Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Southside said:

ESPN article is suggesting ND and Clemson are easily the two biggest prizes at this point. 

Hard to argue with that when talking football.

That’s just it though, outside of football Clemson doesn’t move the needle at all for me, i know the football dollars are driving much of this but I’d take multiple other schools bf Clemson, meh 

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That’s just it though, outside of football Clemson doesn’t move the needle at all for me, i know the football dollars are driving much of this but I’d take multiple other schools bf Clemson, meh 

Me either, but I took a peak at all the teams that have been kicked around on Torvik.

Did you know Clemson BB is #54 (#70 to end last season) right now.

That is higher than Rutgers, Ohio St, Penn St, NW, Nebraska, MN, and Wiscy from the B10. And about the same as Maryland.

So considered equal or better than almost half the B10 going into the season. 

8 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

At this point I want money generating teams for IU to get more resources to make them more competitive in NIL. 

9 hours ago, Southside said:

Me either, but I took a peak at all the teams that have been kicked around on Torvik.

Did you know Clemson BB is #54 (#70 to end last season) right now.

That is higher than Rutgers, Ohio St, Penn St, NW, Nebraska, MN, and Wiscy from the B10. And about the same as Maryland.

So considered equal or better than almost half the B10 going into the season. 

Clemson's basketball history is not good at all.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

At this point I want money generating teams for IU to get more resources to make them more competitive in NIL. 

Still need to be strategic about letting too many juggernauts into the conference, which in turn pushes us further down the totem pole in conference value contributions. I think there are too many intricacies between Big Ten universities that come with membership (research funding, library resources, etc.) to have “dead weight programs” actually be voted out, but if ND joins, there would be three Indiana teams in the conference…so we have to be judicious about this. What if one day Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Bama and Georgia no longer want to share equal media revenue with schools like IU and Vandy? Of the bottom tier B1G football programs, Rutgers and Maryland at least bring their own unique and valuable markets and Northwestern has the obvious edge in academics and some football success.

2 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Still need to be strategic about letting too many juggernauts into the conference, which in turn pushes us further down the totem pole in conference value contributions. I think there are too many intricacies between Big Ten universities that come with membership (research funding, library resources, etc.) to have “dead weight programs” actually be voted out, but if ND joins, there would be three Indiana teams in the conference…so we have to be judicious about this. What if one day Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Bama and Georgia no longer want to share equal media revenue with schools like IU and Vandy? Of the bottom tier B1G football programs, Rutgers and Maryland at least bring their own unique and valuable markets and Northwestern has the obvious edge in academics and some football success.

Yep. If the conference merry-go-round of the last decade or so has proved anything it's that tradition, geo proximity and history have absolutely no influence at all. None. It's become straight up mercenary "who pays the most?" 

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Clemson's basketball history is not good at all.

Same with several B10 teams.

Lately though, they have made the tournament twice in the last 4-5 years, and also made the Sweet 16 in one of those trips. 

But currently, their FB is blue chip, their BB is passable, market good, etc.. That's a better profile than most candidates.

3 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

It's simply a business a now (NIL, TV), and IU needs to start acting more like a business.

They need to start taking their equal shares in the broadcasting contracts, and improve the FB team. It's that simple. And assuming the PAC, B12, and ACC start to weaken or fold, that means IU will have more opportunity to improve recruiting. 

But IU has more value than you think outside of FB. We're pretty decent in Baseball, and pretty good in soccer. Overall, we're ranked in the top 25 of most NCAA Championships. 

Meanwhile on the southern side of the tracks...from a swimming site of all places.

https://swimswam.com/source-virginia-north-carolina-florida-state-clemson-in-talks-to-join-sec/

Also, some in-fighting towards who gets invited.

"According to the source, money is a major factor along with recruiting clashes. Florida reportedly doesn’t want Miami to join, Tennessee doesn’t want UNC, and Kentucky doesn’t want Louisville."

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

Meanwhile on the southern side of the tracks...from a swimming site of all places.

https://swimswam.com/source-virginia-north-carolina-florida-state-clemson-in-talks-to-join-sec/

Also, some in-fighting towards who gets invited.

"According to the source, money is a major factor along with recruiting clashes. Florida reportedly doesn’t want Miami to join, Tennessee doesn’t want UNC, and Kentucky doesn’t want Louisville."

Yup, there's always FB and BB recruiting clashes, which historically has pushed a lot of intra state teams to split conferences. 

TX A&M for instance was tired of UT (TX) for many reasons, one big one being recruiting. Now UT is following. 

And there's even a little chatter about one of them ending up in the B10. If I were either, no way I'd leave the SEC, but I could understand either move. 

It's why I think Miami and FSU will end up splitting between the B10 and SEC once the music stops. 

On 7/6/2022 at 6:57 PM, Southside said:

That sounds crazy. 

For the life of me, can't understand why they don't focus on desalinization. Several other countries and states are building plants left and right. Saudi produces a ton. MX too. Australia is going all on in on it. Tampa has the largest plant in the US, and does like 20+M gallons a day, costing about 0.003 per gallon.  That's a cost to an average household of about $7/month (purely production costs).

Desalination is very expensive and labor intensive, not to mention you have all the issues of what to do with the brine that's left over (if you just dump it out in the ocean, it can cause severe damage to the ecosystem), and its a pain in the @$$ to get stuff further inland.  The bigger solution would be conservation, which would be a multi-pronged idea, such as reducing water wasters, like golf courses and water parks (Why would you have water parks in the desert when you're, like, 60-70 miles from the ocean?) as well as changing up the agriculture plans in California, like growing cruciferous crops and beans instead of artichokes and almonds and raising chickens instead of cattle.

However, that all involves a lot of long term change and... change sucks.  And is expensive.

8 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

Desalination is very expensive and labor intensive, not to mention you have all the issues of what to do with the brine that's left over (if you just dump it out in the ocean, it can cause severe damage to the ecosystem), and its a pain in the @$$ to get stuff further inland.  The bigger solution would be conservation, which would be a multi-pronged idea, such as reducing water wasters, like golf courses and water parks (Why would you have water parks in the desert when you're, like, 60-70 miles from the ocean?) as well as changing up the agriculture plans in California, like growing cruciferous crops and beans instead of artichokes and almonds and raising chickens instead of cattle.

However, that all involves a lot of long term change and... change sucks.  And is expensive.

The processes are improving, and the price is decreasing. Many countries are even using solar and wind turbines to offset the energy required. Never heard that it's labor intensive. Like I posted, the production cost (not initial capital outlay) for Tampa is about 7 bucks a household. That's simply not much. 

I'd add that water for irrigation and other uses require less processing than drinking water. 

I read a few articles yesterday after posting. The Carlsbad plant cost only $1B to build, and provides 50M gallons a day to SD County. If Cali can spend $5B on a train to nowhere, a few more desal plants sounds like a solid investment. 

And I don't mean to sound snotty at all, but turning the ag world upside down, or poo pooing golf courses and waterparks, just isn't reality. Sure some changes are probably needed, but ag is already highly over-regulated. We've driven cost up so much already we're having to import which creates a ton of other problems and vulnerabilities. And that's about as silly as buying oil from other countries which use far dirtier extraction and processing than we do here in the US. 

But in simple terms, when only 0.83% of the water on this planet is fresh water, and we have giant oceans of saltwater that are rising, makes a lot sense to figure out how to take that water and make it usable. 

54 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

In wrestling terms, if the Alliance was Pro Wrestling USA (which was the NWA/AWA/World Class/regional feds) back in the mid 80s, this is Verne Gagne trying again with Super Clash III.  So depressing.

Didn't he win that though? lol..

I didn't follow much wrastlin' after Purdue Person the Bruiser (my grandfather loved him) retired. Wasn't really a fan at the time to be honest, it was just on his TV lol.  

21 hours ago, Southside said:

The processes are improving, and the price is decreasing. Many countries are even using solar and wind turbines to offset the energy required. Never heard that it's labor intensive. Like I posted, the production cost (not initial capital outlay) for Tampa is about 7 bucks a household. That's simply not much. 

I'd add that water for irrigation and other uses require less processing than drinking water. 

I read a few articles yesterday after posting. The Carlsbad plant cost only $1B to build, and provides 50M gallons a day to SD County. If Cali can spend $5B on a train to nowhere, a few more desal plants sounds like a solid investment. 

And I don't mean to sound snotty at all, but turning the ag world upside down, or poo pooing golf courses and waterparks, just isn't reality. Sure some changes are probably needed, but ag is already highly over-regulated. We've driven cost up so much already we're having to import which creates a ton of other problems and vulnerabilities. And that's about as silly as buying oil from other countries which use far dirtier extraction and processing than we do here in the US. 

But in simple terms, when only 0.83% of the water on this planet is fresh water, and we have giant oceans of saltwater that are rising, makes a lot sense to figure out how to take that water and make it usable. 

Conservation is 100% the way to go.  And no we do not have to import food.  We import certain foods because of competitive advantage but we are the worlds largest food exporter. 

33 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Conservation is 100% the way to go.  And no we do not have to import food.  We import certain foods because of competitive advantage but we are the worlds largest food exporter. 

We should make efforts to conserve. But saying it will solve the problem, or even happens, is just not reality. 

And you're incorrect about food. Our exports are heavily slanted to soybeans. Our total net ag import/export is either already net importer, or at minimum will be a net importer within the next year or two. The USDA says so as well... 

The first two charts are imports.

The third shows export of 131B, import of 151B.

The 4th is the import/export + net view. 

Food%201.png?width=1152&name=Food%201.pn

Compont%20Food.png?width=1152&name=Compo

u-s-imports-and-exports-components-and-statistics-3306270-8491f645ed2947918110b5b00f08d5a9-613beba0bdfe40adb3a8e178d9999709.jpg

USDA-2-500x315.jpg