Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Wisconsin @ Indiana - 19:00 EST on ESPN - Official Game Thread

All right guys, if we can't beat Wisco this year, we literally may never do it.

Let's keep feeding the post and playing a little tighter on defense. I want OG to show them why Bo Ryan was so scared of him that Bo quit. I want everyone making sure TB gets his shot (and remains number 1 in the country in FG%. Yeah, number 1, and not one of those fake "well they've only taken 2 shots" number 1s).

These next two games make me nervous even though they're at home. Though, less so today and more OSU. At least today the place will be full of people futilely hoping RMK is going to show up. OSU? Sleeper team without a good crowd? Oh well, we'll talk about that more then.

I was at the last game when we beat Wisco, great seats too. The atmosphere was incredible. The crowd was going out of their minds the last 10 minutes when we started to take the lead and it was completely electric. If we'd had any prospects there they would have committed on the spot.

But of course, the game became more of a debate about rushing the court and less about the accomplishments of a team who had absolutely no business felling that Wisconsin team for the first time in however long (why is there no winsipedia for college basketball?).

For the record, I did not rush the court, though I did calmly walk onto it after the teams had dispersed and be excited and take my avatar photo. I mean, easy court access after an exciting game? Sure beats waiting outside for my wife to pick me up.

I was at the last game when we beat Wisco, great seats too. The atmosphere was incredible. The crowd was going out of their minds the last 10 minutes when we started to take the lead and it was completely electric. If we'd had any prospects there they would have committed on the spot.

But of course, the game became more of a debate about rushing the court and less about the accomplishments of a team who had absolutely no business felling that Wisconsin team for the first time in however long (why is there no winsipedia for college basketball?).

For the record, I did not rush the court, though I did calmly walk onto it after the teams had dispersed and be excited and take my avatar photo. I mean, easy court access after an exciting game? Sure beats waiting outside for my wife to pick me up.

I rushed for the Wat Shot, and didn't want to for this one, but I was behind the basket and it was a move or die situation. It felt unjustified to me, but in all honesty, any other fanbase in the country would have rushed that court after that game. A struggling team takes down the #3 rival team, who we NEVER beat? I understood, but I legitimately felt uncomfortable rushing the court. Amazing game, always great to be on the floor of Assembly, but weird.

You think people won't come to the OSU game?

It's the last game over Christmas break right? People will come for sure, but there will be far fewer students than usual, so I don't think the Hall will be full. Plus, the crowd will skew much older (and therefore quieter and sit-downier).

The OSU game's attendance will be a significant drop-off because half the crowd is out of town.

It's the last game over Christmas break right? People will come for sure, but there will be far fewer students than usual, so I don't think the Hall will be full. Plus, the crowd will skew much older (and therefore quieter and sit-downier).

The OSU game's attendance will be a significant drop-off because half the crowd is out of town.

Not if I have anything to say about it. My section is gonna love me.

I think it will depend some on tonight's performance but if we play strong tonight no reason we shouldn't put a good crowed up on Sunday as well imo

I rushed for the Wat Shot, and didn't want to for this one, but I was behind the basket and it was a move or die situation. It felt unjustified to me, but in all honesty, any other fanbase in the country would have rushed that court after that game. A struggling team takes down the #3 rival team, who we NEVER beat? I understood, but I legitimately felt uncomfortable rushing the court. Amazing game, always great to be on the floor of Assembly, but weird.

Had we won on a last second shot or in a tight last 20 seconds then it would likely have been different. But, the last 1:30 was Wisco fouling to force FTs. Yeah, it was a close game, but the team who comes from behind in that situation are the ones who get to rush a court, not the ones who hold on.

I mean, I get why people rushed and don't really fault them for it. Just a weird time to choose.

But, when you're behind the basket or otherwise on the floor, all bets are off as long as you're safe. I mean, it might be a lame court rush if no one else joins you, but at least no one is going to get hurt.

I think it will depend some on tonight's performance but if we play strong tonight no reason we shouldn't put a good crowed up on Sunday as well imo

No reason except for students being in a different physical space and being unable to attend. If your flight isn't arriving until 7 pm on Sunday, you aren't going to the game regardless of how well we play tonight. Not even to mention having to buy an additional ticket on top of your package. It's not a slight against the team or anyone, it's the nature of a college basketball game over break. Unless you're highly ranked or they are, you just can't fill up an arena.

Related, anyone driving down from Indy needs to plan for 37 to be a parking lot for all of Sunday.

Indiana leads the series 95-69

Overall series not even close, but UW has won 14 of the last 15 games.  Though I think that had more to do with Bo than anything. 

We should win this one, but not if we continue to have a turnover every 2nd or third trip down the floor, and a completely porous defense.

Should be interesting in my house tonight. My Badger Freshman will be wearing a Badger sweatshirt and his IU candy striped pants!

All right guys, if we can't beat Wisco this year, we literally may never do it.

Let's keep feeding the post and playing a little tighter on defense. I want OG to show them why Bo Ryan was so scared of him that Bo quit. I want everyone making sure TB gets his shot (and remains number 1 in the country in FG%. Yeah, number 1, and not one of those fake "well they've only taken 2 shots" number 1s).

These next two games make me nervous even though they're at home. Though, less so today and more OSU. At least today the place will be full of people futilely hoping RMK is going to show up. OSU? Sleeper team without a good crowd? Oh well, we'll talk about that more then.

Class starts Monday, so I'd say there might be a much better student showing than during the last few games. In my experience, most students intend to return on Saturday.

No reason except for students being in a different physical space and being unable to attend. If your flight isn't arriving until 7 pm on Sunday, you aren't going to the game regardless of how well we play tonight. Not even to mention having to buy an additional ticket on top of your package. It's not a slight against the team or anyone, it's the nature of a college basketball game over break. Unless you're highly ranked or they are, you just can't fill up an arena.

Related, anyone driving down from Indy needs to plan for 37 to be a parking lot for all of Sunday.

There are only some balcony tickets left for Sunday, so the crowd should be fine.

Class starts Monday, so I'd say there might be a much better student showing than during the last few games. In my experience, most students intend to return on Saturday.

This is a silly debate. In my experience most students return on Sunday unless they have early Monday classes.

But, unless someone has some kind of traffic analysis of 37 over the last days of a vacation, we're just all going to be trading anecdotes and speculation. My only point was that traditionally, games over winter break have lower attendance numbers than games during the school year. OSU is a much better team than they're ranked. If we continue to have lower than average attendance numbers, we'll have a less energized crowd. This team feeds off the crowd to an extreme level. The risk of having a less energized crowd for the OSU game makes me nervous.

Until someone is posting pictures in the OSU game thread 5 minutes before the game, there is absolutely no way for us to determine how attendance will be. At best, ticket prices on stubhub might be indicative ($23 balcony, $150 behind the basket). Even then you'd have to know historical prices for these tickets at similar times. Possibly calling the box office and seeing what the best tickets are available. But generally, there's no point in taking over the thread with a debate speculating when students are going to return and if they'll purchase basketball tickets for their first morning back or not. 

I will willingly concede I have absolutely no evidence that is not anecdotal. 

And I mean, in the original message I noted this wasn't an appropriate thread for this conversation, so we're just dragging it further off topic.

This is a silly debate. In my experience most students return on Sunday unless they have early Monday classes.

But, unless someone has some kind of traffic analysis of 37 over the last days of a vacation, we're just all going to be trading anecdotes and speculation. My only point was that traditionally, games over winter break have lower attendance numbers than games during the school year. OSU is a much better team than they're ranked. If we continue to have lower than average attendance numbers, we'll have a less energized crowd. This team feeds off the crowd to an extreme level. The risk of having a less energized crowd for the OSU game makes me nervous.

Until someone is posting pictures in the OSU game thread 5 minutes before the game, there is absolutely no way for us to determine how attendance will be. At best, ticket prices on stubhub might be indicative ($23 balcony, $150 behind the basket). Even then you'd have to know historical prices for these tickets at similar times. Possibly calling the box office and seeing what the best tickets are available. But generally, there's no point in taking over the thread with a debate speculating when students are going to return and if they'll purchase basketball tickets for their first morning back or not.

I will willingly concede I have absolutely no evidence that is not anecdotal.

And I mean, in the original message I noted this wasn't an appropriate thread for this conversation, so we're just dragging it further off topic.

Traffic on 37 was steady today. Not busy. Kilroys isn't bad at all. I would say older crowd based on demo I see.