Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

weaverswonders6

Travel Thread

Any Bostonians? Headed to Nahant, MA tomorrow (about 12 miles outside of Boston) for 8 days.  Anyone have any under the radar restaurants or sights? No problem to travel about 2 hours for it!

58 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Any Bostonians? Headed to Nahant, MA tomorrow (about 12 miles outside of Boston) for 8 days.  Anyone have any under the radar restaurants or sights? No problem to travel about 2 hours for it!

Love Nahant! One of those best kept secret island suburbs.

Boston is my second home. My 22 year old is a tour guide in the City and we still have a little place there.

Avoid Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market— 100% tourists. Also Harvard Square is not that special. Get onto the Esplanade—hopefully for a concert at the Hatch Shell. Take a day hiking in the White Mountains. North End is still historic and outstanding—Old North Church, pasta at La Famila Georgio (for red sauce) or Prezza (for fancy). Cannolis at Bova—no need to wait an hour for Mike’s. Pho Pasteur in Chinatown for Vietnamese still rocks. Walk through the Common and Public Gardens and back through Beacon Hill. Charlestown and the USS Constitution—lunch at the Warren Tavern. Walk Newbury Street. Jazz at Wally’s in the South End. Cocktails at the Oak Room at the Copley Sq Fairmont.

So much to see and do—that’s just a tiny start.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Boston is my second home. My 22 year old is a tour guide in the City and we still have a little place there.

Avoid Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market— 100% tourists. Also Harvard Square is not that special. Get onto the Esplanade—hopefully for a concert at the Hatch Shell. Take a day hiking in the White Mountains. North End is still historic and outstanding—Old North Church, pasta at La Famila Georgio (for red sauce) or Prezza (for fancy). Cannolis at Bova—no need to wait an hour for Mike’s. Pho Pasteur in Chinatown for Vietnamese still rocks. Walk through the Common and Public Gardens and back through Beacon Hill. Charlestown and the USS Constitution—lunch at the Warren Tavern. Walk Newbury Street. Jazz at Wally’s in the South End. Cocktails at the Oak Room at the Copley Sq Fairmont.

THANK YOU!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I've been to Boston, but it was pretty much doing touristy stuff (but still enjoyed it immensely!!!). I found the people of Boston to be among my favorite city people :)  Our house is about 5 walking minutes from Tides Restaurant, I imagine I'll find a bourbon I like lol

On 5/23/2024 at 9:14 AM, Stuhoo said:

You, my friend, are spot on here! Warren Taven was absolutely outstanding! We did a taste test of Modern Bakery, Mike’s, and Bova- Bova was our favorite!!!  We were whale watching and one of the crew came up and saw my IU hat. Turns out, he played ball w Marshall Strickland! We’ve had several Hoosier encounters

IMG_2018.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpeg

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

You, my friend, are spot on here! Warren Taven was absolutely outstanding! We did a taste test of Modern Bakery, Mike’s, and Bova- Bova was our favorite!!!  We were whale watching and one of the crew came up and saw my IU hat. Turns out, he played ball w Marshall Strickland! We’ve had several Hoosier encounters

IMG_2018.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpeg

Super cool! If you’re back in the North End—the Stuhoo family has a place on Sheafe Street. Really excellent city basketball court at the end of that street with entry through the dog park or main entry on Prince Street. That’s my summer place for about three weeks starting in mid July.

It’s a great city. If I can get you to do one more thing from that recommendation list- see if there’s a concert on the Hatch Shell and bring a couple of lawn chairs. The best place to spend a summer night I’ve ever seen.

Wife and I took an overlanding trip up the dreaded "Dalton Highway" this past weekend. 500 miles of pure hell as the jeep made it's way through mud, snow, canyon-sized potholes, jagged rocks and mosquitos. We arrived at Deadhorse, AK and spent the night on the "SAG" River where we slept in our roof top tent in 21 degrees with blowing winds upwards 30 knts. Needless to say it was quite an adventure, finally having stepped on (not into) the Arctic Ocean that was still completely frozen. We saw tons of Muskox and Caribou as well as millions of migratory birds. No polar bears, unfortunately.20240524_151145.thumb.jpg.83e43f4cd7b578d8594fafd79fc4ee3a.jpg20240524_154028.thumb.jpg.35b380de54cff01aed158798b8b3c5ae.jpg20240525_104958.thumb.jpg.617eaf379bdb2aa4578b71ca57fdff2c.jpg20240524_200438.thumb.jpg.ee37764d4b13e6d6445980de6c7b5677.jpg20240524_200503.thumb.jpg.75614bad2df96f50ab9f7e0fbd033c4e.jpg

1 hour ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

500 miles of pure hell as the jeep made it's way through mud, snow, canyon-sized potholes, jagged rocks and mosquitos. We arrived at Deadhorse, AK and spent the night on the "SAG" River where we slept in our roof top tent in 21 degrees with blowing winds upwards 30 knts. 

Let me guess, you work for the Alaska State Dept of Tourism? 

This thread is relevant to my interests because: A) I was in Alaska last year at this time, it's fantastic!  Even met Alaska Hoosier in person. He and the Mrs are lovely people. And trust me, he looks better in person (and smells incredible too!). 

B) Taking a family trip to New England this year, flying into Boston on Friday. Gonna take some of Stuhoo's suggestions. 

3 hours ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

Not at all. 

1) Hardwood needs to stop smelling Alaska.

2) Alaska is gushing about sleeping on cold metal car roofs while @mamasa has a cannoli eating tour and Irish pub crawl in 70 degree, sunny weather. I’m with mamasa.

3) Me? I’m currently on a very nice cruise ship in the Caribbean with the premier drink package, which is being utilized as I speak. Discovered that Remy Martin XO is one fiiiine sipper.