Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2023) CG DeShawn Harris-Smith to Maryland

Won’t have to worry about izzo on this one.  He just had a big rant about where are kids loyalty to the schools.   Talking about not using the portal but has 2 transfers on his current team I believe 

We’ll see. See how many roster holes he has at seasons end. That will determine it, he’s like Teflon, nothing sticks to him.

Woody also suggested numerous times he wants to build through recruiting, yet here we are. IMO, thank goodness, because we didn’t target instant impact makers so hopefully the portal can provide some magic for us.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We’ll see. See how many roster holes he has at seasons end. That will determine it, he’s like Teflon, nothing sticks to him.

Woody also suggested numerous times he wants to build through recruiting, yet here we are. IMO, thank goodness, because we didn’t target instant impact makers so hopefully the portal can provide some magic for us.

What does “yet here we are” even mean?

Dude just signed his first class with 2 5 stars and 3 top 75 players. 

like c’mon 

What does “yet here we are” even mean?

Dude just signed his first class with 2 5 stars and 3 top 75 players. 

like c’mon 

It’s pretty basic. It means he stated multiple times he prefers building through recruiting vs the transfer portal, “yet here we are”. Therefore it’s not his preferred philosophy.

However, I’m on record thinking the Transfer Portal could be exactly what we need losing all the experience we will.

The ‘like c’mon’ is a nice touch of civility.

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s pretty basic. It means he stated multiple times he prefers building through recruiting vs the transfer portal, “yet here we are”. Therefore it’s not his preferred philosophy.

However, I’m on record thinking the Transfer Portal could be exactly what we need losing all the experience we will.

again, given what has happened since woody took the job that comment doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

But really, you turn every recruiting thread into the same. It’s gotten beyond old 

again, given what has happened since woody took the job that comment doesn’t make sense in my opinion.
But really, you turn every recruiting thread into the same. It’s gotten beyond old 

Fair enough. Loved the 22 class especially after Reneau. Loved Banks, think he’s underrated. I call the wins and I call the losses. I’ll.just stop posting. You are all welcome.

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He has also stated in multiple podcast and interviews that while he thinks the portal is bad for college basketball because that’s not how it was done during his time he also understands if it’s here to stay you got to take advantage of it.     He said for his players if you want to enter the portal he can do the same thing and find kids  that want to be here.     

Being 2 cycles in and having 1 transfer cycle where they really didn’t need because most his players came back isn’t enough information for me to state one way or another what his recruiting philosophy is going to be      I know he doesn’t like the portal most older coaches don’t     Roy retired because of it but I would like to see what the staff does in the portal when they actually need to use the portal to see how the staff really feels about the transfer portal 

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Fair enough. Loved the 22 class especially after Reneau. Loved Banks, think he’s underrated. I call the wins and I call the losses. I’ll.just stop posting. You are all welcome.

The 22 class and this roster really came together well. This season should be, at a minimum, solid and something to build upon. I believe there are concerns about what our roster might look like next season should we have the departures many are expecting. Some, maybe most, acknowledge that the current recruits along with the likely returning players won't makeup for the production lost to maintain or improve upon what is likely to happen this season. Some would like to completely ignore it, others have penciled in returning players making Oladipo leaps, and some are concerned we'll return to the roller coaster of previous eras.

I believe many on here want and expect similar from the men's basketball program; consistent success in the form of competing for conference titles and deep tourney runs. Until I see consistency in assembling rosters and winning games, I'll remain skeptical and concerned moving forward to include portal recruiting.

This past off-season we added some nice pieces through high school recruits. However, we absolutely need to shoot better in terms of quantity and quality to reach our goals. There are question marks if that has been addressed through new and returning personnel. Time will tell but I hope we have multiple players step up and be consistent high 30+% makers from deep. I enjoy the discussion on roster management and player acquisitions.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

The 22 class and this roster really came together well. This season should be, at a minimum, solid and something to build upon. I believe there are concerns about what our roster might look like next season should we have the departures many are expecting. Some, maybe most, acknowledge that the current recruits along with the likely returning players won't makeup for the production lost to maintain or improve upon what is likely to happen this season. Some would like to completely ignore it, others have penciled in returning players making Oladipo leaps, and some are concerned we'll return to the roller coaster of previous eras.

I believe many on here want and expect similar from the men's basketball program; consistent success in the form of competing for conference titles and deep tourney runs. Until I see consistency in assembling rosters and winning games, I'll remain skeptical and concerned moving forward to include portal recruiting.

This past off-season we added some nice pieces through high school recruits. However, we absolutely need to shoot better in terms of quantity and quality to reach our goals. There are question marks if that has been addressed through new and returning personnel. Time will tell but I hope we have multiple players step up and be consistent high 30+% makers from deep. I enjoy the discussion on roster management and player acquisitions.

I would just add some might think that the current roster and current recruits along with some transfers will be enough to maintain or improve upon what they do this year.   Not sure I would agree but its their opinion.    College basketball is to unpredictable for anyone to know for sure what is going to happen in the future.    Nothing is guaranteed.   On paper this should  be IU’s best team they have had in a little bit but you never know until they start playing games if they will even be the case.   You did hit the nail on the head for me about the shooting to be better.   If IU is going to get to where they want to be they will need to figure this out through high school recruits, transfers or current roster.  They will have to get this figured out.   
 Great post Aloha 

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I would just add some might think that the current roster and current recruits along with some transfers will be enough to maintain or improve upon what they do this year.   Not sure I would agree but its their opinion.    College basketball is to unpredictable for anyone to know for sure what is going to happen in the future.    Nothing is guaranteed.   On paper this should  be IU’s best team they have had in a little bit but you never know until they start playing games if they will even be the case.   You did hit the nail on the head for me about the shooting to be better.   If IU is going to get to where they want to be they will need to figure this out through high school recruits, transfers or current roster.  They will have to get this figured out.   
 Great post Aloha 

Unfortunately, we're in a position where we simply need to build to a level of consistency that is above average as a program. It's crazy to think IU men's basketball is in this position but here we are. That's finishing top half of the conference and regularly advancing in the dance. I have my concerns we'll reach this level of consistency in the near future but that's a different discussion. We need to do this over the next 2-3 years without the bottom falling out and dropping to the back half of the conference (where we've lived for the past 5-6 years). Another data point to consider, the Big 1.o appears down this season making the likelihood of us finishing in the top half greater.

That's all to state, if we dominate the Big 1.o this season and go on to reach a Final Four with the majority of our main contributors leaving it's natural we'd take a step back. However, I'd still expect Woody to have the roster at a point where we're finishing at the top half of the conference and NCAA tourney invite. The highs and lows need to be gone and, at minimum, need to steadily build.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

^^Love this^^ 

I veer towards a positive conclusion—it’s my nature. However, whether it’s in private business, the public sector, or a basketball organization, for me the most important factors are:

1. Leadership 
  2. Culture 
  3. Enough talent to work with. Not ‘ultimate’ talent, enough talent.

So for me, misplaced optimism (retrospectively) is when there was excitement about a potential Archie Miller recruit or lineup. The reason? Archie Miller did not have the leadership qualities, did not hire and enable staff to mitigate his deficiencies, and did not enable the culture necessary to win at the highest level.

So if Woody is the right guy, he will put the right staff around him and he will hold that staff accountable while letting them do their jobs and fill the entirety of needed staff skills. The same attitude will filter down to player accountability and development. The positive results will then be inevitable, and will happen even when TJD and Race are replaced in the starting lineup by Reneau and Geronimo or Duncomb or a portal guy.

If we don’t have the right leaders and Woody is not the right guy? It won’t matter that much how many stars are next to the names of our recruits.

Moreover, the if word spreads that IU's leadership and culture is super-healthy, the winning and talented players will get the message and will follow. Jalen Hood-Schifino and Malik Reneau are being watched by the hyper-successful Montverde players and more importantly the Montverde coaching staff, and you can bet there is plenty of communication about their IU experience so far. If the feedback isn't positive? Uggh. If it is incredibly positive?    Laissez les bons temps rouler.

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Moreover, the if word spreads that IU's leadership and culture is super-healthy, the winning and talented players will get the message and will follow. Jalen Hood-Schifino and Malik Reneau are being watched by the hyper-successful Montverde players and more importantly the Montverde coaching staff, and you can bet there is plenty of communication about their IU experience so far. If the feedback isn't positive? Uggh. If it is incredibly positive?    Laissez les bons temps rouler.

If we could have a single pipeline to any school in the country  Montverde would be the choice. I hope JHS/Malik have a great experience this year for their sake and to help our future opportunities to land Montverde players. As you stated, there is little doubt they will be talking.