Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Just now, RoncalliHoosier said:

I'm gonna do my part to open his eyes about this.

Yeah, I won't be watching next year.

If they don't care about the basketball team, why should the fans?

We've seen that Hunter Yurachek at Arkansas cares about their basketball team. We've seen that Dolson does not care about IU's. Time to find an AD who cares.

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

We've seen that Hunter Yurachek at Arkansas cares about their basketball team. We've seen that Dolson does not care about IU's. Time to find an AD who cares.

If showing you care is crazy overpaying for a 64 year old John Calipari whose teams have consistently underachieved starting the moment every team was allowed to deliver a bag of cash?

Then count me as not wanting someone who "cares." 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If showing you care is crazy overpaying for a 64 year old John Calipari whose teams have consistently underachieved starting the moment every team was allowed to deliver a bag of cash?

Then count me as not wanting someone who "cares." 

And really this has nothing to do with Arkansas AD's, he did nothing of substance. Jerome Tang and Chris Beard both turned down the job Saturday and Yurachek was pivoting towards Miss St coach Chris Jans and UALR coach Darrell Walker as early as yesterday morning. It wasn't until John Tyson, CEO of Tyson Foods and Calipari's drinking buddy, came to the AD and fronted the money for Calipari's salary and NIL expenditures. 

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

And really this has nothing to do with Arkansas AD's, he did nothing of substance. Jerome Tang and Chris Beard both turned down the job Saturday and Yurachek was pivoting towards Miss St coach Chris Jans and UALR coach Darrell Walker as early as yesterday morning. It wasn't until John Tyson. CEO of Tyson Foods and Calipari's drinking buddy, came to the AD and fronted the money for Calipari's salary and NIL expenditures. 

Exactly. 

And that is one of the reasons why it is a bad decision. 

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It's far less crazy than overpaying a 63 year old mediocre NBA coach with no college experience. Calipari, for all of his baggage has at least accomplished something in the NCAA tournament. No worse than Dolson looking (seriously) at guys like Pearl and Oats.

go_iu_bb posted that hiring Calipari shows that Arky's AD cares more than IU.

Kowtowing to big money boosters to hire an old Calipari who underperforms is not caring. It's a bad decision and that has nothing to do with Dolson or Woodson.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

go_iu_bb posted that hiring Calipari shows that Arky's AD cares more than IU.

Kowtowing to big money boosters to hire an old Calipari who underperforms is not caring. It's a bad decision and that has nothing to do with Dolson or Woodson.

This board was over the moon with the thought of IU doing the same for Bruce Pearl. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

This board was over the moon with the thought of IU doing the same for Bruce Pearl. 

Not me!

And that's with seeing that Pearl is currently a vastly superior basketball coach to Calipari. There are plenty of great possible choices. The choice for IU, UK, Arky, or any number of big budget schools doesn't have to be a 64 year old.

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Pretty sure Stuhoo was one of the few with very little desire to hire Bruce Pearl. I could be wrong though. Pretty much said the same thing about Pearl as he's saying about Cal. 

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Pretty sure Stuhoo was one of the few with very little desire to hire Bruce Pearl. I could be wrong though. Pretty much said the same thing about Pearl as he's saying about Cal. 

I think Pearl is a far better choice than Calipari. Worlds better.

But to me the object is to roll the dice on a potential 30 year hire, not grab a 64 year old who is looking for a big pre-retirement paycheck.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not me!

And that's with seeing that Pearl is currently a vastly superior basketball coach to Calipari. There are plenty of great possible choices. The choice for IU, UK, Arky, or any number of big budget schools doesn't have to be a 64 year old.

Same here,  but we were in a pretty small minority.  In any event I don't think you can say Pearl is vastly superior to Cal. Maybe if you can get to some sort of equivalency based on recency. Maybe.

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

And really this has nothing to do with Arkansas AD's, he did nothing of substance. Jerome Tang and Chris Beard both turned down the job Saturday and Yurachek was pivoting towards Miss St coach Chris Jans and UALR coach Darrell Walker as early as yesterday morning. It wasn't until John Tyson, CEO of Tyson Foods and Calipari's drinking buddy, came to the AD and fronted the money for Calipari's salary and NIL expenditures. 

So Arkansas went after Tang (good coach), Beard (POS human but a good coach), then had backups of Jans (better than .700 career winning percentage and has been ok the first couple of years at Miss State) and Walker (this is a questionable choice) but then ends up with a HOF coach in Calipari. Overall, seems like he was going after winners.

Compare that to Dolson: went after Stevens who was a pipedream and then had no backup plans so ended up with Woodson.

If you're going to hire an old coach, I'd take Calipari over Woodson every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I don't really care for him or his system very much, but he doesn't act like an arrogant p**ck like Woodson and at least he's not stuck trying to force '90s basketball to work.

3 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

So Arkansas went after Tang (good coach), Beard (POS human but a good coach), then had backups of Jans (better than .700 career winning percentage and has been ok the first couple of years at Miss State) and Walker (this is a questionable choice) but then ends up with a HOF coach in Calipari. Overall, seems like he was going after winners.

Compare that to Dolson: went after Stevens who was a pipedream and then had no backup plans so ended up with Woodson.

If you're going to hire an old coach, I'd take Calipari over Woodson every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I don't really care for him or his system very much, but he doesn't act like an arrogant p**ck like Woodson and at least he's not stuck trying to force '90s basketball to work.

If you believe what @KathywithaC had to say, QB told Dolson if he missed on Stevens he had to hire Woodson, which would mean that Woodson was the back-up plan.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

What does that have to do with the AD? You're giving the AD way too much credit on this hire. He wasn't even a target until a donor stepped up and paid for it all. He struck out on everyone he was targeting beforehand. Most Arkansas fans wanted HY out up until 11pm last night. 

6 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

If you believe what @KathywithaC had to say, QB told Dolson if he missed on Stevens he had to hire Woodson, which would mean that Woodson was the back-up plan.

So a pipe dream or Buckner's unqualified friend. I would've resigned since I wouldn't be allowed to do my job.

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

What does that have to do with the AD? You're giving the AD way too much credit on this hire. He wasn't even a target until a donor stepped up and paid for it all. He struck out on everyone he was targeting beforehand. Most Arkansas fans wanted HY out up until 11pm last night. 

Ultimately, ADs do the hiring and firing so they get the credit or blame.

Dolson extended Allen.

Dolson hired Woodson.

Dolson extended Woodson.

CC looks like a good hire but still hasn't coached a game at IU.

Dolson has made more mistakes than good decisions and they've been terrible, costly mistakes. He simply isn't a very good AD.

If you believe what [mention=9265]KathywithaC[/mention] had to say, QB told Dolson if he missed on Stevens he had to hire Woodson, which would mean that Woodson was the back-up plan.

That’s just pathetic.