Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Northwestern - 12/23/20 @ 8:30 ET on BTN

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t really care if they fire Archie or not because I have zero confidence in our next hire being any better. I want to like Archie and I don’t think he’s a bad coach. We just can’t put it together for some reason  I have no idea why not. Year 4 doesn’t look much different from year 1. 

I just do t get this mentality.  The next hire may/may not be better.  But what is the problem with trying to be better?  It isn’t going to be worse??? Or if it is you fire them and try again

I like Al. I really do. I disagree with most of the criticism thrown his direction. We contradict ourselves every time we post something saying AM players don’t show improvement or aggressiveness and then bag on Al for being the player he is. Truth be told, Al is not a bad ball player. He should have been recruited over 2 years ago, Same with Rob. It didn’t happen though. Not their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I like Al. I really do. I disagree with most of the criticism thrown his direction. We contradict ourselves every time we post something saying AM players don’t show improvement or aggressiveness and then bag on Al for being the player he is. Truth be told, Al is not a bad ball player. He should have been recruited over 2 years ago, Same with Rob. It didn’t happen though. Not their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What is your definition of a good player?  Al shot 0% from the field, 50% from the line, had 1 rebound and had a costly TO at a crucial point in the game???   I expect more of a senior leader at the guard position.  And I expect CAM to not play such a player 35mins a game. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So we should just accept this trash? 

This is the problem. Seems the administration and the fans have accepted mediocrity.  If that is the case, CAM should be hired solely for finding a cheaper coach who can give us the same results.  

1 minute ago, IUCane said:

I just do t get this mentality.  The next hire may/may not be better.  But what is the problem with trying to be better?  It isn’t going to be worse??? Or if it is you fire them and try again

I’m just indifferent after what appears to be another year of mediocre, boring IU basketball. 2015-2016 was the last time we were a good team. 5 years of bad basketball later and I’m burnt out. I really thought Archie would have us back at this point but we aren’t any better off today than we were when Crean got fired. 

IU used to be must watch tv for me. I’d schedule my evenings around the games. Now though, I might watch, I might not. If I do watch, I might switch after a few minutes of gameplay. I watched the second half of the Butler game. I watched the last 5 minutes tonight. It’s not just the losing, though that doesn’t help. It’s how boring our team is. And if I’m feeling that way then a whole lot of casual fans are feeling that way too. 

Well that was piss poor all around.  Outside of TJD.  Well Archie, you put yourself in a large hole.  Good luck getting out of it.  
That's big coming from you. Not intending to be jerk but you've on the "more supportive" side than the other side. What about this game has turned you toward the other half?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I’m just indifferent after what appears to be another year of mediocre, boring IU basketball. 2015-2016 was the last time we were a good team. 5 years of bad basketball later and I’m burnt out. I really thought Archie would have us back at this point but we aren’t any better off today than we were when Crean got fired. 

IU used to be must watch tv for me. I’d schedule my evenings around the games. Now though, I might watch, I might not. If I do watch, I might switch after a few minutes of gameplay. I watched the second half of the Butler game. I watched the last 5 minutes tonight. It’s not just the losing, though that doesn’t help. It’s how boring our team is. And if I’m feeling that way then a whole lot of casual fans are feeling that way too. 

I feel exactly the same. I watched this game in fast forward except for a couple stretches. When I wasn’t enjoying it, the FF button helped, and it stayed on for a while.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So we should just accept this trash? 

No I don't. But we are four coaches in since Knight. I think that is a pattern. We are obviously not looking for the next legendary coach. We are looking for someone who will manage the program, win some games, and not do anything to embarrass the university. Until that mindset changes, the results on the court won't change. No one who matters cares about what I think, but that is my assessment of where we are.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I feel exactly the same. I watched this game in fast forward except for a couple stretches. When I wasn’t enjoying it, the FF button helped, and it stayed on for a while.

Which means you should be “pushing” for change so IU is appointment TV again?   If you/we aren’t ready to push for change we never are going to get that feeling back.  No harm done in trying something different 

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

No I don't. But we are four coaches in since Knight. I think that is a pattern. We are obviously not looking for the next legendary coach. We are looking for someone who will manage the program, win some games, and not do anything to embarrass the university. Until that mindset changes, the results on the court won't change. No one who matters cares about what I think, but that is my assessment of where we are.

We SHOULD be looking for the next legendary coach. And if “we” care about IU basketball like we say we do on these message boards we should do everything in our power to make sure the people in charge share that same vision.  

Some of the posts in here.. come on now. It’s just basketball. 

I got to watch bits and parts. Northwestern finished their plays and hit some incredibly difficult shots with defense. 

the fact that we were even in this game with our guards not showing up is impressive itself. 

i will say I was not very excited about Archie’s lineups in the first half. However, he came out of the halftime with a great plan vs the 3-2 zone! He called the TO’s when necessary in the second half. What cost us (minus many of things) was the non ball screen switch with 1:10 left to go. They hit the jumper and extend the lead to five when we had momentum. Archie was screaming switch but TJD was late on the assignment. 

young team, guards not showing up, turnovers, typical free throw woes. not an ideal game. 

3 minutes ago, IUCane said:

We SHOULD be looking for the next legendary coach. And if “we” care about IU basketball like we say we do on these message boards we should do everything in our power to make sure the people in charge share that same vision.  

I don't disagree, but I think you see what I'm saying. We can blame Davis/Sampson/Crean/Miller all we want, but the real problem is much higher up.

I got to watch bits and parts. Northwestern finished their plays and hit some incredibly difficult shots with defense. 

the fact that we were even in this game with our guards not showing up is impressive itself. 

i will say I was not very excited about Archie’s lineups in the first half. However, he came out of the halftime with a great plan vs the 3-2 zone! He called the TO’s when necessary in the second half. What cost us (minus many of things) was the non ball screen switch with 1:10 left to go. They hit the jumper and extend the lead to five when we had momentum. Archie was screaming switch but TJD was late on the assignment. 

young team, guards not showing up, turnovers, typical free throw woes. not an ideal game. 

I always respect others opinion. It means more or less to each fan. This loss is just another in a long string of embarrassing moments in the Archie tenure. I genuinely don’t see what some see that gives them hope Archie will coach a top B1G program. Zero evidence.

7 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Youust be smoking what Bill Walton does. 

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I always respect others opinion. It means more or less to each fan. This loss is just another in a long string of embarrassing moments in the Archie tenure. I genuinely don’t see what some see that gives them hope Archie will coach a top B1G program. Zero evidence.

I’ll support the Program and Coach. I’m still waiting for a poster to recommend a coach that will realistically come here and lead us to a final four in within 4 years. 

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I’ll support the Program and Coach. I’m still waiting for a poster to recommend a coach that will realistically come here and lead us to a final four in within 4 years. 

Is it the posters job??  Should a competent AD have a list?   How do we know who is realistic?  If the AD and board view IU as a top 5 job then there should be plenty of realistic options who may/may not lead us back?  Worth a shot given what we have seen from Archie.   Altman, Beard, Drew???

22 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Final Four within 4 years? At this point, someone who can get us into contention for a conference title and make a run in the tournament in that span would be an upgrade. Plenty of coaches could do that here.