Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Beilein is a better offensive coach than Crean. Hard to say how much better that IU team would have been with a Beilein at the helm.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Are we discussing the year we swept them?

I think there is a rumor out there about Crean asking then asst coach Calbert to teach how his teams used to attack a zone. Cal worked on this then after presenting it to the team Crean made light of it and said basically well we aren’t going to do that.

Calbert left after that year I believe.

Not sure if true but it is an interesting story

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Was that the year they went to the NC

I think so. Most would have wanted him fired in spite of that run much like Mike Davis with these records.

Michigan Wolverines (Big Ten Conference) (2007–present)

2007–08 Michigan 10–22 5–13 T–9th

2008–09 Michigan 21–14 9–9 T–7th NCAA Division I Round of 32

2009–10 Michigan 15–17 7–11 T–7th

2010–11 Michigan 21–14 9–9 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 32

2011–12 Michigan 24–10 13–5 T–1st NCAA Division I Round of 64

2012–13 Michigan 31–8 12–6 T–4th NCAA Division I Runner-up

2013–14 Michigan 28–9 15–3 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight

2014–15 Michigan 16–16 8–10 9th

2015–16 Michigan 23–13 10–8 8th NCAA Division I Round of 64

2016–17 Michigan 26–12 10–8 T–5th NCAA Division I Sweet 16

2017–18 Michigan 33–8 13–5 T–4th NCAA Division I Runner-up

2018–19 Michigan 22–2 11–2

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think there is a rumor out there about Crean asking then asst coach Calbert to teach how his teams used to attack a zone. Cal worked on this then after presenting it to the team Crean made light of it and said basically well we aren’t going to do that.

As far as I know, Calbert's only role at IU under Crean was director of basketball operations. That's a non-coaching position and I believe if that person coaches, it's allegedly a violation of NCAA rules. 

Although breaking down video and studying video and presenting video might fall into the DBO's province. 

As far as I know, Calbert's only role at IU under Crean was director of basketball operations. That's a non-coaching position and I believe if that person coaches, it's allegedly a violation of NCAA rules. 
Although breaking down video and studying video and presenting video might fall into the DBO's province. 

Agreed I don’t see it as a rumor that is legit for the reasons you listed. I had heard that too from the various boards, but that would be a no no.

25 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Cheaney:  "How many national titles have you won?"

Crean:  "How many Dwyane Wade's did he coach?"

Sorry, really couldn't resist.  Yes, I'm fully aware Cheaney's teams didn't win a title either.

19 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Agreed I don’t see it as a rumor that is legit for the reasons you listed. I had heard that too from the various boards, but that would be a no no.

The way I heard it the videos were not current but Calbert era teams. Would probably be a loophole. But heard this from somebody that is very trusted. I’m as skeptical as anybody but I believe this happened. 

The way I heard it the videos were not current but Calbert era teams. Would probably be a loophole. But heard this from somebody that is very trusted. I’m as skeptical as anybody but I believe this happened. 

IMG_1490.thumb.jpg.8dcfc1d32831d3641255962faed89654.jpgI had this saved when this came up prior. According to the NCAA rules they can’t do any instruction.

Edit: The image didn’t come across clean. Let me send the link.

http:// http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc/genrel/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/14_15_DirOps_Agreement.pdf

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

IMG_1490.jpgI had this saved when this came up prior. According to the NCAA rules they can’t do any instruction.

But I don’t think he was instructing per se. from what I was told he was asked to analyze how Knight did it. Grey area I would say. 

What you fail to acknowledge is we weren’t playing our best ball at the end of the season. Let alone we were wore down from his practicing techniques which tells me he didn’t have the pulse of the team. Losing one game no matter how you justify it to yourself is no reason to fire a coach. It may open your eyes if you hadn’t noticed the stretch but no you do not fire a coach on one game.

Yup. A team that finished the season 29-7, lost 4 of those in the final month of the season. And don’t down play the BTT loss folks. That was an @$$ whoopin. I was there to see it. They went into the NCAA tournament trending down. On February 27th they were ranked #1, and a shoe in for the overall #1 seed. Two weeks later, they had lost 3 of the final 6 including an un-ranked Minny and the aforementioned whoopin to Wisky. Lost the number 1 ranking and barely retained the final 1 seed. Many said they did not deserve it at the time.

Yup. A team that finished the season 29-7, lost 4 of those in the final month of the season. And don’t down play the BTT loss folks. That was an @$$ whoopin. I was there to see it. They went into the NCAA tournament trending down. On February 27th they were ranked #1, and a shoe in for the overall #1 seed. Two weeks later, they had lost 3 of the final 6 including an un-ranked Minny and the aforementioned whoopin to Wisky. Lost the number 1 ranking and barely retained the final 1 seed. Many said they did not deserve it at the time.

They were the 3rd overall number 1 seed that year. Zags was the last 1 seed

I agree. After that win at MSU, and a great road win that was, the team struggled every game. Losses to teams we should not have lost to and the wins were unimpressive (remember Temple). It goes way beyond Syracuse but that Syracuse game topped off a terrible month or so of basketball.

They were the 3rd overall number 1 seed that year. Zags was the last 1 seed

You sure? I mean, I believe you and all. I just don’t remember it that way. Still though, I saw the Cuse loss coming. They were way long up front. We were way short.