Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Arkansas - 11/18 @ 3:30 ET

14 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

It's a losing proposition to have to be 10 points better on the road in order to win road games.  I'm just tired of the state of college officiating.....and I get that we get the same home cooking at Assembly Hall.  Just tired of venue determining outcome.

Agree

I realize they mean essentially nothing, but Marquette win/Arkansas loss basically as wash this week as we are still the second team out side of rankings in ‘others receiving votes’ in AP poll. Not sure how many votes we had last year (if it really matters), but was interested to see how loss affected the overall perception of the team/early season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

I realize they mean essentially nothing, but Marquette win/Arkansas loss basically as wash this week as we are still the second team out side of rankings in ‘others receiving votes’ in AP poll. Not sure how many votes we had last year (if it really matters), but was interested to see how loss affected the overall perception of the team/early season

Went from 131 points (23 away from #25) last week to 74 points this week (76 away from #25). So it isn't a good thing... 3 teams fell and we didn't get to move in.... instead 3 other BIG teams jumped in ahead of us and Nebraska jumped us to the first out!

Combine that with Maryland being the 3rd out and the BIG has 9 teams in the Top 28.

And hey at least Arkansas got 1 vote for 25th after beating us...

Went from 131 points (23 away from #25) last week to 74 points this week (76 away from #25). So it isn't a good thing... 3 teams fell and we didn't get to move in.... instead 3 other BIG teams jumped in ahead of us and Nebraska jumped us to the first out!
Combine that with Maryland being the 3rd out and the BIG has 9 teams in the Top 28.
And hey at least Arkansas got 1 vote for 25th after beating us...

I pay little attention to rankings but I understand your reasoning on how it did ‘hurt’ us. Just commenting on the ‘ranking’ remaining basically the same as some on here called this a ‘bad loss’.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

I pay little attention to rankings but I understand your reasoning on how it did ‘hurt’ us. Just commenting on the ‘ranking’ remaining basically the same as some on here called this a ‘bad loss’.

Ahh gotcha, I thought you were just asking how it affected us, so was trying to give details.

This early rankings are fluid, but I definitely think it is in the best interest of the program to be Ranked as often and as High as possible. It helps with fans, boosters, recruits, media coverage, etc.

We gave away a prime opportunity and with the upcoming Duke game we may have a bit before we can recover and get in. BUT I wouldn't consider this a BAD LOSS in the grand scheme of the year.

Total wash. Butler and Louisville are must wins when you schedule a brutal non conference. Duke is a loss so that will put us at 5-2.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Assuming we win all the cupcakes, wouldn’t that make us 9-2, though?

5-2 after the duke game. I know playing duke is great for tv ratings but it would nice to actually get a team we could beat for once. We get duke or North Carolina every year

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

That last foul on Davis was ridiculous. Ridiculous that a game was decided by that. I’d say the same thing if it benefited IU

Deron has to know the score and situation better.  When it was clear the Arkansas player secured the rebound, he has to stop reaching and realize they have 2 seconds to go 80 feet.  Maybe it was a tic tac call, but you have to be smarter in that situation.  Just a very poor decision on his part.  Luckily, it's a great learning opportunity for the team.

Didn't see if this was discussed, but Archie made a significant tactical mistake by calling his last timeout between the 2 free throws.  That allowed Arkansas to intentionally miss the second free throw and force us into a full court heave situation.  You have to save the timeout so if he misses, we can call the timeout on the rebound and at least have a chance to set up an out of bounds play to go the length of the court.  Unlike our last coach, I think Archie will realize the mistake and learn from it.

29 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Didn't see if this was discussed, but Archie made a significant tactical mistake by calling his last timeout between the 2 free throws.  That allowed Arkansas to intentionally miss the second free throw and force us into a full court heave situation.  You have to save the timeout so if he misses, we can call the timeout on the rebound and at least have a chance to set up an out of bounds play to go the length of the court.  Unlike our last coach, I think Archie will realize the mistake and learn from it.

To be fair, our last coach would've still had 3 timeouts to use.

3 hours ago, moyemayhem said:

You could see him wavering on it.   Whether to call it or not.  I'd have saved it too; but if the ball comes off long or deep and gets tipped and you don't grab it cleanly, you never get the timeout.  Tough call either way and I don't necessarily blame him.  Indiana lost that game for many reasons.  This really isn't one of them.