Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I wish I could be more optimistic about IU's chances of hitting a home run with this next hire.

The Davis hire seemed logical at the time; (senior laden team returning after coach Knight's dismissal, assistant under Knight, continuity, etc), but Davis simply wasn't good enough once Knight's influence, and players graduated.

Kelvin Sampson should never have been hired, no matter what his qualifications were. He was a cheat at Oklahoma, we knew it, we still hired him, and he cheated again. 

Tom Crean was the "Hot" name in coaching, and the media thought we'd hit a home run. He wasn't a Rick Petino caliber coach, (ethics notwithstanding), Roy Williams, Bill Self, or John Calipari, (ethics notwithstanding). He was a mid major coach with a mid major game that was best suited for a mid major school.

With respect, Archie Miller was Tom Crean part II. Hot candidate from a mid major school that was perceived to have been a homerun for IU by the media. Like Crean's game, it didn’t carry over to the big leagues.

Now it would seem that we've swung and missed out on a top tier coach again, and will end up hiring another coach from a mid major, hoping that four years from now their program will have been good enough for the Big 10.

I don't think any of the following coaches would be a Brad Stevens caliber coach, but IU should go for a John Beilein, Thad Motta, or Tony Bennett. Those three have shown they can build a good solid winning program without cheating at a major college level.

32 minutes ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

I wish I could be more optimistic about IU's chances of hitting a home run with this next hire.

The Davis hire seemed logical at the time; (senior laden team returning after coach Knight's dismissal, assistant under Knight, continuity, etc), but Davis simply wasn't good enough once Knight's influence, and players graduated.

Kelvin Sampson should never have been hired, no matter what his qualifications were. He was a cheat at Oklahoma, we knew it, we still hired him, and he cheated again. 

Tom Crean was the "Hot" name in coaching, and the media thought we'd hit a home run. He wasn't a Rick Petino caliber coach, (ethics notwithstanding), Roy Williams, Bill Self, or John Calipari, (ethics notwithstanding). He was a mid major coach with a mid major game that was best suited for a mid major school.

With respect, Archie Miller was Tom Crean part II. Hot candidate from a mid major school that was perceived to have been a homerun for IU by the media. Like Crean's game, it didn’t carry over to the big leagues.

Now it would seem that we've swung and missed out on a top tier coach again, and will end up hiring another coach from a mid major, hoping that four years from now their program will have been good enough for the Big 10.

I don't think any of the following coaches would be a Brad Stevens caliber coach, but IU should go for a John Beilein, Thad Motta, or Tony Bennett. Those three have shown they can build a good solid winning program without cheating at a major college level.

Don't agree with you on Crean.  He won at Marquette (not a mid-major), won at Indiana, and is winning at Georgia.  Problem is that he didn't win enough and what he had his teams do on the court was not a good fit for the fan base.  Water under the bridge now but I agree he wasn't the guy to bring the Hoosiers all the way back.  Just don't think he was as bad as you remember.  Anyway, on to the future.  I think IUs AD had an idea of who he wanted when he fired Archie and it was probably Stevens.  That didn't work.  What I'm wondering now is who has contacted the school since Miller's dismissal.  To all intents and purposes the Miller firing was a surprise.  Most thought he would get another year because of the buyout.  In a situation like this I'm sure that there have been feelers toward IU to see if there is any interest.  Wonder if there is a dark horse out there that nobody has thought of.  Maybe someone that everyone thinks is happy but is really itching to take on the IU challenge.  I have absolutely no inside information and I don't have any coaches in mind.  Just thinking a bit outside the box.

Tom Crean record:

21 years at Marquette, Indiana and Georgia.  16 winning seasons, 4 losing seasons (includes the first 3 at Indiana), one even season.  Record 397 - 280 for a .586 winning percentage.  Very good coach, not great,  but not good enough for what Indiana was looking for.  

18 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

Don't agree with you on Crean.  He won at Marquette (not a mid-major), won at Indiana, and is winning at Georgia.  Problem is that he didn't win enough and what he had his teams do on the court was not a good fit for the fan base.  Water under the bridge now but I agree he wasn't the guy to bring the Hoosiers all the way back.  Just don't think he was as bad as you remember. 

I thought Crean was a good coach, and what he did with the program after the Sampson debacle was nothing short of heroic; but it became apparent after four years that while he could win 20 games/yr, make the tournament and even win a few games there, his teams were flawed, and his inability to make ingame adjustments was a killer. Syracuse was like cryptonite. All four men were good coaches, just poor fits for IU.

5 minutes ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

I thought Crean was a good coach, and what he did with the program after the Sampson debacle was nothing short of heroic; but it became apparent after four years that while he could win 20 games/yr, make the tournament and even win a few games there, his teams were flawed, and his inability to make ingame adjustments was a killer. Syracuse was like cryptonite. All four men were good coaches, just poor fits for IU.

Agree

4 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

It may not. I hope it doesn’t. But it wasn’t just message board chatter. Plenty is social media chatter with national media chiming in. Any other coach’s circle will be aware that we put all our eggs in the Stevens basket. They may not care. But if I’ve got things going at another school, I’d be hesitant to take over a place that I know everyone wanted someone else to that degree.

Where do you think the social media chatter came from.  No coach worth anything is paying any attention to that.  You are making it sound like Stevens turning down Indiana was the lead story on CNN.  (Well I just woke up, so maybe it was, I don't know.). 

Just let the whole thing play out.  IU just might get the next Bobby Knight, or Coach K.

6 hours ago, jmsgws said:

Where do you think the social media chatter came from.  No coach worth anything is paying any attention to that.  You are making it sound like Stevens turning down Indiana was the lead story on CNN.  (Well I just woke up, so maybe it was, I don't know.). 

Just let the whole thing play out.  IU just might get the next Bobby Knight, or Coach K.

Doesn't matter where it came from, it was there, and that is more accessible than message board stuff. And when I say national media, I mean in the college basketball world, not CNN of course. Hell, PTI did a segment on Stevens being connected to IU, another ESPN show did. Titus did a whole podcast on it. Goodman, of course, talked about it in many podcast segments. It wasn't front page sports news, but people in college hoops circles were well aware of it. Agents of coaches who may be interested were going to have a pulse on it. I realize my theory fall under that category of expecting the worst. And I'm happy to be wrong. I just don't think it's that far-fetched of a thought. 

Stevens was the opportunity you had to chase. I hope Dolson was still working other scenarios while chasing him. 

Don’t mind chasing Beard, Oats Muss and maybe Drew but I would also look at the possibility of Fife as head coach and Beilein as an incredibly overpaid assistant. I know he has said he did not want that role but if others aren’t calling for him to be HC and you allocate more $ than is typical for his sage like assistance then maybe he changes his mind. 

If we don’t have a tier 2 guy excited to come here I would like to see if we could build a structure around someone who does. Fife has the energy and charisma. Beilein has had incredible success. Pay up for a top recruiter and talent development crew and let’s go. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Underrated option.

My kid is VERY smart on this stuff. He thinks that if Mack has info about the NCAA dropping the hammer on UL, Mack makes as much sense as anyone.

Mack is NOT going to happen.  His wife is from there, UofL is his dream job, his contract contemplated sanctions as it automatically extends and at higher annual $$ amounts if they get the hammer.   

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I don't want Mack. Very similar to Archie. Has had more overall success sure but it isn't really all that spectacular either.
7ecd19c5b42a745a8feb46c6e05a9968.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Not sure I want Mack either but I’m confused as how he’s just like Archie. 

37 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Stevens was the opportunity you had to chase. I hope Dolson was still working other scenarios while chasing him. 

Don’t mind chasing Beard, Oats Muss and maybe Drew but I would also look at the possibility of Fife as head coach and Beilein as an incredibly overpaid assistant. I know he has said he did not want that role but if others aren’t calling for him to be HC and you allocate more $ than is typical for his sage like assistance then maybe he changes his mind. 

If we don’t have a tier 2 guy excited to come here I would like to see if we could build a structure around someone who does. Fife has the energy and charisma. Beilein has had incredible success. Pay up for a top recruiter and talent development crew and let’s go. 

Beilein already said he won’t take an assistant job anywhere. A Fife hire would depress me more than a fifth Archie season would have. 

Pack line defense. Offense is very meh a lot of times. Nothing wrong with either of those as long as great results accompany them. I'm just not sure that'd be the case with Mack. I could be wrong and I would certainly get behind him and root like hell for him but he's not on my list of ideal candidates.

Pack line defense. Offense is very meh a lot of times. Nothing wrong with either of those as long as great results accompany them. I'm just not sure that'd be the case with Mack. I could be wrong and I would certainly get behind him and root like hell for him but he's not on my list of ideal candidates.

He has quite a few 13-14 loss seasons with mediocre conference records. Not really a huge upgrade IMO

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

An example. Absolute snapshot so I get that but just this season: AdjO - IU 66 UL 85
AdjD IU 43 UL 44. Now I know these aren't the end all be all but if you look through Mack's resume it's really not that spectacular outside of an elite 8 and 3 sweet 16's. His defenses have never really been great.