Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Let’s Play a Lineup Game

Many (most?) of us assume that Archie will start three guards; Lander, Phin, and Durham with TJD and either Race, Joey, or Jerome.

But let’s say he inserts a different player into the three spot—Jerome, Armaan, Galloway, Leal, or Geronimo. Then we’d only start two of the three primary ball handlers. 

Here’s the question: if only two of Durham, Phin, and Lander start, which two will it be, and why?

Discuss

AL

PHIN

FRANK

RACE

TJD

EDIT: Alright, maybe not that line up as there's too many ball handlers on the floor at once. PHIN-HUNTER-AL combo will suffice. 

Pray they all improved shooting the 3. 

Experience and big starting lineup to tire teams out

Phin

Lander

Hunter

TJD

Brunk

Extremely athletic bench that can get up and down the floor when other teams get tired

Al

Leal

Franklin/Galloway

Geronimo

Race

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Archie sticks with experience. So he will probably start

Phin
Al
Hunter
TJD
Brunk

Bench big- Race
Bench guard- Lander

I’d hope Lander is much better than Phin. Phin has never fully impressed me.

So I’d like to see Lander over Phin eventually. Durham over Phin for me.

The pack of Leal, Franklin, Galloway will be interesting to see who separates.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Doc...I very much disagree on Brunk. Archie has made it clear that he’s going smaller than last year. No way Brunk starts.

I’m gonna say:

Phin, Al, Armaan, Race, Trayce.

First off the bench:

Lander, Hunter, Galloway... and then Joey.

Quarantine has made you mad Stuhoo. I’ll believe it when I see it in regards to Brunk.

I hope you are right because we are better with TJD at the 5 and Hunter or Race at the 4.

I think it will be ceremonious starts for Brunk with a super short leash. Like the end of last season.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Quarantine has made you mad Stuhoo. I’ll believe it when I see it in regards to Brunk.

I hope you are right because we are better with TJD at the 5 and Hunter or Race at the 4.

We are better with Race at the four. Period.

I'm gonna guess Phin, Al, Hunter, Race & TJD to start the year. Won't be surprised if Lander eventually replaces Rob.

I am biased against 3 guard line-ups though, so maybe that is coloring my thinking. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think it will be ceremonious starts for Brunk with a super short leash. Like the end of last season.

Agreed. Brunk will start until he proves he shouldn’t. I also don’t see Lander starting until at least halfway through the season unless Al/Phin have a rough start, we can’t start all three with their lack of size. 

Starting: Al, Phin, Hunter, TJD, Brunk

First Off the Bench: Race, Lander, Franklin 

If Hunter hasn’t improved drastically from last year I could see Geronimo or Leal working their way into his spot eventually. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

We are better with Race at the four. Period.

Race played better off the bench in a role player capacity last year. His worst games were when he started. He has to prove he can knock down open shots and develop his post game if he is to start full time. Unfortunately, we need the offense over the intangibles until we find “the guy” on the perimeter. 

15 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is where I am as well.  I almost look at it like the Lakers this season, Vogel typically started Dwight/JaVale at the 5, but when the game was on the line they kicked AD to the 5.  Not a perfect analog given TJD doesn't have the range of AD, but I can see a number of comparable benefits.

My Starting Five: Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD, Brunk

Closing Five: Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD, Race/Franklin/Lander (based on match up & who is playing well)

15 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Agreed. Brunk will start until he proves he shouldn’t. I also don’t see Lander starting until at least halfway through the season unless Al/Phin have a rough start, we can’t start all three with their lack of size. 

Starting: Al, Phin, Hunter, TJD, Brunk

First Off the Bench: Race, Lander, Franklin 

If Hunter hasn’t improved drastically from last year I could see Geronimo or Leal working their way into his spot eventually. 

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

This is where I am as well.  I almost look at it like the Lakers this season, Vogel typically started Dwight/JaVale at the 5, but when the game was on the line they kicked AD to the 5.  Not a perfect analog given TJD doesn't have the range of AD, but I can see a number of comparable benefits.

My Starting Five: Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD, Brunk

Closing Five: Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD, Race/Franklin/Lander (based on match up & who is playing well)

I completely understand what you're both saying, and why you think so.

I very much believe that Archie will go smaller than you expect. If Brunk starts, it'll be with three guards, not a 6'7" Hunter as the starting wing.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I completely understand what you're both saying, and why you think so.

I very much believe that Archie will go smaller than you expect. If Brunk starts, it'll be with three guards, not a 6'7" Hunter as the starting wing.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Hunter doesn’t start. He hasn’t shown he can consistently contribute on both ends of the floor yet. My inserting him into the lineup is more wishful thinking as we need his potential to be an outside scoring threat and his size to guard opposing wings. Franklin may very well have passed him on the depth chart so my only concern is matching up with teams who don’t have traditional 6 ft guards. Asking a guard like Al or Franklin to match up with an athletic 6’6-6’8 wing who can play both inside and on the perimeter would be a huge ask. 

As for Brunk, he’s a Veteran presence, a team captain and beloved by Archie. I just don’t see him losing his starting spot unless he shows poor performances on the court, of which I expect him to have some rope also. 

So much of this really depends on how these kids are progressing in practice. There are a lot of unknowns as to how Hunter, Franklin, Race and the freshman are stacking up to the more established teammates. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if Hunter doesn’t start. He hasn’t shown he can consistently contribute on both ends of the floor yet. My inserting him into the lineup is more wishful thinking as we need his potential to be an outside scoring threat and his size to guard opposing wings. Franklin may very well have passed him on the depth chart so my only concern is matching up with teams who don’t have traditional 6 ft guards. Asking a guard like Al or Franklin to match up with an athletic 6’6-6’8 wing who can play both inside and on the perimeter would be a huge ask. 

As for Brunk, he’s a Veteran presence, a team captain and beloved by Archie. I just don’t see him losing his starting spot unless he shows poor performances on the court, of which I expect him to have some rope also. 

So much of this really depends on how these kids are progressing in practice. There are a lot of unknowns as to how Hunter, Franklin, Race and the freshman are stacking up to the more established teammates. 

Al or Franklin would be fine against most of the wings in the Big Ten. Al has some good length and Franklin has put on good bulk.

This is something that comes up almost every off season that gets overblown. I’ve brought it up several times, too. However, if we could get Hunter going on the wing and back to his old self we could have a huge advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Al, Armaan, Anthony, and Trey are all 6'3" to 6'5". Any of them can guard any B1G wing with no worries. 

Hell, in crunch time the Heat had Iguadola at 6'5" guarding LeBron.

Let's take Kentucky (please! ba-dum-pa): They are pretty much the tallest  team in the top 25 each year. This year their three or four spot is likely to be manned by Keion Brooks. Keion's last game against someone from the group of IU 'small wings' that I cited above? A year and a half ago, when senior McD's AA Brooks and his nationally heralded LaLu squad played against a junior Trey Galloway and Culver. How did that go?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9054299.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Trey Galloway's defense on Keion Brooks kept Culver in the game last night (Photo: Mike Pegram, Peegs.com)

In the terrific rivalry game, USA Today's national No. 1 rank team,  unbeaten La Lumiere School, had all it could handle last night at Culver, narrowly escaping with a 46-45 win in overtime...

Culver guard Trey Galloway had 12 points for the Eagles and defended Brooks for much of the game, holding the Fort Wayne native to 4-for-11 from the floor.

A 6-foot-4 combo guard, Galloway was giving away several inches to Brooks.

"He's a really tough player and I just tried to stay between him and the basket and make him take tough ones," Galloway said. "He can score at all levels. At the rim he can score, he's so long, Shoot it, pull up, everything. I thought I did a good job tonight containing him but he's tough, really good."