Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

27 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

FWIW, he played 56 minutes last year when without X, Phin, or Lander on the court.  37 of the minutes as a primary handler were in the NW game.  I believe the other 19 minutes came in the stretch where Phin was hurt.

Appreciate the data, thanks! Basically, Galloway is not a primary ball handler and is almost exclusively on the court with a true point guard. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Appreciate the data, thanks! Basically, Galloway is not a primary ball handler and is almost exclusively on the court with a true point guard. 

Gallo is not a pg. But while he isn't the primary ballhandler, when he's on the court he's pretty much a second ballhandler instead of a second catch and shoot wing.

My impression is that Woody prefers to play two guys who can use the pick and roll and break down the defense. X is one for sure, thinking/hoping JHS is a second, and with Gallo's funky jumper and good driving skills he is likely a third choice.

Last year we almost always only had one guy who could break down a defense off the bounce - X, with Gallo alongside him now and then. Though Phin was arguably a pg, he was not a pick and roll driver; at least not to any useful effect.

For the overwhelming majority of the time last year X was paired with Parker or Phin - guys who couldn't break down the defense. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Gallo is not a pg. But while he isn't the primary ballhandler, when he's on the court he's pretty much a second ballhandler instead of a second catch and shoot wing.

My impression is that Woody prefers to play two guys who can use the pick and roll and break down the defense. X is one for sure, thinking/hoping JHS is a second, and with Gallo's funky jumper and good driving skills he is likely a third choice.

Last year we almost always only had one guy who could break down a defense off the bounce - X, with Gallo alongside him now and then. Though Phin was arguably a pg, he was not a pick and roll driver; at least not to any useful effect.

For the overwhelming majority of the time last year X was paired with Parker or Phin - guys who couldn't break down the defense. 

Hell, Woody even ran a few end of shot/game clock iso's and pnr's for Galloway. 

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agree with all of that. That's something I'm very excited about for next season...multiple guys on the court that can handle and create offense. 

There are reasons IU played best last season when Galloway and in particular both Galloway and Phinisee were available. 

Not having them was the primary reason for the difficulties in February and getting them back was a big reason for the postseason success.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I'm a Galloway fan!

I believe the scouting report caught up with him towards the end of the season. The driving lanes weren't as wide, which caused his increase in turnovers. 

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Gallo absolutely helps move the ball, he's one of those guys who seem to make players around him better. Right, not a 1, but the ball moves with him on the floor for sure. Now if he can just take care of that kind of out of control run along the baseline.... I'd love to see him doing those baseline runs like Troy used to do, just has to get under control (and Troy had similar issues early).

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Gallo absolutely helps move the ball, he's one of those guys who seem to make players around him better. Right, not a 1, but the ball moves with him on the floor for sure. Now if he can just take care of that kind of out of control run along the baseline.... I'd love to see him doing those baseline runs like Troy used to do, just has to get under control (and Troy had similar issues early).

Yeah—right now he’s not a one, but he cannot shoot well enough to be a two. But man, he gets into people defensively.

He’s an interesting player if he develops a serviceable jump shot 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah—right now he’s not a one, but he cannot shoot well enough to be a two. But man, he gets into people defensively.

Like I said earlier, in most cases I don't even subscribe to the idea of a "2" anymore. You have guards and wings and quite often they're even interchangeable. 

Galloway is a wing who's strengths lie in creating offense, handling and passing. He's getting better at getting to the rim as well and finishing. If he can just get to a 33-35% 3pt shooter on low volume he'll been really dangerous. 

41 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He deceptively quick. He gets by people a couple times a game. 

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He deceptively quick. He gets by people a couple times a game. 

I think he's deceptively everything when he's driving. 

Strong, quick, long.. smart. He's big time when he's heading to the rack and you're out of position. 

I think you live with his charges because of the uniqueness of his skills.. most of the time. There were other TOs that weren't good decisions, but he still only avged 1.5TOs.  

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Kopp closes out very well, actually. And Miller had 32 assists this year, JG had 9. Neither can pass, Miller just passes a little better. 

Kopp played twice as much, so that puts it at 32 to 18 in comparable time.  Let's compare apples to apples.  And JG did it from the 4 where assists are more rare.

Miller Kopp has played four years of college ball and never averaged more than 1.2 assists per game.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Kopp played twice as much, so that puts it at 32 to 18 in comparable time.  Let's compare apples to apples.  And JG did it from the 4 where assists are more rare.

Miller Kopp has played four years of college ball and never averaged more than 1.2 assists per game.

Idc about MK... I was quoted using MK as a reference. I didn't compare them. 

MK is a better passer then JG. But both are poor. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

No problem.  FWIW, if you register at cbbanalytics.com, you can get a lot of really good free data on IU.  It's a pay site, but as long as you stick with one team it's completely free.

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Saying this over and over doesn't make it true.

I would be interested in your analysis that makes you think JG is a good perimeter defender?

I've had this conversation several times with @btownqb and we can both speak on exactly where he struggles and why he isn't as of now.