Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Indiana MBB 20-21 Rotation Discussion

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

One of the other freshmen will get a chance to earn 10-15 mpg a night.  If Geronimo can defend at a high level he'll get some run.  If Leal can be a solid defender and knockdown shots he'll get time too.

True. But can’t count on it.  Counting on non 5 star freshmen is why the last 25 years have been rough.  If they do develop great. If not we got a plan.  

My guess might be...

Lander 

Durham

Franklin

Thompson

TJD

subs: (in order of minutes)

1. Rob

2. Brunk 

3. Hunter

4. Leal

5. Geronimo

6. Galloway

A little thin up front now...

True. But can’t count on it.  Counting on non 5 star freshmen is why the last 25 years have been rough.  If they do develop great. If not we got a plan.  

Counting on one? Yes, could be a problem. Giving one 10-15 mpg because they’re playing great? Not a problem.

Franklin had a few great games last season. Rob the season before. Geronimo and Leal are in that similar range and should have some really good games as freshmen.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Counting on one? Yes, could be a problem. Giving one 10-15 mpg because they’re playing great? Not a problem.

Franklin had a few great games last season. Rob the season before. Geronimo and Leal are in that similar range and should have some really good games as freshmen.

But the years Rob and Armaan were freshmen were rough years. You kinda made my point 

We we’re counting on non 5 star freshmen to contribute and the seasons were rough and not where we wanted to be 

But the years Rob and Armaan were freshmen were rough years. You kinda made my point 
We we’re counting on non 5 star freshmen to contribute and the seasons were rough and not where we wanted to be 

Last year was rough? Wasn’t pretty but wasn’t rough.

We were counting on Rob as a freshman. Did we count on Franklin? I don’t think we counted on him but he had a few games where he excelled and Archie gave him time. That’s what I expect out of Leal and Geronimo; way inconsistent but for one of them to have a solid game every once in awhile.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Last year was rough? Wasn’t pretty but wasn’t rough.

We were counting on Rob as a freshman. Did we count on Franklin? I don’t think we counted on him but he had a few games where he excelled and Archie gave him time. That’s what I expect out of Leal and Geronimo; way inconsistent but for one of them to have a solid game every once in awhile.

Franklin started 9 games and was first guard off the bench in others. We counted on him. 

And yes last year was a rough year. Any year we finish 11th in conference and get swept by Purdue counts as a rough year

Franklin started 9 games and was first guard off the bench in others. We counted on him. 

And yes last year was a rough year. Any year we finish 11th in conference and get swept by Purdue counts as a rough year

I had a good taste about last season until you reminded me we finished 11th in the big ten. Yuck.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10th, 11th we were a tourney team.

Didn’t realize he started that many games but believe most were early in the season when we had injuries. That’s kind of awesome. The point still stands. Geronimo or Leal will get the chance to get 10-15 mpg and have a small, albeit low inconsistent, impact. That’s not the same as counting on Rob to run the team as a freshman or Franklin to have some early starts and first off the bench in others.

Geronimo or Leal will get the chance to make impacts in SOME games and in SOME of those games they’ll make an impact. That is far from COUNTING on non 5* freshman to make big impacts.

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

10th, 11th we were a tourney team.

Didn’t realize he started that many games but believe most were early in the season when we had injuries. That’s kind of awesome. The point still stands. Geronimo or Leal will get the chance to get 10-15 mpg and have a small, albeit low inconsistent, impact. That’s not the same as counting on Rob to run the team as a freshman or Franklin to have some early starts and first off the bench in others.

Geronimo or Leal will get the chance to make impacts in SOME games and in SOME of those games they’ll make an impact. That is far from COUNTING on non 5* freshman to make big impacts.

Then having the chance is fine. Is needing them to is the problem. 

And our metric for a not rough year can’t be oh we made the tourney.  Anything less than contending for a conference title and a top 4 seed has to be a rough year for us to be where we think we are supposed to be.  

Then having the chance is fine. Is needing them to is the problem. 

And our metric for a not rough year can’t be oh we made the tourney.  Anything less than contending for a conference title and a top 4 seed has to be a rough year for us to be where we think we are supposed to be.  

Pretty sure you argued against a position that was never made.

I’m not contending what you believe is a rough year. Last year went pretty close to how I thought it would. Was it great? Not close. Was it bad? Not close.

I’m not contending what you believe is a rough year. Last year went pretty close to how I thought it would. Was it great? Not close. Was it bad? Not close.

It was pretty close to bad thanks to the offense still sucking.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:27 PM, HoosierAloha said:

I said rough it went along my expectation but that’s the problem. 

Counting on non 5 star freshmen to contribute is not a recipe for success.  You can’t expect to succeed if you are doing it. 

I said rough it went along my expectation but that’s the problem. 

Counting on non 5 star freshmen to contribute is not a recipe for success.  You can’t expect to succeed if you are doing it. 

That’s the part where we’ll be alright. Leal and Geronimo won’t be counted on to contribute every night but will get the chance to show out if they’re on in a particular game.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That’s the part where we’ll be alright. Leal and Geronimo won’t be counted on to contribute every night but will get the chance to show out if they’re on in a particular game.

Unless we have an injury.  And our luck is going to have to change dramatically to not have an injury. 

We have a 7 person rotation of experience. 8 with Lander thrown in. 8 is pushing it with the style of system Archie runs. One injury and we will be depending on a freshmen. 

Phin/Lander
Durham/Franklin/Leal
Hunter/Durham/Geronimo
Jackson-Davis/Thompson/Hunter
Brunk/Jackson-Davis

There is a solid mix of talent and experience. If we have an injury, in most cases, an experienced player is there to absorb most of those minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

15 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Phin/Lander
Durham/Franklin/Leal
Hunter/Durham/Geronimo
Jackson-Davis/Thompson/Hunter
Brunk/Jackson-Davis

There is a solid mix of talent and experience. If we have an injury, in most cases, an experienced player is there to absorb most of those minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Perfect world sure. But say Al is hurt and then they call 2 quick bs fouls on Phinisee. Well great sorta boned. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Perfect world sure. But say Al is hurt and then they call 2 quick bs fouls on Phinisee. Well great sorta boned. 

Not true IMO:

A five star freshman pg, Franklin, Hunter, Race, and TJD is very strong, and could even be our best starting lineup.

It’s probably our most athletic lineup.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not true IMO:

A five start freshman pg, Franklin, Hunter, Race, and TJD is very strong, and could even be our best starting lineup.

It’s probably our most athletic lineup.

That’s a great line up but then we are relying on non 5 star freshmen to come in and contribute off the bench. 

It’s not a coincidence that in the last 12 years our 3 best teams had a combined 1 freshmen(non 5 star) get more than 10 minutes a game.  That was OG who still got less than 15. Hoping for diamonds in the rough isn’t a winning strategy.