Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

19 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Question on Brea:  how does a volume 50% three point shooter who gets 29 minutes/game only average 11 points per game? 

He’s got the Nick Zeisloft stat line. Played over 900 minutes and took 45 2pt looks and 16 free throws. Actually, that’s probably harsh on Nick.

Minnesota guard Elijah Hawkins enters the portal.  Pass first point guard, led the big ten assists with 7.5 per game.  Averaged 9.5 points on 39/36/78 shooting.  Previously played two years at Howard.

Washington guard Koren Johnson commits to Louisville.  IU had contacted earlier and he had IU in his final five despite it never really getting beyond the contact stage.

Brandon Murray enters the portal and will be playing for his fourth team in four years.  Previous stops of LSU and Georgetown before playing at Ole Miss this year.  Injury riddled and poor year last year at Ole Miss.  Best season averaged 13.7 points at GTown.

Zhuric Phelps of SMU enters.  6'5" guard, 14.8 points, 4.1 reb, 2.7 assists.  Averaged over 17 points the year before.  One of the worst volume three point shooters in D1;  made 30 of 139 attempts (22%) last year and in his career has made 86 of 330 from deep (26%).

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Question on Brea:  how does a volume 50% three point shooter who gets 29 minutes/game only average 11 points per game? 

I watched one of his games toward the end of the season and he lit it up.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Minnesota guard Elijah Hawkins enters the portal.  Pass first point guard, led the big ten assists with 7.5 per game.  Averaged 9.5 points on 39/36/78 shooting.  Previously played two years at Howard.

Washington guard Koren Johnson commits to Louisville.  IU had contacted earlier and he had IU in his final five despite it never really getting beyond the contact stage.

Brandon Murray enters the portal and will be playing for his fourth team in four years.  Previous stops of LSU and Georgetown before playing at Ole Miss this year.  Injury riddled and poor year last year at Ole Miss.  Best season averaged 13.7 points at GTown.

Zhuric Phelps of SMU enters.  6'5" guard, 14.8 points, 4.1 reb, 2.7 assists.  Averaged over 17 points the year before.  One of the worst volume three point shooters in D1;  made 30 of 139 attempts (22%) last year and in his career has made 86 of 330 from deep (26%).

I thought Minnesota had a chance to be pretty good next year but losing Hawkins hurts, He was pretty good, when he wasn’t playing IU.

Already lost Payne and Christie (most likely)

Not sure the best place to put this, but can Dusty May’s first offseason at UM PLEASE put to rest the worst criticism of low- and mid-major candidates for big jobs: “how will he do at big boy recruiting?”

Don’t mean to burst any bubbles or say there’s no specific ability involved. But of course a guy who put FAU on the map and only spent one season there after their big breakthrough didn’t have Mark Few’s recruiting track record.

If you have any juice at all at a top ~50 program, you’ll get your share of guys.

Is it an open question whether he’s more Crean, Archie, Jay Wright, Juwan Howard, or Matt Painter on the trail? Of course. But let’s not pretend that hiring a May-type means you have to settle for unknowns, lowly ranked, transfers only, or punt on the current class.

50 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Don't know much about this kid.

His numbers last year don't scream "starting center". Avg. 3.6 pts, 4.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 19 minutes a game.

Wonder if we will reach out. 

Watched him more than a little bit.

Fantastic rim protector; bad at pretty much everything else. Two years left. Something makes me think he's not an IU type; he'll have lots of big-time programs interested, but would love to see him at IU as Ballo's backup. 

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Watched him more than a little bit.

Fantastic rim protector; bad at pretty much everything else. Two years left. Something makes me think he's not an IU type; he'll have lots of big-time programs interested, but would love to see him at IU as Ballo's backup. 

Yeah, he'll be looking for a bigger role.  I'm genuinely curious where we go for the backup 5.  It's the next big spot to fill and maybe the last.  

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, he'll be looking for a bigger role.  I'm genuinely curious where we go for the backup 5.  It's the next big spot to fill and maybe the last.  

We need to find a 6'10" version of Luke Goode. A Ryan Young type.

Caleb Furst is not in the portal, but if he went in I would infer that IU is the reason why. And he'd be a grad transfer so it doesn't have to be by May 1st.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Caleb Furst is not in the portal, but if he went in I would infer that IU is the reason why. And he'd be a grad transfer so it doesn't have to be by May 1st.

I know he's pre-med so that brings up an interesting point: does the med school even admit athletics transfers? I can't imagine trying to do both. 

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I would really like that but man is that hard to see happening.  

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

From my Purdue buddies he is content where he is at and basketball really isn’t that important.  He wants to finish school with a degree and enter med school plus his brother is a walkon for Purdue 

8 minutes ago, SamIam said:

I know he's pre-med so that brings up an interesting point: does the med school even admit athletics transfers? I can't imagine trying to do both. 

The stuff about Furst is pure speculation, but he'd be a perfect fit as Ballo's other half, and where there's a will there's a way. 

He certainly cannot start med school while on the basketball team. But say IU med school gives him a guaranteed deferred admission, effective fall of 2025. That would be pretty attractive to a med school applicant.

I'll also say this factual item; Purdud is still over-signed by one for the coming season, and four from their current roster are centers: Furst, Burgess, Jacobsen, and Berg. One could say Kaufman-Renn is also a post/5. If Waddell takes a walk-on demotion that leaves them with four or five of their thirteen that are posts/5 men, and that's too much.

Something's gotta give with that situation and I'm hoping that it's with Luke Goode's best friend. 

A couple of pages back Race to the Top mentioned guys like Moussa Cisse from Mississippi might be the type of big we would need to look at for the back up big role. Wondering if the staff has contacted him? He would be an excellent rim protector/rebounder to spell Ballo for short periods of time.