Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB at Northwestern - Sunday, 1/8/23 @ 3:00 on B1G+

Hoosiers cruise in the 4th Q and get a 72-50 road win over NW and move to 4-1 in conference play.

Pts:  Mack 24; Grace 16; Sydney 12; Garzon 9

Reb:  Mack 13; Sydney 8; Garzon 5

Asst:  Grace 5; Chloe 3

Only 37% FG largely due to just 3-22 on 3s.    19-21 FT                 Dominated the boards and had 14 offensive boards.

Next Thursday we host Maryland and on Sunday Wisconsin will be in town.

I was wrong in my thinking about G. Berger return paralleling it to Holmes last year.  She is really really back.  Impressive.  

It would be good if Scalia would get double figures.

Puzzling 3 point shooting…maybe climb a ladder and look down through the rims through the net to see that it really is big enough for the basketball to go through.

For all the complaining about BTN+ the NW students broadcasting on it today were excellent I thought.

Also, all the games against the top half of the league (except Illinois since they were expected to be at bottom and surprising everyone) are on regular TV. Its only the games against the bottom feeders that are on BTN+.

There is certainly a case to be made for putting all the games on regular TV, but any good team they play in the league will be on BTN or another cable channel. After Feb 1, when they play all fellow contenders, will see every game on cable TV the rest of the regular season and all of postseason. Plenty of TV games coming up soon including three in the next couple weeks against the fellow elite squads.

I think there is a case to be made to televise games statewide (other universities/colleges statewide as well) …similar to what was yes, what are called ‘back in the good old days’ now.  Besides IU basketball games with Chuck Marlow…Chesty potato chips sponsored some Butler games and Stokely Van Camp sponsored the Indianapolis Indians.  Today, the IHSAA televises some high school games/sports.  Some say lack of fan support but there is a lot of interest in COLLEGE (not pro so much) LADIES BASKETBALL  without all the support, exposure and promotion compared to the men’s side.  There are alot of girls, parents, old men and old women that are very interested in their respective College Ladies basketball programs. So until major tv channels quit showing all the junk and start showing Ladies college basketball games of interest I think there is a real need for locally televised college Ladies basketball games.  A paradigm opportunity.

Note:  105.1 radio signal gets drowned out by Hispanic music in Indianapolis area.  (but 105.1 can be streamed).  Austin Render does a great job and never missed a beat taking over from the guy before him who also did a great job.

Grace scored 16 points, pushing her career total to 1,609, which is 10th all-time in school history. 

Mack eclipsed 1,500 career points in the win, the 15th player in school history to record over 1,500 points and now has 1,522 career points, 14th all-time in school history.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/finally-healthy-iu-womens-basketball-takes-down-northwestern/?fbclid=IwAR3mW2eQoq8orPPpzLsvfmdJ5K_ZnPV2Y0SY7KnM87Eu89-tubtuE9ECpQ4

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

O$U (6-0) beat Illinois (4-2) earlier today to remain undefeated in conference play.

17 down in 3rd quarter.  OSU has been down big a couple of times and came back to win.

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We're in the women's thread!    They're damn good and deserve better than B1G+

16 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

exactly

What channel should they have been on yesterday? The docket was full, fellas. I think we need to be thinking more like "I'm glad I get to watch them at all"....

I assume 20 years ago it wasn't an option to watch most IUWBB games, right? 

Now.. BTN+ does need to improve. @Aaron mentioned it was better yesterday, and basketball in general has been "okay" on there... but baseball REALLY needs to improve. 

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What channel should they have been on yesterday? The docket was full, fellas. I think we need to be thinking more like "I'm glad I get to watch them at all"....

Now.. BTN+ does need to improve. @Aaron mentioned it was better yesterday, and basketball in general has been "okay" on there... but baseball REALLY needs to improve. 

I noticed yesterday that the Pac 12 network has some games that are free online (Standford/California game was free yesterday). It would be nice if BTN+ did the same.

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm sorry but this does not fly. They are a top 5- 10 team in the nation representing the  Big ten. Maybe not on cable but fans shouldn't have to pay extra for that caliber of a team.  You can even show that game for free on an online platform.  With a program still young but thriving the profit potential for IU is much more beneficial (donations, NIL purchases, showing recruits our relevancy) to have our games easily accesable.  The SEC network did this with the South Carolina teams early on and that specific program is constant and thriving. I want long term stability and not showcasing our team gives us a hit.    

17 minutes ago, J34 said:

The Big Ten Network has 2 or 3 alternate channels, there is no reason they can't put games on those. 

When's the last time they used those for basketball? 

52 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I'm sorry but this does not fly. They are a top 5- 10 team in the nation representing the  Big ten. Maybe not on cable but fans shouldn't have to pay extra for that caliber of a team.  You can even show that game for free on an online platform.  With a program still young but thriving the profit potential for IU is much more beneficial (donations, NIL purchases, showing recruits our relevancy) to have our games easily accesable.  The SEC network did this with the South Carolina teams early on and that specific program is constant and thriving. I want long term stability and not showcasing our team gives us a hit.    

I don't understand your post at all. So, even though their games weren't available before and we were playing on about the busiest sports day of the year.... our women's basketball team should have been free on what channel? vs. a crappy opponent. That is sort of fantasy land to think they are going to do that. 

54 minutes ago, Todd41 said:

I noticed yesterday that the Pac 12 network has some games that are free online (Standford/California game was free yesterday). It would be nice if BTN+ did the same.

Free? You still have to have a cable subscription. 

But.. were those games not just on the regular P12N to begin with? Like wasn't that their regular programming? 

Local antenna (not cable) channels often put on some sports junk or other junk or games located across the country that have no significance or no interest.  I get it…money and pay to view.