Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IUBB @ Michigan State - Tuesday, 2/21/23 @ 9:00 on ESPN

47 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Most popular guys are guys who aren't playing.  About this time last year people were wanting to know why wouldn't get a shooter like Anthony Leal on the floor.

I'm still wondering why he's not on the floor. If anything, he's easily our best swing passer. Ball never sticks.

39 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I would say I would be surprised if JHS is back

That is pretty much a consensus view, although JHS would benefit from another year of seasoning. His shooting and judgment in general is pretty inconsistent and he would likely struggle initially as a professional.. But the NBA drafts on potential and he clearly has NBA potential.

33 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The flirted with leaving stuff is just board talk. He excelled and was playing good minutes (including 30) when Race was out. Hasn’t shown well since injury return but still a lot of games to play, and he’s a starter next season. No one here knows what his mindset is, but he isn’t hanging his head on the bench he’s engaged. We’ll see

I don’t think he is certain to start next year at all.  

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm still wondering why he's not on the floor. If anything, he's easily our best swing passer. Ball never sticks

I agree. Leal is a much more reliable player than CJ Gunn who is shooting a dreadful 8.3% from 3-point range. Gunn should stop shooting threes until he figures out what is wrong with his shot.

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don’t think he is certain to start next year at all.  

Nothing’s certain, but he started consistently while Race was out and after the first 2-3 played strong. How the rest of the year goes and summer matters, but as of now he’d start with Malik

9 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Banks has been really good in his limited minutes.  He came in and immediately contested a couple shots and forced a charge.  He has a knack for being around the ball and making plays.  He has shown he can shoot and drive to the bucket.

He is a better basketball player than Geronimo right now and should be getting minutes.  I think the reason he isn’t is because CMW is maybe a little stubborn in how much he value he places on upperclassmen even if they aren’t playing well (see Bates).  He deserves minutes based on his play and I hope the second half indicates maybe he will.  Gunn had a chance earlier this year and didn’t really impress but Banks has.

Banks really hasn’t been good. Last night was an outlier. There is a reason he has played limited minutes. He’s not ready. He can’t shoot and struggles to finish. Always lost on defense.

8 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Lord help us if he becomes a starter, he can’t even produce consistently in the role he is in, which leads me to believe he has never accepted his role

Geronimo played consistently when he was starting while Race Thompson was out. He played well coming off the bench last year but has struggled coming off the bench this year. "Never accepted his role" is pure conjecture.

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

If he isn’t a guaranteed lottery pick, he’ll be back!

I personally hope you’re right. As of now he’s supposedly (cant put much weight in mocks) around 20. Individual team workouts and feedback will tell him what he needs to know, and he’ll make the call. I don’t think he’s ready, too much inconsistency, but he has the full package for the NBA, I’d think either this year or next he’ll go.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I personally hope you’re right. As of now he’s supposedly (cant put much weight in mocks) around 20. Individual team workouts and feedback will tell him what he needs to know, and he’ll make the call. I don’t think he’s ready, too much inconsistency, but he has the full package for the NBA, I’d think either this year or next he’ll go.

I 100% agree and if he isn’t a lottery pick there is always that chance he would start out in the G League and he’ll make more $$ at IU with NIL

3 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

Banks really hasn’t been good. Last night was an outlier. There is a reason he has played limited minutes. He’s not ready. He can’t shoot and struggles to finish. Always lost on defense.

We must be watching a different game.  He has looked good in every game he has been in.  He has proven in games he can shoot and drive and finish.  He is pretty good on defense and usually in the right spots.  The tape last night shows that.  He is always around the action and the ball seems to find him.  He competes and plays hard.  The reason he isn’t playing more is because he is a freshman that doesn’t have a five star next to his name and CMW rolls with upperclassmen.

If their is anyone who is lost on defense and shouldn’t be playing it’s Geronimo.  He is always out of position and is a foul and turnover machine.  He isn’t playing much and really shouldn’t be playing at all.

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I 100% agree and if he isn’t a lottery pick there is always that chance he would start out in the G League and he’ll make more $$ at IU with NIL

There are also major differences in situation and likelihood of success in which team drafts you. Get an organization like Spurs, Celtics (depending also on who they already have at guard/depth), and chances are much better than a Sacto etc. Organization matters, another factor for the player to strongly consider 

I know this is a Michigan State thread but I can’t stand the unbalanced schedules that the B10 has created because of the extra teams and playing 20 games.  IU hasn’t had a week off since B10 resumed and to throw salt into our tired wound, Purdue almost gets an entire week off before our game against them.  So we are extremely unlucky to have to play a well rested Purdue team.  Their last game was a blowout against OSU in which their main players rested for the biggest part of the 2nd half

3 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

We must be watching a different game.  He has looked good in every game he has been in.  He has proven in games he can shoot and drive and finish.  He is pretty good on defense and usually in the right spots.  The tape last night shows that.  He is always around the action and the ball seems to find him.  He competes and plays hard.  The reason he isn’t playing more is because he is a freshman that doesn’t have a five star next to his name and CMW rolls with upperclassmen.

If their is anyone who is lost on defense and shouldn’t be playing it’s Geronimo.  He is always out of position and is a foul and turnover machine.  He isn’t playing much and really shouldn’t be playing at all.

I concur with both Banks and Geronimo 

7 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Definitely watching a different game. He has not proven he can shoot and finish. That’s just false. He’s shooting around 40% in big ten play and almost every shot is from 5 feet and in. He plays hard but the team drops off when he is on the court…hence the plus/minus. 

Edited by normandale97

12 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

He has proven in games he can shoot and drive and finish.

In which games?  

He’s long, athletic and scrappy. He cleans up  some buckets around the rim. That’s not nothing, and I like his upside. He’ll be a good player.  I don’t recall a game where’s he’s shown any shooting prowess, off the dribble or spot up.   

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Same with the 12-13 team.

That team would’ve been better off with Woodson. Crean has no idea how to use post players and outside of hulls most of those players could barely get a post entry to Zeller. Agree on the ‘16 team, though.