Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

WBB Puerto Rico 3 game stand

I have not commented in the good that has happened this year so I want to be careful what I say but this is the most humiliating loss either the Men's or Women's team has suffered since I believe the men's team loss to Lipscomb in 08-09. Both teams have taken some bad non conference loses to mid-majors ranked in the 100's last few years but this Grambling St team is much worse than any of them with 1 win and a low Major out of the SWAC with 1-8 record and probably in the 200 or 300's. 

If this were the men's team or not in the middle of the work day on an exotic Island with 50 people in attendance there this would be an all out revolt from the fan base and calling on the firing of coaches regardless of  previous circumstances (not saying that would be justified).

With that said this this team has been beyond anything anyone expected to start the season and have pilled up some decent wins. I never thought they were this good but I did not think they would lose a game like this. There is a reason this team is not ranked and this game proved that. I hope they don't play half a season like last year where they started slow and finished strong and fall of after a great start this year.

Assuming this is a one off though they still has a ton to play for but this loss will probably now require a 12-6 Big Ten record to even think of making NCAA tourney with a non conference resume lacking a signature win. There are some nice wins but I don't believe any are tourney teams IU has beaten. This loss is gonna really sting and probably require 2-3 extra Big Ten wins to make up for it and think of making tourney. Hopefully team gets back to way they were playing before this game. However, this is the game you could least afford to lose given quality of opponent and you did and there is some work to do now. 

Positive was good viewing numbers on Facebook as about 400 were watching the live stream at a given time and over 500 late.

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Someone actually created a Facebook account called "SWAC champ" to troll IU fans on the live stream. Seriously.

I saw that. I just ignored it and minimized the comments and focused on the game. Don't want to engage annoying trolls. 

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

I have never been a big fan of Moren. It should not be difficult to make the NCAA tournament at IU. It was silly how we celebrated a WNIT championship. 

Just curious. Who are you a fan of? She is getting the most talent than anyone ever has here. Just don't understand the negativity you always have against IU.

Just curious. Who are you a fan of? She is getting the most talent than anyone ever has here. Just don't understand the negativity you always have against IU.

Yeah, I think she is doing well. We’ve been bad for a long time. Results and recruiting have been on an upswing. Let’s see this thing out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I've been trying to figure out a way to post on the loss without sounding too much like a sunshine pumper (which I am, but...).  Most teams, men and women, face a loss that they shouldn't.   CTM has recruited, coached and trained this team to play very well.  This loss was a head scratcher, but to be 10-0 is something I'm proud of, and anyone who is a fan of the team should be also.  This, I believe, is a wake up moment, a catalyst to teach the team.  Weird circumstances- long layoff, Gulbe injured then coming back, and two players injured yesterday all contribute to this L.  Am I happy?  Obviously, no.  But, to doubt CTM at this point (I'll be the first to admit I had my doubts 2 seasons ago) is kinda crazy.  If you look at our history as a program, yes, it's hard to make the NCAA tournament- we've been a perennial cellar dweller.  It's not silly at all to celebrate the WNIT, as it's a heck of an accomplishment for our program.  We've never had recruiting like we have now, we've never had a team like we have had last year and this year.  One loss is not a reason to dog this team.  The majority of fans, in this thread and in the stands, believe in this team, and understand the program.  

Couldn't agree more. As is the case with Archie, there is a learning curve when you start getting high quality talent. You have to change some of your coaching philosophy on the offensive end. Really excited to see where these two coaches are taking their programs!

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

I have never been a big fan of Moren. It should not be difficult to make the NCAA tournament at IU. It was silly how we celebrated a WNIT championship. 

I will be shocked if we dont win the 2019 wnit tourney too.

The reason we didnt make the tourney last year was because of "not enough quality wins" so this 2019 noncon schedule baffles me. We play almost the whole nonconference at home or on neutral courts. Our best win so far is probably LMU..maybe UCLA. Did this prepare us to play Michigan State, Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Nebraska ect? I hope so, but this noncon is not doing us any favors..

its why we aren't ranked if anyone is wondering why

Team(s) are having success and he’s nowhere to be found. One of the teams lose or looks bad and he’s all over it, like clockwork.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app