Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Last time there were two big drivers. TV market added and if the school was accredited in the same category as the other BT schools. Adding Rutgers was a yawn in the competitive category but a winner as they pull in the NY/NJ market. So since we have California now with the two additions I am not sure Stanford would add much.  I would expect a TX school if one of the big ones (Baylor, TT, or anyone else that may get left out) is highly accredited. I could see a Florida school for the same reason.  Oregon and Washington make sense if you now make a western division.  

44 minutes ago, Josh said:

I didn't realize that the Pac 12 was such a dumpster fire that the Big 12 was an upgrade

PAC is now down to 10 teams, and with OR and WA already packing their bags, that would put them at 8. That's kinda where the B12 was in 2020 when TX and OK decided to leave. But the B12 added 4 teams... So now "stronger" I guess lol. 

But the B12, PAC, and ACC are all in survival mode. Many say the ACC will collapse if ND goes to the B10. The SEC is already likely to raid them for at least 2 teams to keep up with the B10 and get to 18. 

So in 2024, you're looking at the following as it sits now.

• B12
    1. Cinci
    2. Houston
    3. BYU
    4. UCF
    5. TexTech
    6. Baylor
    7. OK St
    8. ISU
    9. KSU
    10. KU
    11. WVU
    12. TCU
  • PAC
    1. OR - trying to bolt for the B10
    2. WA - trying to bolt for the B10
    3. Stanford - could be poached too
    4. ASU - already talking to B12
    5. AZ - already talking to B12
    6. WSU
    7. ORST
    8. CAL
    9. Utah
    10. CO

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I didn't realize that the Pac 12 was such a dumpster fire that the Big 12 was an upgrade

Take USC/UCLA out of the Pac 12 and Oklahoma and Texas out of the Big 12 and....the remaining Big 12 is better than the remaining Pac 12.  

Sagarin ratings (football):

remaining Big 12:  Oklahoma State (5), Baylor (10), Iowa State (14), Kansas State (27), Texas Tech (42), West Virginia (49), TCU (70), Kansas (136).  Average:  44.

remaining Pac 12:  Utah (11), Oregon (26), Arizona State (36), Oregon State (44), Washington State (45), California (65), Washington (74), Stanford (89), Colorado (90), Arizona (118).  Average:  60.

I think it's even worse in basketball.  There really wasn't a bad team in the Big 12 last year.

10 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Take USC/UCLA out of the Pac 12 and Oklahoma and Texas out of the Big 12 and....the remaining Big 12 is better than the remaining Pac 12.  

Sagarin ratings (football):

remaining Big 12:  Oklahoma State (5), Baylor (10), Iowa State (14), Kansas State (27), Texas Tech (42), West Virginia (49), TCU (70), Kansas (136).  Average:  44.

remaining Pac 12:  Utah (11), Oregon (26), Arizona State (36), Oregon State (44), Washington State (45), California (65), Washington (74), Stanford (89), Colorado (90), Arizona (118).  Average:  60.

I think it's even worse in basketball.  There really wasn't a bad team in the Big 12 last year.

You are correct, but none of those Big 12 teams move the needle in any way. Maybe the SEC adds WV if they need to even up after some ACC acquisitions? 

Oregon & Washington at least have a little cache. Whenever the music finally stops those without a SEC/B1G chair are gonna have to merge to form a solid B level conference. Colorado back in the Big 12!? 

A ton more talk about a PAC / B12 merge.

And more or less confirmed that the B12 is targeting 4-6 PAC teams this week. 

AZ, ASU, CO, and Utah were all named by a "source" to CBS as "in conversation", and they believe OR and WA are also getting calls from the B12. 

6 minutes ago, Southside said:

The below is not far fetched at all

Keep in mind Cinci, BYU, Houston, and UCF are already set to come on board. 

The B1G can't wait on ND to make up their minds if they want to pull in schools on their supposed wish list like Oregon and Stanford.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

The B1G can't wait on ND to make up their minds if they want to pull in schools on their supposed wish list like Oregon and Stanford.

Assuming they've had a conversation (ND and B10), and assuming ND said I need to think about it, I'd also assume they provided a timeline for the answer. 

But I don't think it really handcuffs the B10 to wait anyway. They are obviously taking at minimum 2 more. So even if they are waiting on ND, they are free to lock up at least one more right now. It's likely though that they take 4 more and get to 20, which if that were the case, they could lock in 3 while waiting for ND. 

I'm guessing though that they are looking at ACC teams too, which might be higher on their lists than the other PAC schools. 

4 minutes ago, Southside said:

Assuming they've had a conversation (ND and B10), and assuming ND said I need to think about it, I'd also assume they provided a timeline for the answer. 

But I don't think it really handcuffs the B10 to wait anyway. They are obviously taking at minimum 2 more. So even if they are waiting on ND, they are free to lock up at least one more right now. It's likely though that they take 4 more and get to 20, which if that were the case, they could lock in 3 while waiting for ND. 

I'm guessing though that they are looking at ACC teams too, which might be higher on their lists than the other PAC schools. 

Yes, they absolutely could lock up more schools while waiting for ND. However, they've publicly stated that they're not going to do that. They could be lying but on of the schools on their supposed wish list (Oregon) apparently requested to join the B1G and were rebuffed at that time.

3 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Yes, they absolutely could lock up more schools while waiting for ND. However, they've publicly stated that they're not going to do that. They could be lying but on of the schools on their supposed wish list (Oregon) apparently requested to join the B1G and were rebuffed at that time.

If they're taking 2-4 more, and said they're standing pat for now and waiting on ND.....

That tells me that they likely have other teams higher up their list than OR and WA. 

And I doubt their sitting on their hands. 

UCLA and USC instigated the move. WA and OR instigated the conversation. My guess is at the same time they were talking to, and weighing the UCLA and USC decisions, they likely were already talking to ND and a few others that top their lists. USC and UCLA were the jewels of CA and the PAC, so pretty easy decision to pull the trigger. The others, not so much depending on their list.

I just hope OR is higher up their list than Stanford. Stanford FB and BB are both down, and their fans really suck. Nice market though. But so is Seattle/WA, FL/FSU/Miami, TX/Baylor, and the Carolinas/UNC/Clemson.