Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

topher9595

Offensive Possession Chart: Maryland

We all know how much this team struggles offensively for long periods of time. 

I charted every possession from today's game and compiled it into a spreadsheet and found some takeaways. 

https://medium.com/@ChrisSchutte/indiana-offensive-possession-chart-maryland-gave-the-hoosiers-fits-68cea25d8451

One thing that stuck out to me was how much the starting lineup struggled. The lineup of Devonte, Al, Justin, TJD and Joey has always felt cluttered, and today might make a light go off in Archie's head that a change might be a good thing. 

The only thing to change an Archie line up is injury or leaving the program. 

What are we going to do, start Anderson or Thompson? Neither can catch, pass nor shoot

That’s the problem, we have no balance to our roster and really no depth despite playing 10 guys each game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

What are we going to do, start Anderson or Thompson? Neither can can or shoot

That’s the problem, we have no balance to our roster and really no depth despite playing 10 guys each game

Start Phinisee for one. Then shorten the bench. 

It doesn't really matter who you start. We don't have the pieces we need. We don't have a single shooter on the team, and we don't have a single perimeter player we can give the ball to when we need a bucket. Only three guys on the roster are shooting > 30% from 3 this year. While Green is a good shooter, he's very inconsistent. Maybe he'll go 5-7, maybe he'll go 1-6, or maybe he'll throw up 12 3s. You just never know.

The Brunk/TJD/Smith frontcourt provides you no shooting. But, who do you replace them with? I'm not sure what Archie can do. 

It doesn't really matter who you start. We don't have the pieces we need. We don't have a single shooter on the team, and we don't have a single perimeter player we can give the ball to when we need a bucket. Only three guys on the roster are shooting > 30% from 3 this year. While Green is a good shooter, he's very inconsistent. Maybe he'll go 5-7, maybe he'll go 1-6, or maybe he'll throw up 12 3s. You just never know.

The Brunk/TJD/Smith frontcourt provides you no shooting. But, who do you replace them with? I'm not sure what Archie can do. 

Yeah, he’s gotten himself into a pickle not having a balanced roster that is progressing and meeting obvious needs

What are we going to do, start Anderson or Thompson? Neither can catch, pass nor shoot

Gotta throw something different out there. I’ve said multiple times that the starters should Phinisee, Franklin, Smith, Thompson and TJD. Won’t be great. But can it get much worse?

Gotta throw something different out there. I’ve said multiple times that the starters should Phinisee, Franklin, Smith, Thompson and TJD. Won’t be great. But can it get much worse?

Yes, that replaces Brunk who has been a consistent bright spot for someone that looks like a deer in headlights in Thompson. Thompson has shown zero signs of being ready to contribute in the bigten

Yes, that replaces Brunk who has been a consistent bright spot for someone that looks like a deer in headlights in Thompson. Thompson has shown zero signs of being ready to contribute in the bigten

He might end up playing better with that group as a starter. And it brings in a big off the bench other than Davis.

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Put Phinisee, the only point guard on the roster, in the starting lineup and move Green off the ball or off the bench.  That's one thing you could do, instead of trying to have a couple of guys who aren't points run the offense.

Do something, just don't do nothing.

Our offense seems to be two components: Scoring from right near the bucket (putbacks, layups, 6-foot shots) or taking 3-point shots (which nearly always miss). 

I only recall a couple times yesterday us making a mid-range jumper: Devonte made one from just beyond the FT line and I think I remember Justin making a 10- to 12-footer. There might have been more, but I don't remember. I stopped watching with about 8 minutes left because I was so disgusted. 

Do they not work at all on shooting off the dribble? Or catching and shooting? I've lost count of the number of times Al has driven to the hoop and literally just fling it up there and hope it goes in. He's not even shooting the ball. He might as well be closing his eyes. Can't he drive hard to the bucket, hit the brakes from 10 to 15 feet away and stop and pop? 

And Rob looked really tentative yesterday. He's good at getting to the bucket, but not always good at finishing because of his size. But yesterday, he didn't even do that. Why not -- like I said with Al -- drive hard, stop about 8 or 10 feet away and shoot a short jumper. 

Not only do we suck from the 3-point line; we can't even hit a 15- or 20- footer. And I don't know if it's because of a lack of confidence, but we're really not even looking to shoot any. Heck, if I were coaching against us, I'd just start the five biggest guys and pack in a tight zone. You take TJD and Brunk away and since we can't make anything more than a layup, we might not hit 30 points for the game. 

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Agree. I dont know why people want to spend page after page talking starters with this team. It doesnt matter past TJD.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Agree. I dont know why people want to spend page after page talking starters with this team. It doesnt matter past TJD.

I think Starters are a legit topic. Smith as a 3 worked against the cupcakes. 

Need to shorten the rotation. With Brunk, TJD and Smith as our front court. If one of these guys is a cancer kick them off the team and give minutes to Race 

Guards need to be Franklin, Phinisee, Green, Al  playing 30 minutes a game if one of those guys is a “cancer” kick em off the team and give Damezi the minutes. 

I agree, shorten the rotation. But also make smart substitutions. Archie seems to have a set time when he makes substitutions and follows it without regard to what is happening in the game. Players get yanked just as they get hot and other players remain on the floor even after a series of bone-headed moves. Brunk seemed to be the only player against Maryland who played with any heart.  I wouldn't give any more minutes to Race than he is already getting--he makes a lot of dumb plays.  D'Ron Davis is a good sub for Brunk, imo, and we need his offense more. Franklin has to stop shooting 3s. He has had one (very) good game. Otherwise, his shooting from 3 is awful (20%).  Plus, Franklin has a lot of unforced turnovers. Free throw shooting is embarrassing--only Al Durham is shooting better than 80% (84%). That's a good enough reason to keep Durham on the floor. Phinisee is also a decent free throw shooter (79%) but he seems to be in a daze right now. Green is the only player who is shooting a decent percent from 3-point range (just a shade under 40%), but he as soon as he makes one he starts firing away. I attended the game against Maryland in College Park and the effort was embarrassing.