Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

But no Final Fours with arguably better recruiting classes than Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Completely agree but I would trade their success for ours under Crean. Better to recruit better and have a consistent top tier team than to recruit inconsistently and top out at an occasional sweet 16.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Completely agree but I would trade their success for ours under Crean. Better to recruit better and have a consistent top tier team than to recruit inconsistently and top out at an occasional sweet 16.

When was the last time they missed the Dance?

When was the last time they missed the Dance?

Exactly. That is kind of success Crean needs to have in order to eventually win a championship. Guys that regularly bring teams capable of winning can eventually break through. Sporadic appearances won't get it done.

2012. They missed in 2010 as well. Twice in 8 years. I hope we expect more.

Good catch on 2010, missed that one. I think I also read that they never missed a tournament under Lute Olsen. I'm not sure what Arizona's expectations are but I don't think Sean lives up to Indiana's

Good catch on 2010, missed that one. I think I also read that they never missed a tournament under Lute Olsen. I'm not sure what Arizona's expectations are but I don't think Sean lives up to Indiana's

Yeah and they made the tournament many times before 2010, so I am sure the talent wasn't bad enough to they miss the tournament if was a good coach. Top 10 recruiter for sure, but Crean has done more in the tournament. Let that sink in.

I should add he had one top 40 ranking, and the rest were right at 10 or most top 5. He isn't going to improve on that. He is a great recruiter, but you see his ceiling. You can't really say if he came here he would get XXXX player and win. He hasn't done it year in and year out with that talent. I would rather swing at a Holtman and see if he could recruit well enough to win with the financial backing IU could provide. You can improve recruiting at a place like IU. You can't improve coach with that many years of data showing who you are. Crean has proved that.

I fear the injuries to Morgan and OG will save Crean's job (again)... sigh...

That was my first thought after wishing OG well. It is very sad. The only reason we didn't miss JBJ last year is we had Yogi and Max along with Z that could pick up the scoring. This injury is different, we have no guys that can pick up his defense. We may have a more fluid offense I guess.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

That was my first thought after wishing OG well. It is very sad. The only reason we didn't miss JBJ last year is we had Yogi and Max along with Z that could pick up the scoring. This injury is different, we have no guys that can pick up his defense. We may have a more fluid offense I guess.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Morgan has been starting over og. He will have to play 30 plus a game now but its doable

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

He was recruiting players last summer without being under contract for their senior year. I guess I don't see why it'd be necessary now but it wasn't then. 

if you mean juniors and sophomores, yes. But honestly, at this point I think any extension (either last spring or this coming spring) would essentially be symbolic anyway. Crean's been at IU long enough for Glass, recruits, boosters, and fans to know what he is as a coach. I personally don't think an extension will help him recruit or remove any of his deficiencies as a coach, but I fear Glass does think that way.

I understand that one post won't likely change any opinions, but before discrediting Sean Miller take a look at the situation he inherited at Arizona. There was a lot of talk about NCAA infractions and kids leaving the program when Lute left. So. E in the media thought it was going to be similar to what happen to IU. Of course it ended up not being as bad, but Sean had to build the program up (again admittedly not as bad as the IU situation). Also, look at his success at Xavier. That's a decent program, but people think of it as a decent program in large part because of what Sean accomplished. Thad was only there for one year. It's not like Xavier is known for Final Fours. Sean hasn't been at Arizona a long time. He already has two Elite Eights. He has conference titles and conference tournament titles. Not every year he's been at Arizona has been a down year for the conference. Look at what he's accomplishing this year with a seriously young roster (A truly young roster. Not a made up Crean young roster.). A lot of coaches, ADs, and others closely associated with college basketball respect him. He's a USA team coach because of the respect people in the game have for him. If Sean came to IU, fans would see a level of success they haven't had on a consistent basis in about 20 years. 

Before you bash him, look into his whole profile. You'll be pleasantly surprised. 

With the involvement with PGs, anyone else get the feeling that CuJo or Green are gonna get Creaned?

I think Hartman, Blackmon, Bryant, OG. Likely Priller. Small potential for Gelon.

I don't think we are at risk of losing DG or Cjuo.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Newkirk was done.

Hoping Hartman or TB return. If we get to 5 ships, it's the 5 I listed above.

Next year projections are scary.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

hard for me to see any reason (maybe more money?) for Sean Miller to leave UA for Indiana, given how he's recruiting out there. I've heard Archie might be waiting on Matta to retire so he can become tOSU's head coach, but of course that's just speculation at this point.

Nothing against Mack or Holtmann, but in all honesty their resumes are about what Crean's was at Marquette. I want a "sure thing" if and when Crean's replaced, and I don't know if any of the guys who fit that description would actually be available. Glass may have to stick with Crean and continue to insist that IU's (somehow) still "elite" or just roll the dice with Holtmann, Mack or Archie Miller (if he's still at Dayton by then). Or maybe Jacobson would get a look; not sure what I think about him.

Yeah and they made the tournament many times before 2010, so I am sure the talent wasn't bad enough to they miss the tournament if was a good coach. Top 10 recruiter for sure, but Crean has done more in the tournament. Let that sink in.

I'm not saying Miller is head and shoulders above Crean but he has more tourney wins, better tourney win %, and a conference tourney title.

Miller has been at Arizona about the same amount of time Crean has been at IU. I don't think any Zona fans would trade their success for IU's in that time period.

22 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Wow; thought I'd get way more pushback with "The Nored Theory."

BGleas, Pap, and OldFriend...what say you?

Wrong Pap, but I'll chime in.  I say why not?  I have been on the Crean side for a while, but slowly losing faith.  Per others, he does good things, but the bad are starting to just wear me down.  Young, fresh blood?  I'm down.