Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

Big Ten Coach of Year Prediction

I'm sorry, not trying to be rude, but your points aren't even making sense. We're dismissing Crean getting advice from Bo Ryan as a sign of mutual respect, because IU is too good to get advice from a Wisconsin coach? He was getting advice on how to best handle to Canada trip, any good coach would do that.
Izzo is going after Crean's recruits because he knows his weaknesses? Ummmm, recruiting isn't one of his weaknesses. Crean recruited almost all of the key guys that won Izzo a National Championship. Izzo respects Crean so much that he gave him a championship ring even though Crean had already left for Marquette.
I also read an article yesterday that quoted Fran McCaffrey saying Coach Crean was one of the first coaches to call him and check-in when his son was diagnosed with cancer.
It just sounds to me like there isn't much basis of fact behind your opinion. It's more of storylines based on some blow-by handshakes and the Michigan incident (both of which I think are amateurish by Crean) than based on how he's really viewed by his peers.

Izzo goes after Creans recruits because that is his talent. Izzo knows his weaknesses by coaching with him and regularly beating him. I will admit I have no inside knowledge of knowing these coaches as I'm sure you don't either. An indiana coach should be giving advice from his conference peers rather than seeking it. Maybe this is where we differ on perspective. It's all good we just differ on opinion. I will stand by mine in that the only proof is what is voted on by his peers in the B1G. How many COY does Crean has since joining the league? Wouldn't you think his outright title have warranted this recognition in 2012?

I almost get the feeling that you are going to be quite disappointed if Tom Crean does exceptionally well as the head basketball coach at Indiana University.

No, I have only been disappointed because he has done exceptionally awful as head coach. I say that as far as ultimately what he gets paid to do. He's a nice guy, graduates his players, and genuinely wants to get the job done. Didnt even Lou Watson win a big and he will probably be regarded as one of the worst coaches we have ever had. Our coaches are just measured by more than one B1G champ in 7 years. The very few times he has brought and executed a game plan worthy of Indiana basketball I was one to give him his due. The fact our alumni/fan base is highly educated in the game makes the Syracuse/Penn St losses that much more unacceptable. An uneducated bball fan could look at our lineup last year with a lottery and surrounding cast and easily make the dance. BUT, we didn't or even make the not invited. Now, in year seven with no viable post options you want to blame a past college baller/IU alum for the state of $hit at the university we love. Give me a great product for the 3 million he gets paid and its all good.

The advice came from Bo Ryan...because his team made the Canadian trip last year... who would have thought, right?

Obviously, he didn't get his advice on the hole visa issue. Who woulda thought? What else is relevant...stagnant offense or who can make the best game face on the coaching lanes?

Tom Crean is 3-3 against Izzo over the last three seasons.

The only proof isn't the conference COY, that's not really proof at all. The proof is former head coaches wanting to be on his staff. The proof is a coach as respected as Izzo continually vouching for him and speaking highly of him. The proof is the Charlotte Hornets speaking glowingly of him. The proof is Bo Ryan, a rival, giving him advice from their recent Canada trip (Bo Ryan, nor Tom Crean for that matter, have anything to do with Canada's visa process). The proof is Crean and Fran McCaffrey having a phone call shortly after McCaffrey's son was diagnosed. There are plenty more stories just like that, and those things don't happen without a mutual respect.

Crean is very good friends with Tony LaRusa and Doc Rivers too. Not college coaches, but highly respected coaches in their fields.

You might not like him, and I agree that he was awful last year, but he is respected among his peers. I don't even think that's really debatable.

Izzo goes after Creans recruits because that is his talent. Izzo knows his weaknesses by coaching with him and regularly beating him. I will admit I have no inside knowledge of knowing these coaches as I'm sure you don't either. An indiana coach should be giving advice from his conference peers rather than seeking it. Maybe this is where we differ on perspective. It's all good we just differ on opinion. I will stand by mine in that the only proof is what is voted on by his peers in the B1G. How many COY does Crean has since joining the league? Wouldn't you think his outright title have warranted this recognition in 2012?

Tom Crean is 3-3 against Izzo over the last three seasons.
The only proof isn't the conference COY, that's not really proof at all. The proof is former head coaches wanting to be on his staff. The proof is a coach as respected as Izzo continually vouching for him and speaking highly of him. The proof is the Charlotte Hornets speaking glowingly of him. The proof is Bo Ryan, a rival, giving him advice from their recent Canada trip (Bo Ryan, nor Tom Crean for that matter, have anything to do with Canada's visa process). The proof is Crean and Fran McCaffrey having a phone call shortly after McCaffrey's son was diagnosed. There are plenty more stories just like that, and those things don't happen without a mutual respect.
Crean is very good friends with Tony LaRusa and Doc Rivers too. Not college coaches, but highly respected coaches in their fields.
You might not like him, and I agree that he was awful last year, but he is respected among his peers. I don't even think that's really debatable.

No worries my Hoosier friend but you said it all with he was awful last year. Being friends and being highly respected are the differences in being named as COY. How many did Knight get all the while being hated? How many pro teams will come after Crean next year if he doesn't make it here? None to be exact. But Doc, DWade, and everyone else like him. Probably a similar position as Sampson got via assistant or scout.

The best know when to ask for help from those with more experience.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Here is an opinion piece that I think nicely sums up the two opposing arguments. I'd like everyone to observe Crean's record and resume minus the first three abysmal years. It really puts things into perspective.

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2014/6/30/5826622/tom-crean-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-hot-seat-fire

The best know when to ask for help from those with more experience.

You should take your own advice when it comes to basketball related questions. This is an IU basketball website afterall. Please ask one as it relates to your concerns for our team this years and myself and probably many others will be glad to take you to school. But you probably don't have any concerns. 4 guard lineups win championships right?

Thanks for posting. This doesn't really sum up my stance in this thread though. I'm not debating for Tom Crean's coaching ability. I'm debating that the idea that he isn't respected in the industry is unfounded and not accurate.

Like I said earlier, he was awful last year, and he lost me on the bandwagon, though I can be won back. But, that doesn't mean he isn't respected in the coaching fraternity.

Here is an opinion piece that I think nicely sums up the two opposing arguments. I'd like everyone to observe Crean's record and resume minus the first three abysmal years. It really puts things into perspective. http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2014/6/30/5826622/tom-crean-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-hot-seat-fire

You should take your own advice when it comes to basketball related questions. This is an IU basketball website afterall. Please ask one as it relates to your concerns for our team this years and myself and probably many others will be glad to take you to school. But you probably don't have any concerns. 4 guard lineups win championships right?

It's actually a forum for IU Athletics. There are also plenty of successful teams led by guards in college basketball. Big men are not quite as dominate in the NCAA as they are in the NBA. Villanova and last years UConn team are good examples. Luckily for us, we have one of the best PG's in the country, the best freshman shooter, a future NBA player at PF, plenty of talent at the 2 and 3, and two serviceable bigs who may also surprise us all.

Thanks for posting. This doesn't really sum up my stance in this thread though. I'm not debating for Tom Crean's coaching ability. I'm debating that the idea that he isn't respected in the industry is unfounded and not accurate.

Like I said earlier, he was awful last year, and he lost me on the bandwagon, though I can be won back. But, that doesn't mean he isn't respected in the coaching fraternity.

Completely agree with you. Off the court, he seems like a first class citizen. I can't imagine people not having respect for him. Just read this article today and though it literally covered every argument for and against Crean I had seen thus far lol.

I think I can Ditto BGleas on these thoughts in general.

He lost me too last season but I too can be won back. Last year was brutal from a coaching perspective but the previous 2 years were the opposite. Hopefully having shooters will rectify his problems.

He HAS to fix his substitution problems. I really don't get it at all. That is the major thing I want fixed. I think the TO problem will be alleviated based on our personnel this season. I hope!

Two interesting viewpoints. I come down on the side that he gets a pass for one down year (last year) after he brought us back--but it cannot happen again this year.  I am optimistic that it won't. We have the talent to win now. What I don't like are the fans that seem to want us to lose or who are publicly trying to get Coach fired for one subpar season--- which does hurt our program and our recruiting. Even the beloved Knight had his share of down seasons.  Right now I am still on the Crean train--but if he does not get the team back on the right track (NCAA tourney this year)--- then I will be ready to start looking for another engineer. That's just the way it works at a top notch program with high expectations like Indiana.....Ask Mike Davis!

I think Crean is respected among his peers as a person, a recruiter, and a coach who runs an ethical program. But I also think they see the same in-game coaching problems that many of us fans do.

I would like to see some statistics on won-loss record after leading at halftime. 

I don't know if this is exactly what you want, but this kinda sums it up: http://assemblycall.com/2014/second-half-struggles/#more-3702.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We were outscored in the second half every season, except for when Crean had arguably his best team to date in 2012-2013. Even then they only outscored opponents by 0.6 ppg in the second half. Definitely concerning, but if his initial game plan and approach can build a strong enough lead, it can be mitigated, but only on an aggregate scale. The data was presented in a confusing way, but we know that the last three seasons combined has Crean sitting with 73-31 record. It's against the high caliber teams that this trend becomes the issue; the kind of team we face in the tournament. 

When you consider this data, you might conclude that Crean cannot coach against the top teams. Surprisingly, he's had a lot of success against top ranked teams: 

"IU has defeated a national best 10 programs ranked in the top 10 in the last three years. IU also leads the Big Ten with 15 regular season wins against the Top 25 in that same span." - Indiana Hoosiers Official Website

It would be really great if Crean could just clear up the confusion regarding his ability to lead the program by kicking some butt these next few years. Get into the tournament these next three years in a row, and make it to at least the Elite Eight once while avoiding a first round knock-out, and I think he will have proven something.