Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Feathery

New Coach Salary And Criteria...$5 million?

I honestly would not come close to happy if Sean Miller came here. He already turned us down once. Why would he even entertain leaving the Pac12 and free reigns to recruiting the West Coast to come here? I don't want someone to do minimally better than Crean. I want them to win. You put IU in the Pac12 and Crean is looking pretty damn good. That is the type of conference and style of play that would better suit him. Not these grinding games of Big 10.

Honestly not sold on Sean yet myself. No competition in the Pac 12 and have never been sold on any of his Arizona teams as "contenders". Still believe it would be an upgrade to an extent but call me crazy, rather take a chance on Archie.

I've watched my share of Arizona games over the last several years ( one of my kids lives out west ). I've said wtf was that to lots of Sean Miller's in-game coaching. To me, he's a better recruiter than Crean and only a slightly better coach. His record is stronger primarily because he's in the Pac12. Archie is the better coach of the two Miller brothers, imo, but I'm not totally sold on him either right now.

Don't have a problem with Sean Miller, but think about what conference he's been winning those in.

Here is the problem I have with that arguement. If the A-10 and PAC12 don't count, what conference championships do? We aren't poaching from another Big Ten team. The SEC is dominated by UK. The ACC is Duke and UNC, Bennett at Virginia has done well in 2 seasons but isn't doing what Miller is doing back when he was in the Pac12. The Big12 is dominated by Kansas. So if not a guy who wins a lot like Miller, then who? I know Stevens is the guy, but for the sake of the debate who is the guy that has proven it better than Miller?

I've watched my share of Arizona games over the last several years ( one of my kids lives out west ). I've said wtf was that to lots of Sean Miller's in-game coaching. To me, he's a better recruiter than Crean and only a slightly better coach. His record is stronger primarily because he's in the Pac12. Archie is the better coach of the two Miller brothers, imo, but I'm not totally sold on him either right now.

Archie's record in the A10 and Sean's record in the A10 would say otherwise.

His coaching ability is debatable but he is a far superior recruiter to Crean. Pretty much gets what he wants and can assemble a balanced roster year in year out.

And even the fact that his coaching prowess is debatable is an upgrade over Crean. The verdict is in on Crean.

I honestly would not come close to happy if Sean Miller came here. He already turned us down once. Why would he even entertain leaving the Pac12 and free reigns to recruiting the West Coast to come here? I don't want someone to do minimally better than Crean. I want them to win. You put IU in the Pac12 and Crean is looking pretty damn good. That is the type of conference and style of play that would better suit him. Not these grinding games of Big 10.

That's the problem with having literally one guy on our big board that is a can't miss legend. We miss on Stevens and we are rolling the dice. No matter who we bring in. I agree with you on not wanting marginally better results than what Crean's produced. I'd be MUCH more comfortable in having Sean Miller than Tom Crean but anyone other than Stevens scares the crap out of me.

This is what we all fear, if BS says no them we just ride it out with crean and hope he catches lightning in a bottle.

No this isn't what we all fear. What I actually fear is being stuck with Cream for another 5 plus years bc the administration is too gutless to make a move and put the $$$ in place for a top coach. Crean isn't the answer and to keep him bc of fear is settling for mediocrity. Staying with Crean is definitely NOT the answer.

Edit: from what I understood back in the spring there will never be a scenario of Stevens says no and Crean is coach. I believe the insiders were saying Stevens wouldn't even talk to IU about any possible interest bc there wasn't a job opening. So in order to find out about Stevens, Crean has to be gone. So the AD needs a list that starts with Stevens and has quality coaches following.

You have just laid out the situation that existed for LSU football and Miles. They did not let him go, because they thought they could not get the man they wanted.

Except Jimbo told them no before Miles was fired. Stevens won't even talk until there is a opening. Which tells me there could be interest. Even if there isn't any, then there are many many coaches better than Crean. He'll ESPN ecen had a list of 50 coaches that are better than Crean.

Edit: let's be honest Les Miles has won a national title and won over 72% of his games at LSU. Crean isn't even close to that caliber of coach.

Except Jimbo told them no before Miles was fired. Stevens won't even talk until there is a opening. Which tells me there could be interest. Even if there isn't any, then there are many many coaches better than Crean. He'll ESPN ecen had a list of 50 coaches that are better than Crean.

Edit: let's be honest Les Miles has won a national title and won over 72% of his games at LSU. Crean isn't even close to that caliber of coach.

That ESPN list included Richard Pitino. I don't want to put *too* much stock into it.

That ESPN list included Richard Pitino. I don't want to put *too* much stock into it.

I hear ya. I was basically making the point there are many coaches better than Crean. This idea that we have to stay with Crean if we don't fee we can get Stevens is nonsense. I'd argue that staying with Crean does more long term damage than good.

No this isn't what we all fear. What I actually fear is being stuck with Cream for another 5 plus years bc the administration is too gutless to make a move and put the $$$ in place for a top coach. Crean isn't the answer and to keep him bc of fear is settling for mediocrity. Staying with Crean is definitely NOT the answer.

Edit: from what I understood back in the spring there will never be a scenario of Stevens says no and Crean is coach. I believe the insiders were saying Stevens wouldn't even talk to IU about any possible interest bc there wasn't a job opening. So in order to find out about Stevens, Crean has to be gone. So the AD needs a list that starts with Stevens and has quality coaches following.

There were so many rumors floating around last season. It really made it hard for me to believe any of it.

I hear ya. I was basically making the point there are many coaches better than Crean. This idea that we have to stay with Crean if we don't fee we can get Stevens is nonsense. I'd argue that staying with Crean does more long term damage than good.

Yeah I agree with your overall point. Just saying the ESPN list had some head scratchers.

I would be fine with 4.0 to 4.5 with some incentives. He will be making more money than he currently does and also will be getting his wife and kids back home to Indiana. My guess is these numbers would get it done.

As soon as he makes a Final Four then give him the extension and raise that Glass is so good at doing. Not sure how old Brad is but I give him 5-6 mil a year for as many years as he wants. He has gone to the National Championship 1/3 years he has coached in CBB. I would be very happy with 25-30 years of results like that.

What sucks is...It seems like Stevens is our only Saban or Harbaugh option. There's other good hires out there, but alot of fans' eggs are in the Stevens basket and if we don't get him, the divide will still be in the fanbase unless the new guy turns it around quick.

I agree. I think Stevens is the only hire that would please the hardcore Bobby Knight fans.

Totally off the wall thought, but if for some hard-to-imagine circumstance Bill Self was interested in getting back into the B1G, would/should we hire him?

I feel like Bill Self's teams seem to underachieve, especially as of lately. He had Wiggins and Joel Embied (sorry for the misspelling) and unless I'm mistaken they didn't even make it to the sweet 16

I feel like Bill Self's teams seem to underachieve, especially as of lately. He had Wiggins and Joel Embied (sorry for the misspelling) and unless I'm mistaken they didn't even make it to the sweet 16

Embiid was out during the tournament with a foot injury. Dude has 17 million straight conference titles, made multiple final fours , won a national title, and finished runner up. Not to mention his litter in Champaign was coached by an airhead to a runner up finish. Not sure what expectations you have, but I'd do God awful things to attain those results.