Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

USWNT - 2021 Olympic Redemption Edition

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Distraction doesn't have to mean it's a 100% bad thing. That's what I'm trying to say. It can literally just be "part of it".. and I'd say that's where the team is at this point. They see it, recognize it, and move on.  They're professional, World class athletes... they've been through it.  

There are outside influences all the time that can hinder a sports team. It was very impressive how well they dominated the World Cup the last time with all the "noise". 

Ok, I’m with you now. And I would say that as much as you can argue it’s a distraction you can also argue it can be a unifying thing. 

46 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Ok, I’m with you now. And I would say that as much as you can argue it’s a distraction you can also argue it can be a unifying thing. 

thumbs up emoji.. but it doesn't let me post emojis 

You certainly can’t say it’s a distraction without being a member of the team.  I doubt anybody could find a single member of the USWNT to be as successful in a 10 year span.  So you can’t say their “distraction” affects winning.  And even if it does her talent and ability far exceeds it apparently. 

2011 - Instrumental in Semifinals allowing them to get to Final Game. Lost in PKs took home 2nd place

2012 - Two goals in the greatest USWNT game ever.  Got them to the title game where they took Gold

2015 - Slow Tournament overall but team won first WC in 16 years

2016 - Didn’t play due to injury.  Worst result ever for the US 

2019 - Scored 5 goals in the 4 knock out round games. Won back to back WCs for the first time in USWNT history  

2021 - Scored first two goals to keep us ahead of Australia in the medal game to get the Bronze. 

Is she possibly a minor distraction.  Maybe, but it’s beyond silly to say it’s obvious she is considering what the team has accomplished with her.  The point is to win games and she makes it happen.  

A little off topic but social media was brought up before..

Crazy how it was created to bring people together but has since peaked by dividing people. Humans are a funny species.

I raised my hand to defend this crazy country. If someone chooses to protest without injury others I’m all for it even if I don’t agree with it. That’s the beauty of this country.

There are plenty of other countries that would love to have the problems we have. Bringing home bronze is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You certainly can’t say it’s a distraction without being a member of the team.  I doubt anybody could find a single member of the USWNT to be as successful in a 10 year span.  So you can’t say their “distraction” affects winning.  And even if it does her talent and ability far exceeds it apparently. 

2011 - Instrumental in Semifinals allowing them to get to Final Game. Lost in PKs took home 2nd place

2012 - Two goals in the greatest USWNT game ever.  Got them to the title game where they took Gold

2015 - Slow Tournament overall but team won first WC in 16 years

2016 - Didn’t play due to injury.  Worst result ever for the US 

2019 - Scored 5 goals in the 4 knock out round games. Won back to back WCs for the first time in USWNT history  

2021 - Scored first two goals to keep us ahead of Australia in the medal game to get the Bronze. 

Is she possibly a minor distraction.  Maybe, but it’s beyond silly to say it’s obvious she is considering what the team has accomplished with her.  The point is to win games and she makes it happen.  

Absolutely can say it's a distraction without being a member of the team. Again.. I didn't say it 100% has to be a bad thing just because it's a distraction... and again.. its evident with their performance they've been able to work through any of the noise. 

Ultimately it's risk vs reward. MR is deemed, and by all accounts correctly deemed, worth the "risk" by her teammates and coaches. That doesn't change that she brings a side show with her... right or wrong. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ultimately it's risk vs reward. MR is deemed, and by all accounts correctly deemed, worth the "risk" by her teammates and coaches. That doesn't change that she brings a side show with her... right or wrong. 

Just because you don’t agree with what she is doing doesn’t mean her teammates don’t.  Why are you unable to understand that?   You think it’s a sideshow they might not categorize it as such.  

Nobody called Peyton Manning a distraction when he called his own kicker an idiot.  Just because somebody makes headlines doesn’t mean they are a sideshow. 

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just because you don’t agree with what she is doing doesn’t mean her teammates don’t.  Why are you unable to understand that?   You think it’s a sideshow they might not categorize it as such.  

Nobody called Peyton Manning a distraction when he called his own kicker an idiot.  Just because somebody makes headlines doesn’t mean they are a sideshow. 

The kicker was the distraction, he wasn't worth the risk.

And her stance on whatever is irrelevant for what I'm saying. She has her own opinion, that's perfectly fine.

And her teammates not categorizing it as a side show is my EXACT POINT!!!! They fight through it! They're obviously tough!

It's literally a show though. Look how much media attention it's drawn... and again I'm NOT saying that's bad. I'm not. I'm simply saying.. theres wayyyyy more for that team then just winning... there ARE distractions. 

And her stance on whatever is irrelevant for what I'm saying. She has her own opinion, that's perfectly fine.

And her teammates not categorizing it as a side show is my EXACT POINT!!!! They fight through it! They're obviously tough!

It's literally a show though. Look how much media attention it's drawn... and again I'm NOT saying that's bad. I'm not. I'm simply saying.. theres wayyyyy more for that team then just winning... there ARE distractions. 

To your point as a person who doesn't follow or care about women's soccer the coverage I see is not what the team's accomplishments are it's what MR had to say about this or that. To me the coverage of her opinion would be the distraction from the team's objectives and accomplishments. I mean why not put that energy into covering things relating to the team? I have no dog in this fight but that's the perspective of one who couldn't care less.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

To your point as a person who doesn't follow or care about women's soccer the coverage I see is not what the team's accomplishments are it's what MR had to say about this or that. To me the coverage of her opinion would be the distraction from the team's objectives and accomplishments. I mean why not put that energy into covering things relating to the team? I have no dog in this fight but that's the perspective of one who couldn't care less.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Because it's not controversial. That's the media's whole goal... its not to inform. It's to cause a ruckus. 

On 8/5/2021 at 9:25 PM, btownqb said:

Your categorizing it as a distraction because you disagree with what she is saying.  That’s why your totally ridiculous.  By your logic any talking to the media about something is a distraction. Alex Morgan talking about her baby oh well guess that’s a distraction. Talking about the women’s league oh well that’s a distraction. Which is just totally ridiculous but you still seem to not understand how just because you disagree with somebody doesn’t mean everybody does or should.  

The team treats her as if she’s not a distraction and yet you somehow twist that as proof she is indeed a distraction. 

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Nice article about future of the USWNT and some of the young names to watch. 

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/lloyd-rapinoe-out-smith-rodman-how-uswnt-line-up-2023-world/1oagcfwcv2h2t1n4fil9dxpmhi

Will be interesting the longest the US has gone without winning a major Tournament is 5 years. My guess if we don’t win in 2023.  They get a new coach to try and ensure that number doesn’t become dated. No coach who was allowed two major tournaments ever failed to win at least one of the two. 

Will be interesting the longest the US has gone without winning a major Tournament is 5 years. My guess if we don’t win in 2023.  They get a new coach to try and ensure that number doesn’t become dated. No coach who was allowed two major tournaments ever failed to win at least one of the two. 

He will have a tough road for sure. It will be hard to continue on the veteran approach but going to young may not produce early either. If we go young but look shaky over the next year he may not make it to the cup. But we need to get younger and you will probably look shaky as you do it. So his risk is that he may do the right thing but still get fired.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your categorizing it as a distraction because you disagree with what she is saying.  That’s why your totally ridiculous.  By your logic any talking to the media about something is a distraction. Alex Morgan talking about her baby oh well guess that’s a distraction. Talking about the women’s league oh well that’s a distraction. Which is just totally ridiculous but you still seem to not understand how just because you disagree with somebody doesn’t mean everybody does or should.  

The team treats her as if she’s not a distraction and yet you somehow twist that as proof she is indeed a distraction. 

lol... I do not care about her stance, literally the last thing that has any sort of relevance on this discussion. I'm not talking about the stance, for the 100th time.. I'm not talking about her stance. And yes, anything not about winning games is by definition a distraction. Literally.... Alex Morgan brings her kid to practice, that's a distraction. Now... is that a big one? nope. This really isn't hard to understand. 

Covid was a distraction for our sports teams last year. So was all the social justice stuff last summer and fall. 

I'm not overly sure why you can't understand this concept. Have you been a part of many teams sports? There are distractions ALL OF THE TIME. The more the media is involved...distraction. When we talk about the USWNT we don't talk about their play on the field (all of the time)... why? because theres more there than just sports. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS BAD OR THEIR FAULT!!!!! 

If it's not about winning soccer games, it's a distraction. Big facts. 

Sorry for this mods, I hope this isn't a distraction or a flash point.  I just wanted to type this out and see if I could get any clarity without getting people bent out of shape.  This thread has had me thinking.

What is a Patriot?

Kneeling for the national anthem.  No.

Fighting against police and democracy on January 6th?  No.

These are the extremes.  Does that make the middle patriots?  I don't know.

I stand for the anthem, and I think January 6th insurgents are terrorists.  But that doesn't make me a patriot either.  Is the USA the best country in the world?  I don't know, I've only been here and the Bahamas.  The Canadian side of Niagra Falls if that counts.  How could a person say this country is the best without any knowledge of the rest?  Seems short sighted to me.

So what is a Patriot?  I've never fought in the military, nor have I run for public office.  I work hard, pay my taxes, and help my neighbors.  Is that enough?  I'm happy to live here.  Is that it?

I truly don't believe that anybody who supports those who tried to destroy democracy on January 6th are patriots, nor do they get to say who are patriots.  Do peaceful protests such as Rapinoe or Capernick get to be patriots?  Man, I don't know.  Peaceful protests are part of America.  But I can't say those who don't stand for the flag are patriots.

So is Patriotism standing for the flag and following the rules of the rulers?  That doesn't seem like freedom either.  Freedom is beautiful when you can do what you want without violence or encroaching on the freedom of others.  

Maybe we're all patriots when we live in America and live peacefully.  Maybe that's what it is.  I hope that's what it is.

Sorry for the long post.  It's hard to figure out patriotism anymore.  I just want us all to live in peace.

Sorry for this mods, I hope this isn't a distraction or a flash point.  I just wanted to type this out and see if I could get any clarity without getting people bent out of shape.  This thread has had me thinking.
What is a Patriot?
I stand for the anthem, and I think January 6th insurgents are terrorists.  But that doesn't make me a patriot either.  Is the USA the best country in the world?  I don't know, I've only been here and the Bahamas.  The Canadian side of Niagra Falls if that counts.  How could a person say this country is the best without any knowledge of the rest?  Seems short sighted to me.
So what is a Patriot?  I've never fought in the military, nor have I run for public office.  I work hard, pay my taxes, and help my neighbors.  Is that enough?  I'm happy to live here.  Is that it?
I truly don't believe that anybody who supports those who tried to destroy democracy on January 6th are patriots, nor do they get to say who are patriots.  Do peaceful protests such as Rapinoe or Capernick get to be patriots?  Man, I don't know.  Peaceful protests are part of America.  But I can't say those who don't stand for the flag are patriots.
So is Patriotism standing for the flag and following the rules of the rulers?  That doesn't seem like freedom either.  Freedom is beautiful when you can do what you want without violence or encroaching on the freedom of others.  
Maybe we're all patriots when we live in America and live peacefully.  Maybe that's what it is.  I hope that's what it is.
Sorry for the long post.  It's hard to figure out patriotism anymore.  I just want us all to live in peace.

Great post.

I’d love to talk January 6th with you sometime. I’ve spent a lot of hours researching the topic. The narrative isn’t exactly what we are lead to believe. And that can be said for many things.

DM for further convo.

25 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Great post.

I’d love to talk January 6th with you sometime. I’ve spent a lot of hours researching the topic. The narrative isn’t exactly what we are lead to believe. And that can be said for many things.

DM for further convo.

I'll DM ya.  But I need to emphasize that there is a lot of video of Americans attacking law enforcement and threatening American democracy on that day.  I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I'm into conversation.  

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Great post.

DM for further convo.

Screenshot_20210814-204113_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, Josh said:

What is a Patriot?

Patriotism is just love of country.  It's not pledging loyalty to one ideology or person or symbol.  We can love our country and still be honest about it's past and think we need to work to improve the future.