Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB - News and Notes

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

If we can make this "Covid outbreak" last the rest of the regular season, do we win the Big Ten title for being undefeated? 

Theoretically yes as it is by winning percentage, but my guess is they come back in 10 days against Illinois. If IU is 14-0 in conference though they win on percentage indeed. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I hate that we or any program are having to deal with this crap but on the flip side, I'm not upset that we'll have a little break to get Nicole back and 1 less game to play without Mackenzie.

The Iowa game getting cancelled would be huge as that is a likely loss against a really good Hawkeye team coming on strong.

If we can resume next Thursday against Illinois in 10 days we can probably go into the final four games with no more than one loss and hopefully get Mac back by then and win Big Ten Title on percentage.  

Per the amended Big Ten Conference 2021-22 Forfeiture Guidelines, this game will be postponed and the Conference office will coordinate the rescheduling process with both schools. If the game is not able to be rescheduled, it would count as a "no contest" for both teams.

If Mackenzie is going to be out for an extended period, the Iowa game at Iowa would be one to have end up as a "no contest" game.

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

No game Sunday, either. That leaves us with three games that need to be made up ...

Best thing to happen to you. This Sunday game is likely to be a loss without Holmes given Iowa has two excellent big's.

This gives IU a huge leg up to try to win the Big Ten on percentage points and have only one loss against Michigan heading into final four games when hopefully you can have Mac back.

Now you can resume next Thursday against Illinois in a game that is a good one after a long break and gives you an easy win to get into shape heading into Michigan.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Road game at Illinois has been re-scheduled to Wednesday, Feb. 9, at 8:00 ET.

May be an image of 1 person and text

Moving 1 day earlier opens up a shot at playing either Friday night (11th) or Saturday (12th).  They have Nebraska on Monday the 14th.

The next 5 day window is between Iowa (20th) and Maryland (25th).

12 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

On Coach Moren's radio show tonight she said everyone's through COVID protocol and available.   They're hopeful to get Mackenzie back in February.

That’s really good for a championship run. Get all the sadness behind us.

Are any efforts being made to reschedule any of these games? The Rutgers game was supposed to be almost a month ago. We've had 5 total games postponed now, at least one of which won't be made up (non-conference game). The NCAA rules say a team has to play at least 25 games to be eligible for the tournament. Our initial schedule was 30 games: 18 conference and 12 non-conference. We're up to 4 cancellations now. I'm starting to worry we won't have enough games to even qualify for the postseason. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, TheWatShot said:

Are any efforts being made to reschedule any of these games? The Rutgers game was supposed to be almost a month ago. We've had 5 total games postponed now, at least one of which won't be made up (non-conference game). The NCAA rules say a team has to play at least 25 games to be eligible for the tournament. Our initial schedule was 30 games: 18 conference and 12 non-conference. We're up to 4 cancellations now. I'm starting to worry we won't have enough games to even qualify for the postseason. 

Announced today.  25 games is the NCAA  minimum for March Madness participation

https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-sets-minimum-game-requirement-for-eligibility/

On 1/26/2022 at 5:44 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Announced today.  25 games is the NCAA  minimum for March Madness participation

https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-sets-minimum-game-requirement-for-eligibility/

And it says you can get a waiver with less than 25 games. Like anything else with NCAA, the rules are not really rules.

I expect IU to make up two of their four missed games given the gaps they have in schedule. However, I fully expect IU to finish second in Big Ten behind Michigan. Still a top 4 seed is almost a certainty in Big Ten and NCAA Tournament and don't expect team to be worse than 13-3 in conference. I would just be shocked if Michigan has more than two losses plus they are likely to have tiebreaker by beating us Monday, so we will need one less loss than them to win conference.

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Those of you that follow the IUWBB program do you  think we'll have a game against Minny Thursday night or is the impending snowstorm likely to cause it to be postponed?  The latest numbers I've seen indicate 5"-11" before it ends.

I hope not. Covid is already suffocating what had the potential to be a special season for us. We can't afford any more postponements.