Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

IU is one of the best fanbases in the nation. Top 5 in attendance no matter the results.  Have been incredibly patient despite years of bad results.  

But we need a “uniter” at this point and what Woody pulled last season with the “True Fan” and the social media presence has divided the fanbase worse than I think I’ve seen. I’m 43.  
It wouldn’t be that hard with our resources.  Our fanbase enjoys good, fundamental basketball and can recognize it.  Hustle plays, good shooting, defense, etc.  Hopefully this is the year it looks better on the court.  

Uh, no.  IU does not need a uniter.

IU needs a winner.  

RMK was not a uniter. 

Unite the fans...yeah, right.  Now there's a priority to put into a head coach's contract. /s

3 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Uh, no.  IU does not need a uniter.

IU needs a winner.  

RMK was not a uniter. 

Unite the fans...yeah, right.  Now there's a priority to put into a head coach's contract. /s

Kinda thinking you and Wayne are both right:

A winner will automatically unite the fans.

IU is one of the best fanbases in the nation. Top 5 in attendance no matter the results.  Have been incredibly patient despite years of bad results.  

But we need a “uniter” at this point and what Woody pulled last season with the “True Fan” and the social media presence has divided the fanbase worse than I think I’ve seen. I’m 43.  
It wouldn’t be that hard with our resources.  Our fanbase enjoys good, fundamental basketball and can recognize it.  Hustle plays, good shooting, defense, etc.  Hopefully this is the year it looks better on the court.  

Piss on that. 

We need a winner. 

We had a uniter in Crean and yall couldn't get over him adjusting his pants and clapping. 

23 minutes ago, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

Piss on that. 

We need a winner. 

We had a uniter in Crean and yall couldn't get over him adjusting his pants and clapping. 

I am glad that Crean adjusted his pants.  And his clapping is a lot better than 4-letter words or the stares or sitting on court on a stool or cheating.

I lived in Wisconsin and Crean had a history at Marquette.  Let's just say that he was in sales almost 100% of the time.  He sold to recruits and then didn't stick to his guns.  He sold his spin on every single thing.  Overhyped players, the team, himself, his opinions....   Then he got his big fish...Wade.  And sold that for years.  He sold running faster and take a break on defense and other things.  He thought that working harder and longer meant winning.  He forgot the part about working smarter.  But that would not have been Tom Crean. In summary, what bothered me was the overreliance on athletes and not the team and mailing in on defense which should be used to an advantage.

No one else may have wanted the IU job when it was offered to Crean.  The IU demands and administration were a bit too much of a risk or bummer for lots of prospects, it appeared.  

We need a winner.  We might just have one in men's basketball this year.  Maybe.  

Is there any money to give Mike Woodson another raise before the 2024-2025 season.  It seems like he should be about due.  Maybe, that will help.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

People like winners. Yes, the way to unite the fanbase (as much as is possible) is to win.

If a coach doesn't win, the fan base won't be united regardless of how charismatic he might be. Even a coach who loses a lot wouldn't unite the fanbase against him since there are plenty who would still defend him and say he just needs more time.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

There will never be a 100% fan unity, someone will find something to complain about. If we were 39-0 going into the championship game and we lose by 1 on a last second 70 foot shot someone would find fault.

59 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

There will never be a 100% fan unity, someone will find something to complain about. If we were 39-0 going into the championship game and we lose by 1 on a last second 70 foot shot someone would find fault.

Yes, should have been up by 4

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

When I say a “Uniter” I mean someone that hasn’t already divided and seems to be happy to continue to divide.  Winning Consistently for sure is the biggest hurdle. Woody started as a “Uniter” “us against them” guy but this season he turned on a huge portion of the fanbase.  Instead of taking accountability and saying he didn’t live up to his own expectations and these are the things we are going to do to fix it. He went on a crusade against fans not happy with him not reaching the expectations he acknowledges. Just completely backwards strategy and could have been much easier if he could have swallowed some pride. 

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

When I say a “Uniter” I mean someone that hasn’t already divided and seems to be happy to continue to divide.  Winning Consistently for sure is the biggest hurdle. Woody started as a “Uniter” “us against them” guy but this season he turned on a huge portion of the fanbase.  Instead of taking accountability and saying he didn’t live up to his own expectations and these are the things we are going to do to fix it. He went on a crusade against fans not happy with him not reaching the expectations he acknowledges. Just completely backwards strategy and could have been much easier if he could have swallowed some pride. 

Don’t really think his comments registered with very many.

Nothing that 25+ wins wouldn’t cure instantly.

Sorry but I don't believe the bold. 

Easier, yes, maybe a little. 

The issue is NOT how Woodson treats anyone, THE issue was the product. I don't believe him having a different demeanor would have resulted in any more fans supporting him/whatever. 

----- 

Over a 2 year frame we were 56-16, Top 10 team one year, Top 3 team the next... under Crean and in those seasons all I can remember is..

- the subbing is wrong

- mannerism complaints 

- why do we shoot so many 3s? 

- omg early exits in the BTT

- omg we're oversigned with too much talent, we'll have to CREAN someone? Tf

Yodda yodda. Sure that's the "job" of fans, I guess, right? 

There was never a time anyone sat back and was like--- "huh--- this ain't so bad"... Just beat Kentucky when they were the NC, took them to the ropes the next game, won the B1G when Michigan, OSU, and MSU were all DAMN good. 

---------- 

Respectfully--- I just disagree his demeanor really matters. There's enough evidence, to me, to back that up. 

Win games--- be an @$$ to everyone--- and our fanbase will cherish you. 

That's our M.O. 

18 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Do you know the man? Good lord; an @$$ of a person?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I’ve gotten the impression that people that know Mike Woodson love and respect him as a person. And yet you don’t know him personally and somehow formed that conclusion. 

I formed that conclusion based off what he did during senior night!  Putting fans against fans and classify people like me as not being true fans really stuck into my crawl!  I’ve been an IU basketball fan long before he became a player but yet I’m not a true fan!  That crap is BS and he shouldn’t have never said it because he can’t take criticism.  

8 hours ago, Scotty R said:

You would still hate him if he won a championship. You probably were some of the idiots that said going to the 2002 championship was a bad thing. Most college coaches are a holes

And yet you calling me an idiot makes you the biggest idiot!  You don’t even know me nor do I care!  No, I wasn’t one of those people, going to the title game was awesome but making an interim coach that has never coached a D1 program as the head coach was the wrong decision and move.

8 hours ago, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

But--- we need an "Indiana" guy, we need a "Knight" guy, we need a guy that understands IUs history. 

So now we don't need those things? 

Just get rid of the meanie head and its all cured? Wild

I’ve never said any of that!  Sounds like something you would say 

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I formed that conclusion based off what he did during senior night!  Putting fans against fans and classify people like me as not being true fans really stuck into my crawl!  I’ve been an IU basketball fan long before he became a player but yet I’m not a true fan!  That crap is BS and he shouldn’t have never said it because he can’t take criticism.  

15 seconds that you didn’t appreciate led to judge the entirety of the guy?

Dang, that would be a helluva tough standard to meet with people that you encounter regularly. I would imagine that you regularly treat people with grace and kindness, even after they get under your skin for a minute. Maybe try that with Mike Woodson?

Exactly!!!!  Instead of taking accountability for his bad roster construction and decisions, he desides to divide the fanbase of true fans vs non true fans based on his only definition which is non true fans criticized him and didn’t 100% support what he was doing and the coaching job he did last year!