Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Leo

Wrong decision years ago?

Everyone complains about Crean now. But I'm looking at things 6 years ago. Was it the wrong hiring decision then?
I remember 6 years ago when I was in 5th grade I wrote a persuasive essay about why Tony Bennett was the right coach for IU. Looking at what we've done and what Virginia (where Bennett is now) has done, it seems to me that they're in the better position. Their offense has flow to it, they have one of the best defenses in the nation, and he's been able to get good local recruits. And they did something IU makes look impossible, win the conference tournament. Am I crazy or was 5th grade me right?

Everyone complains about Crean now. But I'm looking at things 6 years ago. Was it the wrong hiring decision then?
I remember 6 years ago when I was in 5th grade I wrote a persuasive essay about why Tony Bennett was the right coach for IU. Looking at what we've done and what Virginia (where Bennett is now) has done, it seems to me that they're in the better position. Their offense has flow to it, they have one of the best defenses in the nation, and he's been able to get good local recruits. And they did something IU makes look impossible, win the conference tournament. Am I crazy or was 5th grade me right?

LOL, you were smart in the 5th grade.

Well there have been plenty of rumors about that coaching search and everything that went down. Some of which involve some of the candidates that were favored above Crean demanding more money than the university were willing to put out. And of course coming out with all of the sanctions that came from the Sampson tenure it would be hard to get our most desired candidate to come here 6 years ago. For all we know Crean might have been the top guy based on his resume at the time who would take the job. 

[quote name="KingPG21" post="49023" timestamp="1395028153"]Well there have been plenty of rumors about that coaching search and everything that went down. Some of which involve some of the candidates that were favored above Crean demanding more money than the university were willing to put out. And of course coming out with all of the sanctions that came from the Sampson tenure it would be hard to get our most desired candidate to come here 6 years ago. For all we know Crean might have been the top guy based on his resume at the time who would take the job. [/quote]
Valid points, I didn't think about the financial side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="OliviaPope40" post="49026" timestamp="1395028218"]You should read the book by Terry Hutchens details the entire situation and what happened behind closed doors.[/quote]
May need to give that a read.

Valid points, I didn't think about the financial side of things.

And of course those are just rumors, which I usually try to avoid referencing, because generally speaking for every ten rumors out there, 1 might actually be true.

[quote name="nathancomp4" post="48986" timestamp="1395026122"]Everyone complains about Crean now. But I'm looking at things 6 years ago. Was it the wrong hiring decision then?
I remember 6 years ago when I was in 5th grade I wrote a persuasive essay about why Tony Bennett was the right coach for IU. Looking at what we've done and what Virginia (where Bennett is now) has done, it seems to me that they're in the better position. Their offense has flow to it, they have one of the best defenses in the nation, and he's been able to get good local recruits. And they did something IU makes look impossible, win the conference tournament. Am I crazy or was 5th grade me right?[/quote]

Crean did everything Bennett at UVA did but quicker. Believe it or not but (gasp) the cavs weren't good before this year

[quote name="nathancomp4" post="48986" timestamp="1395026122"]Everyone complains about Crean now. But I'm looking at things 6 years ago. Was it the wrong hiring decision then?
I remember 6 years ago when I was in 5th grade I wrote a persuasive essay about why Tony Bennett was the right coach for IU. Looking at what we've done and what Virginia (where Bennett is now) has done, it seems to me that they're in the better position. Their offense has flow to it, they have one of the best defenses in the nation, and he's been able to get good local recruits. And they did something IU makes look impossible, win the conference tournament. Am I crazy or was 5th grade me right?[/quote]

Please post what you wrote in 5th grade. I'm sure you had any clue what you were talking about.

Just to clarify, I realize my 5th grade essay won't be published and the next "New York Times Bestseller." I'm also not a Crean hater and realize 6 years ago the IU program was under a lot of stress. Just playing the "what if?" game.

Given only those two options...

I vote for crazy.

Wrong decisions are what's been the only constant from the IU administration.
1. Super duper probation the General was placed under.
2. Making Davis head coach after interim. The worst decision out of all of them.
3. Hiring Sampson when he was on probation at Oklahoma. 2nd worst decision.
4. Giving Crean the ridiculous 10 year contract. NCAA champinship coaches should only be so lucky.

Myles Brand targeted Knight as his legacy to ascend to the presidency of the NCAA. Adam Herbert targeted Davis and Sampson because of their minority status and had his yes man Greenspan who should have counseled him to avoid both. Glass being an attorney baffles me with his decision on Creans contract. I don't know much about McRobbie but he signed off on it. There in a nutshell is how you completely dismantle a top athletic program in 14 years. When will a right decision be made?

I wasnt super heavy into IU basketball when crean got hired and the whole debacle that was when they were trying to find someone. I just find it funny no one thought he was this bad last year, or least way less haters last year. Heck even game to game he was considered a coaching genius, then the next he needs fired. Im not happy how this program was this year but, Im just baffled at all the comments I see on here and other sites. 

We are talking about switched roles. IU was a #1 seed in the tourney last year and Virginia is this year. That doesn't make him a better coach. He just has the right guys right now, like we did last year. Let's see him make it to the Elite 8 before we crown him the should be IU coach that we missed