Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

Hanner Perea arrested

Not being a resident of Indiana, I had no idea what "OWI" signifies. After getting to the second page of comments, I found out that operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated is what this student athlete is alleged to have done.  I attended IU Bloomington as a graduate student, so I was of age to purchase liquor legally. I did not own a car when I attended  my undergraduate university, nor when I attended IU.  

If, Mr. Hanner Perea was intoxicated,the question arises as to how he, an undergraduate, came into possession of alcohol.  If he was driving an automobile, how was he able to afford one, since the current outcry among student athletes is that they should be paid for their services. Perhaps his family purchased the car for him.  Did he receive the car from an overzealous booster?   Some serious questions need to be asked here.  What are the university's regulations concerning possession of alcohol by a minor?  What are the team's regulations concerning imbibing in alcohol while in training, whether the student-athlete is under age or of age to be able to purchase alcohol legally?

We who are members of BTOWN BANNERS are not the judges of what will or should happen to Mr. Hanner Perea. We are merely onlookers  who can express interest in the success of the team. Coach Crean runs the team. He had a lot of support last year when the team was winning. This year he needs support as he again tries to bring winning basketball to our university. 

I think the questions as to how as student athlete affords a vehicle and where all that comes from is something that schools are required to document, as in, if the car was even his the school would have already had documentation as too sources. 

As far as underage possession by a minor, forget it. Even if he is underage, if you want alcohol its easy enough to get. I started drinking at 17 and never had trouble getting booze as long as I had some money. I suspect that cops barely even try to get a answer on that, as even the dumbest among us knew to keep our mouths shut.

Another issue that may come up is how will this effect his "green card" status? I remember the douchebag assistant at Baylor threatening to deport Hanner if he didn't sign with them, and I could see some Boiler politician or alumni running with this. I will say though, Hanners performance so far will probably not raise an eyebrow.

It won't effect his green card status. To be a deportable offense a crime must be an aggravated felony or a crime involving moral turpitude. The Supreme Court ruled about a decade ago that a DUI is not an aggravated felony. It is not considered a crime involving moral turpitude under the Immigration and Naturalization Act.

Now, if Hanner is shown to be a habitual drunkard, he could be barred from citizenship or readmission to the country. But, we are a long way from that point after only one DUI arrest.

[quote name="Napleshoosier" post="38459" timestamp="1392402090"]I still say the cop should have taken him to Creans. so big ....t if he was driving under the influence. Things can be handled more discrete. Show boating cops...........look you are barking up the wrong tree with me. I have no respect for butt wipe cops that want the spot light....thats CRAP!!![/quote]

Maybe if he was walking down the street drunk, stumbling whatever, taking him to Crean's would be okay, but he was DRIVING. He is a danger to other people. In the report it said he ran into a curb. That isn't something you can just "let go" and have Crean make him run for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not being a resident of Indiana, I had no idea what "OWI" signifies. After getting to the second page of comments, I found out that operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated is what this student athlete is alleged to have done.  I attended IU Bloomington as a graduate student, so I was of age to purchase liquor legally. I did not own a car when I attended  my undergraduate university, nor when I attended IU.  

If, Mr. Hanner Perea was intoxicated,the question arises as to how he, an undergraduate, came into possession of alcohol.  If he was driving an automobile, how was he able to afford one, since the current outcry among student athletes is that they should be paid for their services. Perhaps his family purchased the car for him.  Did he receive the car from an overzealous booster?   Some serious questions need to be asked here.  What are the university's regulations concerning possession of alcohol by a minor?  What are the team's regulations concerning imbibing in alcohol while in training, whether the student-athlete is under age or of age to be able to purchase alcohol legally?

We who are members of BTOWN BANNERS are not the judges of what will or should happen to Mr. Hanner Perea. We are merely onlookers  who can express interest in the success of the team. Coach Crean runs the team. He had a lot of support last year when the team was winning. This year he needs support as he again tries to bring winning basketball to our university. 

I'm pretty sure Hanner is 21, so he could legally purchase alcohol himself.  Even if he was still a minor, I can tell you as someone that attended IU as a minor it's not that difficult to get alcohol.  The car may not have been his, but I'm sure he has a friend or someone that would let him borrow it and probably didn't know he was going to drink and drive.

[quote name="Napleshoosier" post="38473" timestamp="1392403428"]Give him some friggin glue for the next game and turn him over to Crean!!!!! The wrath of Crean would be more than a judge could impart. Absolutely discretion can be used in this situation. JMO I have no love for show boat cops who think they walk on water etc. [/quote]

So if HMP were to run over someone dear to you while drunk driving you'd still stay turn him over to crean?

[quote name="Napleshoosier" post="38473" timestamp="1392403428"]Give him some friggin glue for the next game and turn him over to Crean!!!!! The wrath of Crean would be more than a judge could impart. Absolutely discretion can be used in this situation. JMO I have no love for show boat cops who think they walk on water etc. [/quote]

I fully understand what you're saying, but look at it from the cop's point of view. He takes Hanner to Crean's, this story leaks, thus leaking that a cop let off a kid that was driving drunk. That looks like (and sort of is) preferential treatment. The cop looks AWFUL, gets reprimanded, (loses his job?) and this is an even bigger story. Drunk driving is just too serious to let go like that.

[quote name="Napleshoosier" post="38477" timestamp="1392403912"]A friggin cop in B-town isn't gonna get fired for taking a basketball player to his coaches house...nice discrete and so forth....Cops look awful anyway....:)[/quote]

We just have to agree to disagree here, my man. While I agree that Crean's punishment would physically be much more painful, I think drunk driving is too serious to let someone off for.

As far as insurance, he'll have to file an SR22, which many of the bigger companies won't do (in 6 yrs with State Farm, I've gotten 2 issued). That violation will show (with State Farm) 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I still say the cop should have taken him to Creans.  so big ....t if he was driving under the influence.  Things can be handled more discrete.  Show boating cops...........look you are barking up the wrong tree with me.  I have no respect for butt wipe cops that want the spot light....thats CRAP!!!

That would just be descrimination.  Oh, you're a ball player. We will let coach deal with you.  Laws are for a reason and if someone close to you had been killed by a drunk driver, you wouldn't have such a red neck attitude about it.

I'm a little worried some of us here aren't taking drinking and driving seriously.  It's not like he got in a fight?  He was endangering people by driving while impaired.  Enough so that he ran up a curb.  The law is the law, regardless if he is a basketball player or not.  He broke the law and jail was the perfect place for him.

What would Crean do?  Sweep it under the rug, like Remy, or Hollowell?  Coaches won't deal with a mess like this, and if that was my coach he would probably told the cops to take me to jail anyways.

[quote name="Napleshoosier" post="38489" timestamp="1392404922"]Hmmm, Redneck huh? lol Why don't you go put on a pink skirt and picket for everybody leaving a bar driving should be pulled over and tested for alcohol intoxication? After all people do drink and get drunk in bars don't they? lol Lets see where that gets you[/quote] They didn't get him leaving the bar he was going the wrong way down a one way road hitting curbs. They weren't out to get him he got his own ass in a sling.

They didn't get him leaving the bar he was going the wrong way down a one way road hitting curbs. They weren't out to get him he got his own ass in a sling.

Don't exaggerate it. According to the police, he almost turned onto a one-way street going the wrong way. However, he corrected himself before actually doing so. But, hitting the curb is what the officer reported.

[quote name="Rayl" post="38498" timestamp="1392405524"]Don't exaggerate it. According to the police, he almost turned onto a one-way street going the wrong way. However, he corrected himself before actually doing so. But, hitting the curb is what the officer reported.[/quote]

Wasn't trying to. Was just going off of what people have told me and little that I have read.

[quote name="Indymike7" post="38485" timestamp="1392404510"]That would just be descrimination. Oh, you're a ball player. We will let coach deal with you. Laws are for a reason and if someone close to you had been killed by a drunk driver, you wouldn't have such a red neck attitude about it.[/quote]

While I agree with you I don't get the redneck attitude comment. Where I'm from is pretty much nothing but rednecks and I don't know of any really that would be ok with not taking him to jail.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wasn't trying to. Was just going off of what people have told me and little that I have read.

OK. Look back in the thread a bit. Someone posted the statement of what the officer reported he saw. Straight from the horse's mouth, Hanner was not driving the wrong way down a one-way street.

That doesn't excuse his behavior of course. It just shows that what actually happened was not quite as dangerous as what some are saying happened.

[quote name="Rayl" post="38503" timestamp="1392405839"]OK. Look back in the thread a bit. Someone posted the statement of what the officer reported he saw. Straight from the horse's mouth, Hanner was not driving the wrong way down a one-way street.

That doesn't excuse his behavior of course. It just shows that what actually happened was not quite as dangerous as what some are saying happened.[/quote]

Right on man thanks for correcting me

[quote name="schoosier" post="38450" timestamp="1392400883"]Another issue that may come up is how will this effect his "green card" status? I remember the douchebag assistant at Baylor threatening to deport Hanner if he didn't sign with them, and I could see some Boiler politician or alumni running with this. I will say though, Hanners performance so far will probably not raise an eyebrow.[/quote]

If Justin Bieber doesn't get deported for it than Hanner should be fine :) and 100,00+0 people signed a petition to get him deported lol
[attachment=428:ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1392408915.066848.jpg]