Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

How's Hollowell Doing?

Fill me in here please, i haven't watched much. Did a 3 game suspension provide a wakeup call? I'll be honest, he was never on my favorites list, but he's part of the team now and i accept that. Hope he can become what some say he can. Half his career is over. Keep it clean.

Fill me in here please, i haven't watched much. Did a 3 game suspension provide a wakeup call? I'll be honest, he was never on my favorites list, but he's part of the team now and i accept that. Hope he can become what some say he can. Half his career is over. Keep it clean.

He still looked lost as ever against UM, one sequence that I recall specifically is when he half-assed challenged a 3 point shot, then didn't really try to grab the rebound, and then fouled a UM player all in a 5-10 second span. 

I mean, I don't think he looks nearly as bad as he did before the "suspension," but that could be mostly due to the fact that we get a little dose of him in each game now, with him playing roughly 10 minutes. He has had a few good plays and a few bad plays since coming back, but I still don't think we know exactly where he stands.

He doesn't look as bad, but I mean that is saying a ton. His defense has been better, offensively it is such a small sample size, and his usage rate is so low it really isn't a big enough sample size to say the suspension helped, hurt, or really didn't do anything on the offensive end

[quote name="hoosier716" post="35073" timestamp="1391465487"]Here's hoping Hollowell transfers out at the end of the season. We need bigs who can play college ball. Hollowell plays like he is still in high school[/quote]

He won't take the easy way out.

Other than Yogi, he's the only one who has a shot at actually being a really good player for Indiana from his class, which is why I support him. Have to stick with him for now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He plays too straight up to play a 1-2, which is where CTC had him. He doesn't look comfortable there, hasn't since he's been at IU. This offseason he has to work on his jump shot, so he can be a catch and shoot guy like CWAT. Or he needs to bulk up and work on his post game and become a true front court player. Just my 5 cents 

[quote name="ElectricBoogaloo" post="35078" timestamp="1391466440"]I can't wait for another offseason of hearing how much work Hollowell and Perea are putting in to make themselves better. Whatever they're doing, maybe it's time to try something else.[/quote]

Guys... They are Sophomores... Sophomores who didn't get much playing time their first season, not much their second. Indiana should have to rely on Sophomores to come in and dominate. Don't give up on the. U til 365 days from today. Then all bets are off

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Guys... They are Sophomores... Sophomores who didn't get much playing time their first season, not much their second. Indiana should have to rely on Sophomores to come in and dominate. Don't give up on the. U til 365 days from today. Then all bets are off

Perea has a LONG way to go, and it will definitely be an uphill battle for him.  He did not grow up playing this game, he doesn't have a feel for the game because of it, and that absolutely works against him.  He's also trying to learn a position with a bigger learning curve, with no feel for the game.  The reason he was so totally lost last year wasn't because of the 9 game suspension, I saw him play for La Lu and it was the same way, he was just totally and completely lost because he didn't have any feel for the game.  He's gotten better, but he's still lost out there.

Hollowell did grow up playing the game, I think his problem is mental and just needing to "get it".  Don't underestimate how much it hurts not playing the game until your 14 or 15.

In this day, I think highly rated sophomores are definitely counted on to at least contribute if not become one of the best players on a team. I think everyone had big expectations for Hollowell in particular.

Hollowell looks better, but isn't getting enough playing time to really gauge his production. I'm a Hollowell fan, and I think he will be just fine. I will be honest, he just hasn't looked comfortable all season. He was asked to basically be a 5 this year, and then a backup PG this year. I think he will be a good surprise, just hope it's soon. Going back to this off-season, I stated he won't be great until his Junior season. I have been wrong saying he would start to break out in the BIG10 season though. He has a lot of potential and the talent is there, but imo, he's not there mentally.

I could easily be wrong on that, but if his mind catches up to his skills, he will be better than CWat. He is actually a decent shooter, but he's a hot or cold guy too often. Going back to last season, if he made his first bucket, he would make a few more. If he missed his first, he wasn't going to shoot. He's still young, and hasn't figured himself out yet. I think we will come to appreciate JH instead of being disappointed. However, it might not be until next year.

Too much emphasis is placed on potential and not enough on execution. Quit worrying about Hollowel's potential and focus on his execution. If he wants to play more, he needs to produce more. It worked for Landon Turner and it can work for Hollowel if he wants it. 

[quote name="JonO" post="35157" timestamp="1391480551"]Too much emphasis is placed on potential and not enough on execution. Quit worrying about Hollowel's potential and focus on his execution. If he wants to play more, he needs to produce more. It worked for Landon Turner and it can work for Hollowel if he wants it. [/quote]

Hard to do that with no confidence and limited minutes. Hell the kid makes a nice play and gets put on the bench.

Hard to do that with no confidence and limited minutes. Hell the kid makes a nice play and gets put on the bench.

Huh?  Hollowell got lots of playing time last year and this year and hasn't done jack either year. I've seen more life at a funeral home. The Hollowell experiment lasted too long. 

[quote name="JonO" post="35754" timestamp="1391739056"]Huh? Hollowell got lots of playing time last year and this year and hasn't done jack either year. I've seen more life at a funeral home. The Hollowell experiment lasted too long. [/quote]

Jeremy played less than 10 minutes/game last year and only 8 per conference game. BlueDevil has it right. He can't get into a rhythm because since he got sat he gets about 3 minutes a game so we can't see if he is truly improving.