Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUBASE - 3 game series vs Purdue

We host little brother today @ 3:30. Sunday's game is on BTN. Set the DVR. Go Hoosiers!

RPI/SOS: IU 18/105, PU 88/172

Preview //  Live Stats  //  Radio  // B1G Standings

Friday - 3:30 p.m. ET: IU - RHP Stiever (3-1, 3.32 ERA), PU - RHP Andrews (3-3, 1.99 ERA) - L, 4-2

Saturday - 2:05 p.m. ET: IU - RHP Milto (4-2, 2.25 ERA), PU - LHP Stroh (4-0, 3.12 ERA) - W, 14-1

Sunday - 3 p.m. ET: IU - LHP Beauchamp (3-0, 1.96 ERA), PU - RHP Johnson (1-1, 1.02 ERA) - W, 7-5 in 13

After checking the weather yesterday, Sunday didn't look good. Apparently something has changed though because, as of now, we're clear skies all weekend!!! 

Pretty sure we're headed over there tomorrow. Thinking some BJ's Brewhouse before the game!!

Logan Kaletha    cf
Matt Lloyd    2b
Luke Miller    dh
Logan Sowers    rf
Ryan Fineman    c
Matt Gorski    lf
Scotty Bradley    1b
Cole Barr    3b
Justin Walker    ss
Jonathan Stiever    p

5 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

Logan Kaletha    cf
Matt Lloyd    2b
Luke Miller    dh
Logan Sowers    rf
Ryan Fineman    c
Matt Gorski    lf
Scotty Bradley    1b
Cole Barr    3b
Justin Walker    ss
Jonathan Stiever    p

Not going to lie..  I would have bet this would be our lineup. Didn't know Miller would be DH, but it makes sense. 

This is kind of stuff that happens under Lemonis with Walker a bit to frequently in close games that rarely happened if ever under Smith. It's fascinating for me the Smith vs Lemonis conversation. My opinion is both are good coaches but Smith is much more complete and did it all (at least here). Lemonis is a great recruiter and decent in game manger but doesn't develop the talent or teach fundamentals quite as well. With all that said I liken IU baseball to Butler Basketball in that Butler never has come close to the Final Four since the Stevens' runs and they no longer dominate their league (the Horizon League to Big East is not that different in the competitiveness jump than how much the Big Ten has stepped up last 5 years in Baseball) but still make the tourney regularly and compete near the top of a much more competitive league. As long as IU continues down this road (and these are the reasonable expectations now) Lemonis is the guy despite some warts, unless you think Butler needs to dump Lavell Jordan. If this standard can't be maintained then you make a change. 

With that said the most important advice I ever got from the baseball coaches at the school I interned was you always lose a third and win a third of your games. Its how you execute in the other third that determines your record. Under Smith we pretty much won everyone of these third of games (especially in Big Ten) and with Lemonis we probably win majority but execute badly in a few like today hence the slightly fewer wins which we have to work on.

I know we are projected to host but I don't expect to and have not all year given the last couple years. We are just never strong enough in Big Ten. I predict more like 14-9 or 15-8 and 2nd or 3rd place finish in conference and going as a 2 seed to someone else's regional which is what I thought all along. I do expect us to win most of our non conference games and especially the big ones we need (I.E. Louisville and UK) to comfortably qualify for tourney. We thrive when the lights are brightest and the opponents are the strongest but sometimes lose focus when the competition takes a step down like today.

Nice start Hoosiers lead 8-1 today in 5th. Just turned on. 

Another thing I realized sucks and its completely beyond IU's or anyone's control is attendance has been the lowest I have seen it since Bart Kaufman opened this year and its not performance at all or a lack of interest from fan base. Its purely that the weather has been worse than it has ever been during the season and no one wants to go. I've looked across other northern teams and attendance seems to be down everywhere by a lot and no one is at fault except mother nature. We can debate playing early baseball (and I don't want to right now) but generally attendance gets better by now and weather warms up. This has been an unusual year. Hopefully we finally get some warm days soon and can have our typical Friday/Saturday sellouts at the Bart we usually do. Attendance for PU is not full for first time ever and I blame no one given it seems we have February weather in April. I certainly don't want to come out.