Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2019) PF Matthew Hurt to Duke

They will pay top dollar to get the best coach and players available because they care about winning at the highest level possible.

Fixed it for you.

I'd like IU basketball to return to its former glory but I've never wanted the program I love to emulate that puke. Historically, they're cheating is in a blue blood status of its own.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Kentucky yes. Duke? Haven’t proved that beyond K. I am sure most thought that about us 20 years ago.

Yep- 90% of Duke's "fanbase" has zero connection to the school,  they are just band-wagons chumps. 

At least the in-bred hilljacks in Kentucky live in the state and have been taught to be Big Blew hooligans since they were drinking bouron on their grand-pappy/uncle's knee.  

So if Duke falls off for a couple years their won't be the pressure to improve. Their fans will move on to the next shiny thing. With Kentucky (Alabama football too) the fanbase demands success regardless. 

Yep- 90% of Duke's "fanbase" has zero connection to the school,  they are just band-wagons chumps. 
At least the in-bred hilljacks in Kentucky live in the state and have been taught to be Big Blew hooligans since they were drinking bouron on their grand-pappy/uncle's knee.  
So if Duke falls off for a couple years their won't be the pressure to improve. Their fans will move on to the next shiny thing. With Kentucky (Alabama football too) the fanbase demands success regardless. 
Just a quick question, I'm curious if you think anyone who has no connection to a school or State are "chumps" because they are on that school's bandwagon? If so, I along with many other Hoosier fans are "chumps". Good chumps, but chumps nonetheless! Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just a quick question, I'm curious if you think anyone who has no connection to a school or State are "chumps" because they are on that school's bandwagon? If so, I along with many other Hoosier fans are "chumps". Good chumps, but chumps nonetheless! Lol

There are quite a bit of schools like this. Few are as pompous as Duke. We have our resident Dukie but he isn’t the norm. Typically most “bandwagon” fans attach to their state school. UNC would make much more sense as they have won titles and they are the state school. Post-Laettner Duke had a lot of fans. That number went up exponentially in the last 10 years. UNC has stayed steady. I would venture to say UK has mostly stayed steady in spite of their recent success. Kansas is the same. There are bandwagon fans from an early age then there are bandwagon fans jumping from team to team. To me that is different.

It will be interesting to see what happens at those schools.  The UK fans have no doubt that they will get Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan (their choice) automatically.  I think they are going to be deeply disappointed.

1 hour ago, iufaninillinois said:

No, in Illinois, you had no choice but to look elsewhere! 

I guess my point was Duke has no real fan base, just a bunch of front-runners that like them because they've been successful. There isn't anything logical about being a sports fan, so maybe it's silly, but I look down on them. Just like the people in the Midwest that are die-hard Patriot fans (and have been since 2002!) ...... but couldn't find New England on a map. Nothing says you have to like a team that is geographically relevant to you, but c'mon, that is pathetic.  

Good response. Lol

No, in Illinois, you had no choice but to look elsewhere! 
I guess my point was Duke has no real fan base, just a bunch of front-runners that like them because they've been successful. There isn't anything logical about being a sports fan, so maybe it's silly, but I look down on them. Just like the people in the Midwest that are die-hard Patriot fans (and have been since 2002!) ...... but couldn't find New England on a map. Nothing says you have to like a team that is geographically relevant to you, but c'mon, that is pathetic.  

On 8/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, Iugradman said:

They will pay top dollar to get the best coach available because they care about winning at the highest level possible.

Billy Gillispie? 

Sounds like we're still battling for Hurt but the odds seem awfully long against us.

From 247Sports - 

One of the more intense recruitments in the country belongs to five-star forward Matthew Hurt. The top 10 prospect has as busy a recruitment as ever, and with college coaches allowed on the road to see prospects for in-home visits starting on Sunday, some of the best in the country will be making their way to see Hurt immediately.

According to a source familiar with the recruitment, things will get going on Sunday when Mike Krzyzewski and Duke come in to town.

"Duke will be the first program in to see them," said the source of Hurt. "After Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are set to come in. I know Kentucky is finishing up their visit with James Wiseman on Sunday, so after that they will bring their full staff up to see the family, so that will be the last visit of the day."

Things won't slow down during the week either, as some of Hurt's other top options will be coming in to see him.

"I believe on Monday Roy Williams is going to come in and see the family," said the source. "Also on Monday Villanova is going to come by, they have picked things up recently, and also Coach (Richard) Pitino at Minnesota is going to come in."

The majority of the schools very interested in Hurt will be in the first couple of days, but others are coming in later in the week and next week.

"Memphis should be coming in on Wednesday with Coach (Penny) Hardaway and Coach (Mike) Miller," said the source. "Also I believe he just set up Coach Archie (Miller) and Indiana coming in the following Monday."

Has everyone given up on this one just bc of our competition?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I haven't given up because of the competition. I'd like to get TJD and Brooks then see where things stand in the spring. If we land either Stewart or Hurt I'd be ecstatic.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

He was well regarded as I recall. And they fired him as soon as it was apparent he wasn’t the guy. 

But, was he "the best coach available" and if he was, it didn't matter at all, that they paid top dollar.

Kentucky has a huge chance to step way back following Cal.

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

But, was he "the best coach available" and if he was, it didn't matter at all, that they paid top dollar.

Kentucky has a huge chance to step way back following Cal.

Best available not sure. But was without a doubt was a rising star. 

No hire is guaranteed to work out. No matter how much you spend.  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Best available not sure. But was without a doubt was a rising star. 

No hire is guaranteed to work out. No matter how much you spend.  

Correct, but the original post was that UK wouldn't take a step back because they will spend big to hire a top coach. 

I just pointed out the Billy gillispie hire didn't pan out for them.

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Correct, but the original post was that UK wouldn't take a step back because they will spend big to hire a top coach. 

I just pointed out the Billy gillispie hire didn't pan out for them.

They didn’t take a step back they went down hill because of tubby. BG just wasn’t the guy to move them forward so they ditched him. 

If anything those two hires showed UK the way. Bad decisions over a decade ago don’t dictate their policy now. 

When Cal leaves coaches all around the country will get pay raises. Probably Achie and Holtmann tbh. 

IU will never lose a coach in basketball to another school. If we did I will become the first to say we are a second tier school and I can no longer be a fan of the university where I got my degree. At that point we become what Gradman feels we are and I couldn’t waste my energy on it.

23 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

IU will never lose a coach in basketball to another school. If we did I will become the first to say we are a second tier school and I can no longer be a fan of the university where I got my degree. At that point we become what Gradman feels we are and I couldn’t waste my energy on it.

Never said we would lose one. Doesn’t mean we wouldn’t have to pony up some cash  We will never lose one as long as we are willing to match compensation.