek and Etherington, and masters degrees for CWat and Gordon and I'm pretty sure Hulls and Elston too.

Also, Crean has developed VO into a very good NBA player, and CWat is right on the cusp with his new opportunity on the Celtics.

Crean's academic and basketball development abilities are not a strong argument against the man.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I'm with you schoosier!  We could have recruited the next Larry Bird on this team and people would be ready to run him off because he's too slow and can't jump----all without seeing him play a single game. Let the players develop!  If Priller can shoot like they say and he's our last scholly player----that's better then the end of the bench at a lot of other Big Ten schools.

I happen to think teams need a few players like Brian Sloan and Matt Roth--THEY CANNOT ALL BE STARTERS!

I liked what Etherington might have brought with a year or 2 more of training 

I think last year Etherington was given the green light to play his game and he blew it big time. He came in known as a shooter and I don't think I've ever seen someone pass up SO many open shots. One of the most frustrating players here in the last few years as far as not taking their opportunities to shine. His injury history is just a little scary.

Did you expect his reply to be about how dominant April is on the defensive end and how he has an array of low post moves, but still need strength and improved footwork, how well Priller plays the top in the zone and how no one has been able to stop him on offense or how Holt was a shorter Vonleh, but who had a better mid-range game and was just as good from 3?

Weird how his "personal observations" mirrored the consensus. I don't have issues with anyone on this roster. It'll all shake out...

Not sure that there is anything "weird" about sharing "personal observations" from someone at every practice/individual workout. There has been a lot of speculation on the skill sets of these kids, thought I would pass along the info given to me, especially on a player that no one outside of the managers/coaches has seen play yet. And no, I didn't expect to hear any of what you listed, but I did expect to hear that at this point we are bringing in scholarship players better than Peter Jurkin...

Kepner---I liked AE too----loved his enthusiasm----but he did not bring it in the games and I don't know how he fit with the team off the court. I certainly wish him well on his transfer and a speedy recovery on his injury!

I'm pretty sure he fit in really well off the court, actually

We can speculate on all the players we want until our noses bleed. Bottom line: Hanner needs to figure it out in a big way this year. I'm not concerned with anyone else. He will be the difference between us dancing and the pitchforks coming out for Crean. 

We can speculate on all the players we want until our noses bleed. Bottom line: Hanner needs to figure it out in a big way this year. I'm not concerned with anyone else. He will be the difference between us dancing and the pitchforks coming out for Crean.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not sure that there is anything "weird" about sharing "personal observations" from someone at every practice/individual workout. There has been a lot of speculation on the skill sets of these kids, thought I would pass along the info given to me, especially on a player that no one outside of the managers/coaches has seen play yet. And no, I didn't expect to hear any of what you listed, but I did expect to hear that at this point we are bringing in scholarship players better than Peter Jurkin...

I was ready to semi-apologize for the way it sounded until I got to your last sentence. Semi-apology rescinded.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Isn't it funny. If Hanner has worked his butt off and improved, all is fine with Crean. If Hanner hasn't improved and doesn't become a monster piece on this team, it's a Crean issue and the pitchforks will be out...

Isn't it funny. If Hanner has worked his butt off and improved, all is fine with Crean. If Hanner hasn't improved and doesn't become a monster piece on this team, it's a Crean issue and the pitchforks will be out...

Not what he's saying (or how I took it). He's saying (I took it) as we need Hanner to be a successful team. If Hanner hasn't improved, success will be difficult. Then, there is a Crean issue with another 17-15-esque season.

I understand that Hova,

It's just humorous that a guy can't just say, "We really need Hanner to step up this year. I'm not worried about anyone else, because if Hanner is ready it could be a good year, if Hanner hasn't improved I don't think we'll be that good."

Why's it always have to be a pointed out Crean issue?

I know, just as you do, people will not need prodding to gripe at CTC if we have a poor season.

But, if he have a great season, but lose by 15 in the great 8, the same people will wave the same pitchforks

I thought the post was less about Crean than it was about Hanner's performance relative to us winning. The reason I agreed was because I feel that we need Hanner to improve to play better than last season. The last comment about the pitchforks just came off as a cheeky aside to me. It's all about how you interperet it.

That's sorta my point. If we win I believe it will because of Hanner and his development. If we don't win, the sole blame will be on Crean even more so than last season. I don't think it's a Crean issue, but you can bet this board will have 1000+ "Who should replace Crean" threads. Everything else on our team is primed and ready to compete. Our rebounding and defense in the paint is the only question mark. 

I understand that Hova,

It's just humorous that a guy can't just say, "We really need Hanner to step up this year. I'm not worried about anyone else, because if Hanner is ready it could be a good year, if Hanner hasn't improved I don't think we'll be that good."

Why's it always have to be a pointed out Crean issue?

I know, just as you do, people will not need prodding to gripe at CTC if we have a poor season.

But, if he have a great season, but lose by 15 in the great 8, the same people will wave the same pitchforks

Why is it pointed out a Crean issue? Close to 3 million that's why. Is it Hanner's fault he is our only big with legitimate size even though he has never really contibuted up to this point? I think we are expecting way too much from him based on his first two years and his propensity to foul quickly. He also lacks our favorate word basketball IQ from having not played the game long enough and has bad hands. His positives are athleticism and a sweet stroke at least from the foul line. Can he really be expected to carry this team down low? I highly doubt it and you have an undersized post in Davis backing him up. That's why I said expect to see Troy in the 5 role where I'm sure he never expected to play as evidenced by his working on the 3 ball this off season. If we are fortunate to make the final 8, I can assure you no one will be carrying pitch forks. That would be Creans best coaching job in his career. If it were a bet though, I would tell you not to take it. How many IU teams have overachieved in Crean's tenure? Maybe one and it finished with a sweet 16 birth. Not really over achieving at Indiana.

I was ready to semi-apologize for the way it sounded until I got to your last sentence. Semi-apology rescinded.

ha-ha no apology needed. Also, any meaning behind the user name besides the obvious. I ask because Hoosier Hoops was a pretty prominent AAU program back in the day in Indiana (southern mostly) before merging/forming Indiana Red. Didn't know if you shared a link to the program?

Before this spirals, let me clarify. My point is that if we are to do anything this year, Hanner has to have improved. DD was on the upswing and we will be a great shooting team. We have leadership in Yogi and Z and I think Troy will have a breakout season. The only player who has a legitimate chance to tip games in our favor is a consistent Hanner Perea. We cannot rely on Holt and DD in the BIG. We will get eaten alive. Take out the Crean comment, I was just pointing out that if we miss the tourney, most will call for his firing. Is it fair we have to put so much emphasis on Hanner? No. But that's the reality of the season.

That's sorta my point. If we win I believe it will because of Hanner and his development. If we don't win, the sole blame will be on Crean even more so than last season. I don't think it's a Crean issue, but you can bet this board will have 1000+ "Who should replace Crean" threads. Everything else on our team is primed and ready to compete. Our rebounding and defense in the paint is the only question mark. 

I agree that Hanner's progress will be the key.I also think he should have played more last year. i would say that was a Crean thing along with the mob subbing  and the lack of successful inbound plays.I'm not anti Crean by any means but hope that kind of coaching is over.If not maybe it is time to sharpen the forks.