Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

TTT

IU Football has committed several million $ to wrong choices and wrong personnel

22 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

You have to have success for this to be a stepping stone job. Go make the best possible hire and if they win and leave that’s a good thing imo.

Yeah I really hate the notion that we need to take a coach’s likelihood of staying into consideration when hiring a coach. That’s a sure fire way to lower the quality of the candidate pool. We hired the guy who’ll “stick around,” but now we’re begging for him to leave. Sucks to say, but an ambitious coach probably isn’t going to stick around IUFB. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hire him if he’s willing to come to town. And you never know, a coach might stick around unexpectedly. Everyone thought Brohm would leave Purdue yet six years later he’s still there and going bowling once again. 

Yeah I really hate the notion that we need to take a coach’s likelihood of staying into consideration when hiring a coach. That’s a sure fire way to lower the quality of the candidate pool. We hired the guy who’ll “stick around,” but now we’re begging for him to leave. Sucks to say, but an ambitious coach probably isn’t going to stick around IUFB. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hire him if he’s willing to come to town. And you never know, a coach might stick around unexpectedly. Everyone thought Brohm would leave Purdue yet six years later he’s still there and going bowling once again. 

I’m trying to find the business case for - hire the mediocre person because they’ll hang around and be mediocre (at best). If a coach succeeds we can either pay them what they deserve or look for the next coach. For having such a great business schools, we’ve made a lot of bad business decisions with coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Odd thing was I thought our recruiting really picked up with Allen and then improved even more after that great year. Maybe not OSU level but I saw several comments about how for us it was much better. Felt like we had all the momentum and then poof the dream ended.  

I never thought recruiting was all that good enough.  It improved for IU who was already at more losses than any other major college football program….(so improved from what).  It improved enough to compete for MAC level or mid major championship.  However, it’s the same old story IU football lands towards the bottom of a league in big ten east. (and IU football is in the loss column to any good non conference team).

4 hours ago, TTT said:

I never thought recruiting was all that good enough.  It improved for IU who was already at more losses than any other major college football program….(so improved from what).  It improved enough to compete for MAC level or mid major championship.  However, it’s the same old story IU football lands towards the bottom of a league in big ten east. (and IU football is in the loss column to any good non conference team).

Pretty sure last year's recruiting class was like 5th in the big ten 

43 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Last years class was good but obviously not translating to a better product on the field yet. It will be interesting to see how many of those guys stick around.

You can pretty much 100% guarantee that McCullough is gone. And he should leave. Beyond a waste of his talent at Indiana.

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Last years class was good but obviously not translating to a better product on the field yet. It will be interesting to see how many of those guys stick around.

Good but highly uneven, especially when you throw in what we had in transfers.  The positions most in need of talent were ignored.

So is this a one time donation or is it for every year. my question is will this money persuade top level talent to come to IU. A million for IU is a lot but some players are getting that amount so will a million go very far for talent.

59 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Good but highly uneven, especially when you throw in what we had in transfers.  The positions most in need of talent were ignored.

The staff’s mismanagement of the OL room (not even counting the OL coach, necessarily) going 3-4 years back will be what does them in. They started panic signing linemen in 2019 and ended up with something like 24 offensive linemen (not all scholarship, but a big number) on the roster, 3 or 4 of which were B1G caliber. Over-signing that group started taking away spots from other positions and the domino effect was on. They’ve just been holding on for dear life ever since. 

I don’t think recruiting talent in football  is ignored at IU (I think IU tries to get very high level talent) but the high level talent in most cases will not come to IU but go to a higher level football programs.  There is an exception here and there.  This leaves IU football lacking in most positions considering the high level schedule they play.  Then, throw in lack of player development.  However, often a 3 star player (just lacks just a little in ability, skill, speed, etc) tries to develop into a 4 star type player while a 4 star player (with just a little more ability, skill, speed, bigger and better etc) tries to develop into a 5 star player.  This equals a losing IU football program because many IU players just lacked and still lack just a little to play in a higher winning level program so often they become an important player at IU.  There are a few exceptions but not enough to make IU football a high level team to play major league football.