Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Some people will never understand having business and personal debt.
Unemployment and stimulus checks don’t cover those for 2 plus months for many people.

Now I never advocate breaking rules but the lack of empathy towards these people getting economically crushed and possibly losing everything they’ve worked for their entire lives is remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I have empathy but that goes out the door when you decide that your fiscal situation is more important than other people’s health.  

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Some people will never understand having business and personal debt.
Unemployment and stimulus checks don’t cover those for 2 plus months for many people.

Now I never advocate breaking rules but the lack of empathy towards these people getting economically crushed and possibly losing everything they’ve worked for their entire lives is remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Actions have consequences.  You can be empathetic to someone losing their revenue stream and still question their methods.  For instance, he gave the governor’s personal cell phone number out on national tv...a number which he had because in 2012 he hired her as an attorney to defend him because he had threatened the Bethel town mayor.  He’s not exactly casting himself in a light to be empathetic towards.

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Except all the people there went there willingly. He didn’t force them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They wouldn't have been in his restaurant if he didn't willfully disobey orders.  It's still on him if they get sick; being a business owner doesn't absolve him of responsibility.

They wouldn't have been in his restaurant if he didn't willfully disobey orders.  It's still on him if they get sick; being a business owner doesn't absolve him of responsibility.

No one told those people to go. Personal responsibility. They chose to go, they chose to not stay safe. That’s on them.

Actions have consequences.  You can be empathetic to someone losing their revenue stream and still question their methods.  For instance, he gave the governor’s personal cell phone number out on national tv...a number which he had because in 2012 he hired her as an attorney to defend him because he had threatened the Bethel town mayor.  He’s not exactly casting himself in a light to be empathetic towards.

I’m not defending his methods. I’m saying (potentially him and millions of other business owners are facing stresses nobody else can possibly fathom).

When your livelihood and survivability is being threatened outside of your control you may act irrationally as well.

Yes, some federal help is in place, but no where near the level to save all these businesses.

These peoples lives and their families could be forever impacted.

Say, for example, we lose 200k to Corona Virus associated deaths but 2 million people lose businesses and have forever stressful impacts on mental health and physical. No one wants to consider the impact of this sequelae.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not defending his methods. I’m saying (potentially him and millions of other business owners are facing stresses nobody else can possibly fathom).

When your livelihood and survivability is being threatened outside of your control you may act irrationally as well.

Yes, some federal help is in place, but no where near the level to save all these businesses.

Say, for example, we lose 200k to Corona Virus associated deaths but 2 million people lose businesses and have forever stressful impacts on mental health and physical. No one wants to consider the impact of this sequelae.

There’s tons of discussion about striking the proper balance. If people re-open too soon and the numbers spike, it’s gonna scare the crap out of most and the economic fallout will be even worse that an extended shutdown.

However, staying restricted longer than necessary is a terrible idea too, for so many reasons; both economic and mental health centered.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Seems to be how you’re acting. As if it’s his fault. As if those people can’t make decisions on their own.

It's entirely possible for there to be multiple idiots involved.  The people were idiots for going; but that doesn't change the fact that they couldn't have been there if the owner didn't decide orders don't apply to him.

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It's entirely possible for there to be multiple idiots involved.  The people were idiots for going; but that doesn't change the fact that they couldn't have been there if the owner didn't decide orders don't apply to him.

Yeah I’m also willing to excuse them for being idiots through ignorance where as he was a complete willful and intentional idiot

25 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Do you seriously think that 'no one is considering the impact' of the economics when states are opening sooner than epideomologists are recommending?

Yeah I’m also willing to excuse them for being idiots through ignorance where as he was a complete willful and intentional idiot

So those people just all of a sudden forgot they shouldn’t be there? I find that hard to believe. They knew what they were doing.

37 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe Your right. Maybe we should let businesses put profits over people from now on. Hospitals should send people home to die if the treatment would be expensive for the insurance company.  

And paramedics should just not respond to poor neighborhoods.  

Profits are much more important than lives.  

We could have panels that decide who is worthy of economic sacrifice and everybody else can just go die 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So those people just all of a sudden forgot they shouldn’t be there? I find that hard to believe. They knew what they were doing.

I think it’s believable that some saw he was open and assumed he was allowed to be. Still doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be punished. But doesn’t deserve the same ire