Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Cheaney40

Juwan Morgan RETURNING For Senior Season

Thanks. I heard prior to the year he was gone for sure but it’s definitely possible this coming year’s outlook and Archie may have changed that 

I could see with his competitive friendship with OG, why he might be inclined to try to leave. Time will tell, but him returning is not as sure of a thing as many think.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet he returns, but I wouldn't put a weeks pay on it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I could see with his competitive friendship with OG, why he might be inclined to try to leave. Time will tell, but him returning is not as sure of a thing as many think.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet he returns, but I wouldn't put a weeks pay on it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. I’ve just been hearing that he is definitely gone from decent sources but I don’t think that is necessarily logical. I just wanted to clear up a little of a misconception on this board, he is not 95% returning. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Agreed. I’ve just been hearing that he is definitely gone from decent sources but I don’t think that is necessarily logical. I just wanted to clear up a little of a misconception on this board, he is not 95% returning. 

Care to share the nature of the connection of these "decent sources?"

I will say, if he is leaving, I feel that we'd be pursuing way more grad transfer bigs than we are currently. It seems right now, based on recruiting and Chris007 info, that we're currently just trying to find a supplement to Deron, not Deron and Juwan.

Maybe we shouldn't be so confident in Juwan staying.  I have seen interviews where he talks about him and OG texting every day, with OG actively encouraging him to go pro, it's such a blast, get here, etc.  Juwan's two classmates are gone.  It's like being a 90 year old with none of your friends left.  Being a senior star has the same kind of dubious honor of holding a minor league record.  Juwan has his own teammates who can tell him about life as a G-leaguer; Yogi, Troy, JBJ, Thomas, Zeisloft.  Most of those guys left early, and are likely telling Juwan they're glad they did.  

Also, people aren't just going to let Juwan steamroll them.  Justin Smith is jumping out the gym?  Romeo is coming?  Will Juwan stand out the same way next year?  Does Juwan really want to spend another season playing the undersized 5?  

I want him back.  But I think our judgment gets cloudy because we're all dying to get IU back to the Final Four.  I don't think the last 16 months in Bloomington have been so great that Juwan wouldn't entertain moving on.

Although I hope he stays, I'm not too concerned.  We have a coach that knows what he is doing and I am sure he's got someone waiting in the wings if Juwan declares. We will be fine, in fact better than fine.  Our future is looking fantastic - with or without JMO.

Edited by Hoosier987

8 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Maybe we shouldn't be so confident in Juwan staying.  I have seen interviews where he talks about him and OG texting every day, with OG actively encouraging him to go pro, it's such a blast, get here, etc.  Juwan's two classmates are gone.  It's like being a 90 year old with none of your friends left.  Being a senior star has the same kind of dubious honor of holding a minor league record.  Juwan has his own teammates who can tell him about life as a G-leaguer; Yogi, Troy, JBJ, Thomas, Zeisloft.  Most of those guys left early, and are likely telling Juwan they're glad they did.  

Also, people aren't just going to let Juwan steamroll them.  Justin Smith is jumping out the gym?  Romeo is coming?  Will Juwan stand out the same way next year?  Does Juwan really want to spend another season playing the undersized 5?  

I want him back.  But I think our judgment gets cloudy because we're all dying to get IU back to the Final Four.  I don't think the last 16 months in Bloomington have been so great that Juwan wouldn't entertain moving on.

Honestly it makes a lot sense to go pro. He's not gonna be a first rounder next year. Only benefit is if we went on a big run he might get a better endorsement deal. 

32 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Honestly it makes a lot sense to go pro. He's not gonna be a first rounder next year. Only benefit is if we went on a big run he might get a better endorsement deal. 

I mean, I wouldn't rule that out. If he can come back and put together a dominate senior season, one where he's a lock down defender and can consistently hit the three, he immediately becomes a much more interesting NBA prospect. He has unique 3 and D potential, but I don't think we've really seen him reach it yet.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he wants to play in front of 500 people a night and make $40,think there's 000 next year then he leaves. If he wants to compete for Big 10 POY and make a tournament run in front of 17,000 fans a night then he stays. 

I don't think there's much to gain by leaving and much to lose by staying, but by staying there's potential to make a much larger payday next year.

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he wants to play in front of 500 people a night and make $40,000 next year then he leaves. If he wants to compete for Big 10 POY and make a tournament run in front of 17,000 fans a night then he stays. 

That could very well be the case.  OG may be doing Juwan a huge disservice by encouraging him to go pro - OG has potential and athletic ability that Morgan doesn't and never will have.  I'd hate to see him give in to peer pressure and then be relegated to the future you describe.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I will say, if he is leaving, I feel that we'd be pursuing way more grad transfer bigs than we are currently. It seems right now, based on recruiting and Chris007 info, that we're currently just trying to find a supplement to Deron, not Deron and Juwan.

If Juwan does leave, then I think Smith slides into the PF position. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I don't think there's much to gain by leaving and much to lose by staying, but by staying there's potential to make a much larger payday next year.

I agree completely. Chances are he won't get a "two-way" contract, so he'd likely be making $35,000 next year. Better than nothing, but not very good either. It's certainly not life changing money.

Right now Morgan is relatively unknown outside of Big 10 country. If we land Romeo, coming back and having another good season would do a lot to increase his "brand". The only real negative I see is the potential for injury, but that can happen just as easily in the G League as it could in college. 

14 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

That could very well be the case.  OG may be doing Juwan a huge disservice by encouraging him to go pro - OG has potential and athletic ability that Morgan doesn't and never will have.  I'd hate to seem him give in to peer pressure and then be relegated to the future you describe.

Yeah, OG knew he was going in the 1st round and would be in for a multi-million dollar payday even if he never stepped onto the court again. Morgan would be scrapping and clawing his way through the G League, making less money than a lot of regular joe college graduates do. I know OG just wants to see his friend make it, but the two's situations are completely different.