Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
hoosierpap

OT: Shaka Smart to Marquette?

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="53027" timestamp="1395710723"]He turned down Illinois. Oh wait, it's Illinois that explains that one.[/quote]

That decision probably took all of 6.5 seconds. 6.1 of which were spent laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Shaka should've bounced after his final four, which I still think was a bit fluky.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Probably would have made more money. 

I'm gonna start the completely unfounded rumor...Jeremy Hollowell is perfect for the run-n-gun HAVOC Shaka Smart system!

-> It is destiny that Smart's Marquette Warriors are to have their fast break offense anchored by the slick ball handling of transfer Jeremy!

-> With Big Luke outrunning the other bigs!

-> (also appropriate would be Danny Moore at pg dribbling the ball off of his foot).

Looks like Wake Forest is also courting him.

I see this move more likely than Marquette. If I remember right, his main reason for staying at VCU despite being courted by UCLA, Illinois, and most other schools with a vacancy since '11 was based on his family being comfortable in Richmond. Winston-Salem is a lot closer to Richmond than Milwaukee and much warmer too.

I see this move more likely than Marquette. If I remember right, his main reason for staying at VCU despite being courted by UCLA, Illinois, and most other schools with a vacancy since '11 was based on his family being comfortable in Richmond. Winston-Salem is a lot closer to Richmond than Milwaukee and much warmer too.

Yes that is correct that is why he stayed.

Somethings off....why anyone would go to virginia tech is.....odd..they could careless about basketball...so what's wrong with marquette? One must ask...shaka smart has been a flash in the pan..he is all but an ember..so heck ya he's jumping on this..

[quote name="KZ-Hoosier" post="53096" timestamp="1395716698"]Somethings off....why anyone would go to virginia tech is.....odd..they could careless about basketball...so what's wrong with marquette? One must ask...shaka smart has been a flash in the pan..he is all but an ember..so heck ya he's jumping on this..[/quote]

My thought on your first point: The Big East is becoming a joke and the ACC is legit. That's the only reason I've come up with for him jumping ship.

My thought on your first point: The Big East is becoming a joke and the ACC is legit. That's the only reason I've come up with for him jumping ship.

This was my thought too. The Big East really suffered I think by Brad Stevens leaving. Marquette and Georgetown with down years and that league was pretty disappointing this year. The ACC is going to be loaded for the foreseeable future with UNC, Duke, Cuse, UofL, Pitt, Miami, ND, etc.

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="56766" timestamp="1396365231"][quote] [url="https://twitter.com/ZachOsterman"][b]ZachOsterman[/b] ‏@[b]ZachOsterman[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/ZachOsterman/status/451013926918975488"]53s[/url] RT [url="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN"]@[b]GoodmanESPN[/b][/url]: Marquette has hired Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, sources told ESPN.[/quote] Yes this is what is reported e1 thinks it is an April Fool's joke ...nobody wants to take a job today.. Lol Sent from the gym using BtownBanners

ame="Hwy 1" post="56766" timestamp="1396365231"] Yes this is what is reported e1 thinks it is an April Fool's joke ...nobody wants to take a job today.. Lol Sent from the gym using BtownBanners

"MILWAUKEE -- Marquette University has found its next basketball coach, as the school is set to hire Duke associate head coach Steve Wojchiechowski to replace Buzz Williams, according to multiple reports.

Wojchiechowski has spent the last 15 years as an assistant coach under Mike Krzyzewski at Duke and was promoted to associate head coach in 2008. The Blue Devils won national championships in 2001 and 2010, played in the Final Four three times and have won nine ACC tournament championships and five regular season conference championships with Wojchiechowski on staff.

He also won gold medals as an assistant to Krzyzewski at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and the 2012 Olympics in London. Wojchiechowski is slated to serve as an assistant coach for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"He's like a fireball of energy," former Duke forward Casey Sanders said in Wojchiechowski's bio on Duke's official website. "It's really hard to describe. He expects us to be alert and alive at all times, and he pumps it into everything we do."

Working primarily with Duke's big men, Wojchiechowski has aided in the development of NBA players Shelden Williams, Shavlik Randolph, Kyle Singler, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly and Miles Plumlee. He worked closely with expected NBA Draft picks Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood this past season.

"Wojo is a terrific coach and was instrumental in my development at Duke," Mason Plumlee told Duke's official website. "He does a great job teaching the nuances of post play, while also pushing players to reach their full potential. He really helped me improve and grow as a player and as a person."
Related

His association with Krzyzewski began as a player, as Wojchiechowski was Duke's point guard for four seasons and still is ranked in the top 10 all-time in assists and steals at the school. Wojchiechowski was a captain on the 1997-98 Duke team that went 32-4 and made the Elite Eight. He was named the National Defensive Player of the Year following his senior year in 1998.

Wojchiechowski went undrafted following his collegiate playing career and played professionally in Poland for one season before coming back to Duke in 1999 as an intern in the Duke Management Company and served as a sideline analyst for the team's radio broadcasts.

Many in the college basketball took to Twitter to congratulate Wojchiechowski after the news broke Tuesday morning, especially those with connections to the Duke program.

Former Duke star, assistant coach and current Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins tweeted: "Congrats to @steve_wojo on getting the job at Marquette-great hire!"

Marquette's search to find a new head coach took 11 days, as Williams officially left for Virginia Tech on March 21. The school has now hired an assistant coach the last five times they've needed a head coach dating back to when Kevin O'Neill was hired from Arizona in 1989."

http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/marquette-to-hire-duke-assistant-wojchiechowski-as-head-coach-040114

"Marquette has hired Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, sources told ESPN.com.

The school scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

Wojciechowski, 37, played at Duke in the late 1990s. He has been on Mike Krzyzewski's staff since 1999 and was elevated to associate head coach in 2008.

He replaces Buzz Williams, who led Marquette to the NCAA tournament in five of his six seasons at the helm.

Williams left last month for Virginia Tech following a 17-15 campaign in which the Golden Eagles failed to make the postseason."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10708664/marquette-hires-duke-assistant-steve-wojciechowski

Fox and ESPN seem to think it's legit.

My question is why the hell would you leave Marquette for Virginia Tech? I know money probably played the biggest role but in the new ACC that seems like a really hard program to succeed at.

My question is why the hell would you leave Marquette for Virginia Tech? I know money probably played the biggest role but in the new ACC that seems like a really hard program to succeed at.

Most seem to think that Buzz wasn't too thrilled about the future of the Big East, and decided to jump ship for the ACC.