Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

15 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Confirmed cases vs deaths is absolutely about the same 

Ohio confirmed cases:  17,962

Ohio deaths with positive confirmed test:  922 (and we can go with or without the totals with probable cause, which would add 80 more)

Ohio population:  11.7 million

Indiana confirmed cases:  18,630

Indiana deaths with positive confirmed tests:  1,062 ( and we could add an additional 113 probable cause cases)

Indiana popluation:  6.7 million

So Ohio has fewer cases and fewer deaths but a population that is 75% or so larger.  As I said, our death RATE is twice theirs.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

29 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Dude listen,  you can sit at home and let your immune system weaken.  But we don't need you constantly lecturing people on here how to live their lives. 

And maybe you can sit and google what 'rate' means since you want to argue about things you don't know anything about.

I will also add there are more boats on the lake than a typical non-holiday weekend. Will be crazy tomorrow. Supposed to be gorgeous. There are actually dudes with their waverunners out. Too cold for all of that even in a wet suit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

50 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I will also add there are more boats on the lake than a typical non-holiday weekend. Will be crazy tomorrow. Supposed to be gorgeous. There are actually dudes with their waverunners out. Too cold for all of that even in a wet suit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I guess we are all gonna die then.    

To anyone who thinks I'm trying to be some kind of "downer":

I 10000% percent prefer to be wrong than right on this.  There is ZERO prize for being correct.  But I'm not going to data for the sake of ignoring them.  I do believe there has been amazing transparency in the date that the Indiana government has posted and I do applaud Holcomb for that.  I believe his assessment in that the number of ICU beds available and ventilators have been decreasing.  But I'm not convinced that was going to continue to track that way given that our seven highest case reports have been in the last eight days.  And I'm scratching my head when one of his principles to get back on track is the ability for health officials to perform contact tracing when he has stated that will not be in place until the 11th.

My opinion is that the 11th would have been a much better target date to start for retail and for in-dining restaurants to coincide with contact tracing and to watch if there was in "bleed" in cases from Cass.  

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Ohio deaths with positive confirmed test:  922 (and we can go with or without the totals with probable cause, which would add 80 more)

Indiana deaths with positive confirmed tests:  1,062 ( and we could add an additional 113 probable cause cases)

So Ohio has fewer cases and fewer deaths but a population that is 75% or so larger.  As I said, our death RATE is twice theirs.

Ohio 18,743. My wife is in the middle of it everyday at Methodist.  I know exactly what's going on. I've also had it, it is not pleasant. 

Just now, jk34 said:

Ohio 18,743. My wife is in the middle of it everyday at Methodist.  I know exactly what's going on. I've also had it, it is not pleasant. 

Very, very sorry to hear that.  But that doesn't change the fact that the death rate in Indiana is twice that of Ohio.

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

To anyone who thinks I'm trying to be some kind of "downer":

I 10000% percent prefer to be wrong than right on this.  There is ZERO prize for being correct.  But I'm not going to data for the sake of ignoring them.  I do believe there has been amazing transparency in the date that the Indiana government has posted and I do applaud Holcomb for that.  I believe his assessment in that the number of ICU beds available and ventilators have been decreasing.  But I'm not convinced that was going to continue to track that way given that our seven highest case reports have been in the last eight days.  And I'm scratching my head when one of his principles to get back on track is the ability for health officials to perform contact tracing when he has stated that will not be in place until the 11th.

My opinion is that the 11th would have been a much better target date to start for retail and for in-dining restaurants to coincide with contact tracing and to watch if there was in "bleed" in cases from Cass.  

What are your thoughts on retail? I personally don't see a problem with it. Folks have been packing into target and Walmart for the last 6 weeks. This won't be much different. If anything it could reduce crowding because everyone won't be packed into the same 2-3 stores. I think opening them before restaurants makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What are your thoughts on retail? I personally don't see a problem with it. Folks have been packing into target and Walmart for the last 6 weeks. This won't be much different. If anything it could reduce crowding because everyone won't be packed into the same 2-3 stores. I think opening them before restaurants makes sense. 

Fair point.  I am more concerned about restaurants than retail.  I think there is a very good reason that Ohio has not even planned their in-dining opening yet.

In terms of packed stores.....I simply don't know and think that probably varies from place to place.  I know if I were around the city I grew up in where there is a single wal-mart within driveable distance and few groceries stores, they are likely much more packed than where I live now where there are more options.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I am more concerned about restaurants than retail.  I think there is a very good reason that Ohio has not even planned their in-dining opening yet.

Yeah, I'm not sure that opening restaurants is the best idea, but I'm glad that at least they aren't allowed to open until the 11th. They will have some time to figure out how to safely reopen.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that opening restaurants is the best idea, but I'm glad that at least they aren't allowed to open until the 11th. They will have some time to figure out how to safely reopen.

Big question is making sure they can get cleaning supplies and are using them frequently. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Big question is making sure they can get cleaning supplies and are using them frequently. 

The looking to repurpose small companies to make PPE's is a positive step.  What I didn't like is that when I checked the backontrack site for Indiana, masks for employees is listed only as advised and not required step.  I'll have to dig in a little deeper to see if that is for specific industries only, but from what I have initially gathered that was for all.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

FWIW, I'm not convinced that Wal-Mart stores (just hearsay, have no first hand knowledge, so take it FWIW) were following their own guidelines to minimize the number of people in the store.  I know they were not counting # of employees in their limitations to begin with, which doesn't make sense to me.

I would hope that grocery stores/stores with aisles would come up with a system where aisles alternated directions and were one way.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Big statistics are great.  But to understand what is really going on one needs to go further and figure out why these states have different results.  Both states "shut down" within days of each other.  So what is going on in Indiana that is not going on in Ohio, and has that issue been corrected?  

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

FWIW, I'm not convinced that Wal-Mart stores (just hearsay, have no first hand knowledge, so take it FWIW) were following their own guidelines to minimize the number of people in the store.  I know they were not counting # of employees in their limitations to begin with, which doesn't make sense to me.

I would hope that grocery stores/stores with aisles would come up with a system where aisles alternated directions and were one way.

Brownsburg Walmart has the one way aisles. 

Also a lot of retailers actually have cameras and software tracking number of customers in the store