Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

2022 SF Tyrell Ward

With kudos to OF:

4-star SF Tyrell Ward a DeMatha teammate of IU offeree Rodney Rice is also on the IU radar.  DeMatha has just recently started its season and through 5 games Rice is averaging 18 ppg; 9 rbg; 3 asst; 1 stl; 2 blk; 1TO.    He's 58% FG; 42% on 3s (5-12) and 83% FT.

Rivals

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-have-attention-of-dematha-star-rodney-rice-watching-his-4-star-teammate/?fbclid=IwAR01WUpT_FZ9kG6A4ql66CBautRJcduq30r-VLRHwtuJky-qEJIUFX5d6xU

Stockrisers 9/20 Story

Syracuse Bball 1/21

DeMatha remains undefeated with an 89-77 win over Paul VI.  Ward with 23 pts. on 9-18 FG; 1-5 on 3s; 4-4 FT; 10 reb; 1 asst; 2 stls ; 1 TO.  Ward does not have an IU offer but may be a better overall player than is Rodney Rice who does have an offer.

Rodney Rice with 13 pts. on 5-15 FG; 3-9 on 3s; 3 reb; 1 asst.  He started the second half but spent a considerable amount of time on the bench and not due to any foul trouble.  He did play the last 3 min. when DeMatha pulled away for the 12-point margin of victory.

You can view ytd shooting stats for 8 games at the link below.  Other stats for Ward are also there but not necessarily for all 8 games.  And remember, DeMatha's season didn't start until mid-January which is why its played so few games.  

https://www.theseasonticket.com/roster_players/41032783

Stockrisers on Ward's recruitment - https://stockrisers.com/s/298/four-star-junior-tyrell-ward-discusses-his-recruitment

Indiana offered a scholarship yesterday, thoughts on the Hoosiers and the offer?

“Indiana is newest school to enter the mix. They’ve been texting me since the St. James Tournament and called and offered today. I love the basketball environment out there and their gym with fans is one of the best in the country.”

Fun game to watch as DeMatha remained undefeated with a 109-107 OT win over Paul VI.  I had Ward with 20 pts. on 6-18 FG; 3-7 on 3s; 5-10 FT; 9 reb; 1 asst; 3 stl; 3 blk; 1 TO.

Rodney Rice also with 20 pts. on 4-14 FG; 2-8 on 3s; 10-12 FT; 3 reb; 1 asst; 1 stl; 2 TOs.

Paul VI features 5-star Trevor Keels thought to be a Duke lean but just received a pUKe offer.   He had triple double of 41 pts; 10 reb; 10 asst.

A little DeMatha trivia.

Sunday's game was the last one for DeMatha in a pandemic shortened season and the team finished with a record of 12-0.  This was just the fourth time in the past 65 years in which a DeMatha team did not win 20 games or more.   On the flip side, this year's squad will go down as the third undefeated team in school history (1978, 1991, and now 2021).  Note -- The legendary Morgan Wooten always said his '65 team was undefeated against high school competition as the squad's only loss was by one point to what was then the freshmen team at the University of Maryland.

Bossi from this weekend's Exposure Breakout in Georgia -

Back in October when I accepted my current job with 247Sports, one of the first messages that I received was one advocating for 6-foot-7 small forward Tyrell Ward out of traditional power Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha to be higher in the national rankings. I agreed that the lean and springy wing deserved a chance to move up, but I just hadn’t seen him enough to feel good about where to rank him.

In January, I saw Ward with his high school team and it was clear to me that he was going to be a big spring riser and that he deserved to be moved higher than his current spot of No. 110. After watching him play with New World twice on Saturday, there is no doubt that he’s going to rise and that Ward has put himself into consideration for elevation into the top 50 nationally.

His handle could be tightened up a little and there is still room to improve all around, but the tools, the motor and toughness are all there. Ward can get to the rim, is a threat to hit jumpers and he’s got a lot of versatility on the defensive end because of his agility.

He’ll ultimately have his choice of where to play on the next level but mentioned that Georgetown and Maryland are on him hard to stay local while others like Georgia, LSU and Seton Hall are among those chasing hard.