Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Creaning or something. I dont' know.

Jeremiah April.

People can leave on their own accord... lack of playing time is pretty important. Not saying Crean didn't tell anyone they no longer have a scholarship, but I think there would be more publicity if there were a bunch of disgruntled individuals losing schollys.

People can leave on their own accord... lack of playing time is pretty important. Not saying Crean didn't tell anyone they no longer have a scholarship, but I think there would be more publicity if there were a bunch of disgruntled individuals losing schollys.

Mhmmmmm....

i agree on all of them except Robinson. He was at least a top 60 guy when they were recruiting him. Now his game later on translated to crap but I had at least heard of him when he signed and I didn't have to use google to look him up like the other ones on your list

I don't think we needed to go to Maryland to get a 6'3" kid like him.   Even with what he had.  Just my opinion..nothing more.  It's the one thing I still wish Crean would change.  

There are literally dozens of really good 6'3" guards within 150 miles of Bloomington every year, and none have to change shooting hands during their college career..  I just don't like that Crean spends $680K on recruiting when Wisconsin spends $60k and Michigan State spends $120K because they don't focus their attention on the whole country and especially the east coast.  I completely get going after a kid like Bryant and have no problem with it.  But it's the 3* kids...why?   We have one in next year's recruiting class ranked 169th.   Why do we need to go to the east coast to get that kid?   I don't care who his brother is.

There are incredible players in Logansport, McCutcheon, (there are 3 GREAT players at those schools right now), and obviously Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Chicago, Evansville, etc.  Why go to Maryland?   Why go to New York?   I don't follow everything like I used to, and there may be a very legitimate reason; but I have always believed the closer you stay to home, the better chemistry you'll build on a consistent basis because the kids all know each other; and they also have a better understanding of whatever culture they're getting into.   Again..my opinion.

I don't think we needed to go to Maryland to get a 6'3" kid like him. Even with what he had. Just my opinion..nothing more. It's the one thing I still wish Crean would change.

There are literally dozens of really good 6'3" guards within 150 miles of Bloomington every year, and none have to change shooting hands during their college career.. I just don't like that Crean spends $680K on recruiting when Wisconsin spends $60k and Michigan State spends $120K because they don't focus their attention on the whole country and especially the east coast. I completely get going after a kid like Bryant and have no problem with it. But it's the 3* kids...why? We have one in next year's recruiting class ranked 169th. Why do we need to go to the east coast to get that kid?

There are incredible players in Logansport, McCutcheon, (there are 3 GREAT players at those schools right now), and obviously Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Chicago, Evansville, etc. Why go to Maryland? I don't follow everything like I used to, and there may be a very legitimate reason; but I have always believed the closer you stay to home, the better chemistry you'll build on a consistent basis because the kids all know each other; and they also have a better understanding of whatever culture they're getting into. Again..my opinion.

yeah I'm just saying Robinson was a top 60 4 star guy and the others you listed in were not even close to that. I had no problem with them recruiting him at the time because he played for a high school powerhouse in Nevada and had other high major teams interested. But he turned out to be a flop like holowell, Austin, hanner, and the others you mentioned. I have no problem focusing in the Midwest as long as they sprinkle in recruites from other areas. There are talented kids everywhere 5 star 4 star 3 star no star the good programs find them and develope them

Sadly, he's nowhere near as good as Tijan Jobe. I want to go back to the Hoosier Nation thread where some guys were trying to convince people he was a "steal" from down there. There were lots of arguments back and forth. I will never understand Jeremiah April. Tim Priller. Guy-Marc Michele. Peter Jurkin. Stanford Robinson. I simply do not understand the need to go get warm bodies from all parts of the country. We spent 10x what Wisconsin did on recruiting last year, and for the last several, much of it to get guys like this, and it makes no sense.

I don't like grouping Guy-Marc Michele in there, he was never eligible, but the little we got to see if him, he seemed to have potential.

I don't like grouping Guy-Marc Michele in there, he was never eligible, but the little we got to see if him, he seemed to have potential.

Every big kid "seems to have potential."   We heard the exact same word - "potential" about Bawa Muniru, Mike White, Ben Allen, Tijan Jobe, Priller, etc.  On and on and on and on.  Michele started playing basketball at 16.  He had zero instinct; and would have been awful in the Big Ten.   Nobody will ever convince me that a kid who doesn't have basketball IQ, instinct, and specific court awareness will ever succeed in college at a high level because every player around him DOES have instinct and is far more experienced.  His JUCO numbers were very mediocre.   I saw a tall guy with some athletic ability.  We've seen that movie before.  Might as well be called "Groundhog Day."   I am very tired of projects from all corners who have "potential.'  Give me guys who can play...who have played.  Bryant.  Zeller.  Etc.  Every time Indiana signs a kid nobody's heard of, we see some guys pouring on the BS about "diamond in the rough," etc.  Crean doesn't need to out think the room, and his track record with big men is awful.  Go get good players, and stay away from projects from Northern Idaho.

Every big kid "seems to have potential." We heard the exact same word - "potential" about Bawa Muniru, Mike White, Ben Allen, Tijan Jobe, Priller, etc. On and on and on and on. Michele started playing basketball at 16. He had zero instinct; and would have been awful in the Big Ten. Nobody will ever convince me that a kid who doesn't have basketball IQ, instinct, and specific court awareness will ever succeed in college at a high level because every player around him DOES have instinct and is far more experienced. His JUCO numbers were very mediocre. I saw a tall guy with some athletic ability. We've seen that movie before. Might as well be called "Groundhog Day." I am very tired of projects from all corners who have "potential.' Give me guys who can play...who have played. Bryant. Zeller. Etc. Every time Indiana signs a kid nobody's heard of, we see some guys pouring on the BS about "diamond in the rough," etc. Crean doesn't need to out think the room, and his track record with big men is awful. Go get good players, and stay away from projects from Northern Idaho.

Okay pulling numbers from any JUCO means nothing there's a reason it's called potential it has to be grown, and I'm sure Tom Crean and Co. are going to be able to build a player more then a JUCO. And just in the little time at Hoosier Hysteria it was obvious Michele had more "Instinct" then Muniru and Jobe combined. Now he might have turned out to be a bust, but we don't know. You can act like you do, but he's not like the others mentioned.

I agree.

Prillers only offer was from Incarnate World. He put up great numbers in Texas. Could shoot and score, but not all high scoring/efficient high school players can translate their game to D1.

I don't hate Priller. He's living the dream. Good for him.

However, if it comes a time this summer/spring where we have a chance to get a better guard/wing, then I think Priller should hand over the scholarship.

Just my opinion.

You realize that Crean can't just revoke his scholarship, right? That's not at all how it works. I know things have a way of "working themselves out", but he can't just yank his free ride.

Also, you seriously think Priller is just going to hand over his scholly and pay out of state tuition?

I don't think we needed to go to Maryland to get a 6'3" kid like him. Even with what he had. Just my opinion..nothing more. It's the one thing I still wish Crean would change.

There are literally dozens of really good 6'3" guards within 150 miles of Bloomington every year, and none have to change shooting hands during their college career.. I just don't like that Crean spends $680K on recruiting when Wisconsin spends $60k and Michigan State spends $120K because they don't focus their attention on the whole country and especially the east coast. I completely get going after a kid like Bryant and have no problem with it. But it's the 3* kids...why? We have one in next year's recruiting class ranked 169th. Why do we need to go to the east coast to get that kid? I don't care who his brother is.

There are incredible players in Logansport, McCutcheon, (there are 3 GREAT players at those schools right now), and obviously Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Chicago, Evansville, etc. Why go to Maryland? Why go to New York? I don't follow everything like I used to, and there may be a very legitimate reason; but I have always believed the closer you stay to home, the better chemistry you'll build on a consistent basis because the kids all know each other; and they also have a better understanding of whatever culture they're getting into. Again..my opinion.

Yeah what's up with that Will Sheehey and Victor Oladipo and OG...

Who needs them?

Didn't they offer Priller out of desperation because they didn't land a big? I forget the story.
He reminds me of a Tijan Jobe.

And he doesn't have to leave the team. He can be the new manager or walk on.

And pay $30,000+?

April is the hardest to tell of all of them in my opinion. Did we bump his thread? He has like 5 threads actually, I'll bump them tonight, I think I have them open.

His tape and limited minutes showed he had ability, he had been playing for a fair amount of time, and he had some real schools sniffing after him, not just us. But, he hung out in the walking boot of doom for awhile, then we kept hearing about how he was not meeting expectations in practice, then he was gone. Word on the street is he just took a visit to somewhere legit too.

I have trouble believing he was Creaned just for his scholarship because he wasn't good enough. If so, we wouldn't have Priller still. I think there was a personality clash that made him never be a good fit which combined with not having PT to make it so he didn't stick around. I still think we'll see him play in the Tourney before his eligibility runs out (unless he quit basketball entirely).

That's the problem with having this argument about "potential" now anyway. It's one thing with graduated players, but kids with another 2-3 years of eligibility left are a different story. Look at the developmental changes Z3 or Maximus made with the latter half of their eligibility. I don't think it's unreasonable to think one of the transfers with potential will do the same wherever they end up.

You realize that Crean can't just revoke his scholarship, right? That's not at all how it works. I know things have a way of "working themselves out", but he can't just yank his free ride.

Also, you seriously think Priller is just going to hand over his scholly and pay out of state tuition?

Thousands of Kids pay out of station tuition, calm down

And obviously Crean isn't going to tell Priller to get out, what do you think Crean told April?

Why do you think April turned down a full ride at a D1 school to play at some junior college?

Come on now.. This stuff gets around campus quickly. Especially if you hang out with the actual players like I have....

I'm assuming this means you don't have a valid rebuttal to my logic opposition to your belief that Crean is pulling scholarships from players.

I don't want it get Banned

Edit: all of this because I asked if he might get the can this summer. I think we all need to calm down and focus on the dance. lol

Thousands of Kids pay out of station tuition, calm down

And obviously Crean isn't going to tell Priller to get out, what do you think Crean told April?

Why do you think April turned down a full ride at a D1 school to play at some junior college?

Come on now.. This stuff gets around campus quickly. Especially if you hang out with the actual players like I have....

Those thousands of kids paying out of state tuition don't come here knowing that they will be paying that amount of money and choosing to do so. Tim Priller came here under a basketball scholarship. It is not right to now tell him he has to pay $50,000 per year to stay here. I have no idea what Tim's financial situation is but >95% of Americans cannot afford that

Okay pulling numbers from any JUCO means nothing there's a reason it's called potential it has to be grown, and I'm sure Tom Crean and Co. are going to be able to build a player more then a JUCO. And just in the little time at Hoosier Hysteria it was obvious Michele had more "Instinct" then Muniru and Jobe combined. Now he might have turned out to be a bust, but we don't know. You can act like you do, but he's not like the others mentioned.

Right.  Guy-Marc Michele was going to be the one exception.   Gosh, you're right.  I don't know how I missed that.   I don't know you and don't mean to offend you but the pollyanna ignorance of that thought process is just funny.  I don't know what else to say.  You're right.  A kid who's been playing basketball for 3 years (some of it in Europe where the training isn't exactly what they'd get here) and went to Northern Idaho, putting up very pedestrian numbers while there was going to be THE one exception in a long line of failures.   My goodness....naive doesn't begin to cover it, and you have been stalking and disagreeing with me long enough for me to just tell you I think this thought process is just that.  Ignorant and naive.  

Yes...I do know.  Based on experience, I absolutely know.  Without a doubt, I know.  What's he done since, by the way? Did he blow up anywhere?   No...he's averaged 8 points a game on a bad team in Greece that would get slaughtered by any team in the NBA D-League

Did you seriously base any judgement of a player based on Hoosier Hysteria??    My God.

Right. Guy-Marc Michele was going to be the one exception. Gosh, you're right. I don't know how I missed that. I don't know you and don't mean to offend you but the pollyanna ignorance of that thought process is just funny. I don't know what else to say. You're right. A kid who's been playing basketball for 3 years (some of it in Europe where the training isn't exactly what they'd get here) and went to Northern Idaho, putting up very pedestrian numbers while there was going to be THE one exception in a long line of failures. My goodness....naive doesn't begin to cover it, and you have been stalking and disagreeing with me long enough for me to just tell you I think this thought process is just that. Ignorant and naive.

Yes...I do know. Based on experience, I absolutely know. Without a doubt, I know. What's he done since, by the way? Did he blow up anywhere? No...he's averaged 8 points a game on a bad team in Greece that would get slaughtered by any team in the NBA D-League

Did you seriously base any judgement of a player based on Hoosier Hysteria?? My God.

unnecessarily over the top, to say the least.

Yeah what's up with that Will Sheehey and Victor Oladipo and OG...

Who needs them?

Sigh.....I love posts like this.    Cherry picking is awfully easy.   Not that I need to, but I'll bite.  Even though this is not at all relevant to the point.

OG is from St. Louis.  3 1/2 hours from Bloomington; a drive.  And he played AAU ball with a midwestern team, and was local all the time.  Not what I'm talking about.  

Sheehey on his own was nothing we needed to go to Florida for.  We could have found plenty of kids to play the role he played on the good teams he was on.    Just some facts and data based on them : As a senior, he averaged just 11 points a game on a team that went 17-15, finished 8th in the Big Ten and missed the post season.  He had an assist/TO ratio less than 1:1 that season and for his career.  He didn't shoot 70% from the FT line.  He was a poor outside shooter, averaging < 33% from the 3 point line for his career.  He was made far better by his team mates, and any argument against that isn't being honest.   Loved Sheehey's intensity, but he was a role player on a fantastic team.  You think we had to go to Florida to find that?

Oladipo is an exception to the rule.  And every rule has exceptions.

I know I mentioned Robinson, but the real point in this particular discussion is big men.