Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2023-24 IUBB ROSTER

Let me chime in here.
I had heard the Cupps vs Smith comparisons all season (Smith, to his credit, had a better season  just completed than I thought possible) and, to be able to get my own perspective, went to watch Centerville play against Anderson March 4th at UD Arena in Dayton for the OHSAA State Tournament.
Cupps - in my opinion - is better RIGHT NOW than Smith. He is a better athlete (although he obviously will need to get stronger to not hit the freshman wall Smith did late in the season), is better defensively (long arms on a 6-2 frame) and is a better ball handler.
No, he hasn’t been the scorer Smith was in HS, but that was IMO due to the role that he played for the Elks. He is a pure point guard with outstanding floor awareness and vision, and confidence to boot. I have no doubt he will provide meaningful minutes next year.
Here is a great article about him. Folks, we’re getting a winner. You’re going to love this kid.
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/recruiting/next-generation-indiana-signee-gabe-cupps-coachs-son-with-unwavering-determination

I guess we get to find out. I’m hoping Cupps has another gear or 2. Defensively he’s smart but not at all a lockdown guy. Decent athleticism. Luckily the B1G isn’t packed with tremendous point guards with elite athleticism but I’m curious to see how he does against the stronger, faster ones. Smith defends with a different tenacity. Although with his size he has no choice. Cupps is going to be an intriguing follow to see how it translates.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

He’s not NBA athletic. Think someone said it best above, he’s not unathletic, but that’s not the same as a guy like Yogi, different body type, completely different level of speed - Yogi had NBA speed as a frosh and was ranked a 5 star for it

Oh, I agree he’s not the athlete that Jalen is, or NBA athletic. But he’s athletic enough, and he can play. Anything that he lacks athletically he more than makes up with in his basketball, knowledge and savvyness.

1 minute ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Oh, I agree he’s not the athlete that Jalen is, or NBA athletic. But he’s athletic enough, and he can play. Anything that he lacks athletically he more than makes up with in his basketball, knowledge and savvyness.

Definitely shows potential— again i’m hoping he’s in the mold of a Hulls. I remember Hulls’ frosh year when people were complaining he wasn’t quick or athletic or strong enough to play with B1G guards, but he had such good vision and playmaking ability and he continued to develop, got stronger, turned his shooting into elite college outside shooting, and became one of the better college on-ball and off-ball guards. Loved what he brought and how he developed— here’s to hoping we see similar stuff from Cupps

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

Definitely shows potential— again i’m hoping he’s in the mold of a Hulls. I remember Hulls’ frosh year when people were complaining he wasn’t quick or athletic or strong enough to play with B1G guards, but he had such good vision and playmaking ability and he continued to develop, got stronger, turned his shooting into elite college outside shooting, and became one of the better college on-ball and off-ball guards. Loved what he brought and how he developed— here’s to hoping we see similar stuff from Cupps

I’ve seen both. Gabe is much better than Hulls. He’s not the shooter Jordan was but he’s a much better overall player..

47 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

I’m honestly stunned at some of the Cupps takes. Comparing him to JHS is just insane…or even Yogi. Again…I’ve seen little of him…but why is he only a fringe top 100 kid if he is this good? Why do IU fans seem to think he is much better than the scouts do? I’ll say it again, he seems very small, slow and not terribly athletic. 

Maybe I missed some posts on previous pages, but the ones I've seen haven't been saying that Cupps is comparable to Yogi or JHS. The ones I've seen have been saying that he's not like them.

10 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Maybe I missed some posts on previous pages, but the ones I've seen haven't been saying that Cupps is comparable to Yogi or JHS. The ones I've seen have been saying that he's not like them.

You missed some posts. 
:)

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess we get to find out. I’m hoping Cupps has another gear or 2. Defensively he’s smart but not at all a lockdown guy. Decent athleticism. Luckily the B1G isn’t packed with tremendous point guards with elite athleticism but I’m curious to see how he does against the stronger, faster ones. Smith defends with a different tenacity. Although with his size he has no choice. Cupps is going to be an intriguing follow to see how it translates.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

You also have to consider who Smith had down low when assessing his defense. When you have Edey backing you up you can afford to play more aggressively on the perimeter. 

I don't recall Hulls being a point guard in high school or at IU. I remember him as a shooting guard. From the limited games I've watched with Cupps I don't see much common ground with Hulls. Cupps is as true of a point guard as I have seen in some time. He knows who is and stays in that role.

52 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't recall Hulls being a point guard in high school or at IU. I remember him as a shooting guard. From the limited games I've watched with Cupps I don't see much common ground with Hulls. Cupps is as true of a point guard as I have seen in some time. He knows who is and stays in that role.

He played both on and off ball. That was Crean’s dual ball handler approach 

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

Bingo

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Isn’t the dog or defender that Craft was.  I guess he could become that but it’s not his comp. 

Agree he’s not the defender - at least at this point.

Not sure how you define “dog”, but the kid doesn’t run away from the spotlight and embraces challenges. As an 8th grader he had the balls to go after Lebron in a shooting match. Yeah, he lost, but how many junior high kids would do that?

His body needs to catch up to his game. But before it’s all said and done he’s going to be an all-time Hoosier fan favorite.

5 hours ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

I’ve seen both. Gabe is much better than Hulls. He’s not the shooter Jordan was but he’s a much better overall player..

I haven't seen Cupps enough to know, but everything I've read and heard says he's a much better athlete than Hulls. Not much really of a comparison between the two. 

Also in terms of style, Hulls, who was great, was a shooting guard in a point guards body. Cupps is a point guard. 

6 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He’s not NBA athletic. Think someone said it best above, he’s not unathletic, but that’s not the same as a guy like Yogi, different body type, completely different level of speed - Yogi had NBA speed as a frosh and was ranked a 5 star for it

Which, I accounted for.. I mentioned Yogi had more of a burst? Or I thought. I certainly think so. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Which, I accounted for.. I mentioned Yogi had more of a burst? Or I thought. I certainly think so. 

Think you said to the effect of maybe a little more burst. Yogi was NBA quick. There’s really no legit comparison between the two at this point (imo), other than their playing the 1. 

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He played both on and off ball. That was Crean’s dual ball handler approach 

But Hulls did not play the point in HS. Dee Davis did, and Colt Ryan in AAU. 

Gabe is the guy on the ball. They just aren't that similar.