Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierPT

I want Tom Crean to stay

All I did was post his actual results at Marquette and say it's not good, and it's not that good.

He's displayed "nearly every ability necessary here"? Huh? Since when? He hasn't shown much ability to make in game adjustments, and it's cost us several times. He hasn't shown an ability to adapt his system to fit his personnel, well, period. The team is usually playing it's worst going into March, a time when it needs to be playing it's best; actually we've only seen the team playing it's best going into March once, and teams wearing out down the stretch was one complaint Marquette fans had.

He's been a head coach 16 years, and he's been wildly mediocre. Going into his peak? At this point in their careers all the unarguably great coaches accomplished far more than Crean and it's not close, and one of them had to literally build the program from scratch. People say Cal isn't a good coach, that he just rides his talent, and even he has been more successful than Crean at the same point in their careers.

Izzo said good things to the media; hold up, stop the presses. His friend said good things about him to the media. Wow, astonishing. Oh wait, that's exactly what I would expect and how often do you hear of coaches speak badly about another coach? Doesn't happen often.

Mike Davis got McDonald's All-Americans to walk through the door too, and he will never be confused for a good coach. The name Indiana will recruit itself, at least to an extent. Don't fool yourself, while even I'll call Crean a good (but not great) recruiter it's not all him, the brand is helping.

Missing the point re: Izzo. It's not what he said, it's how he said it. I'm sure you believe he's lying, but he almost came unglued. Feel free to dismiss that, and I'm not trying to act like it's some big deal, but that speaks to me. It isn't just Izzo either. Much of the negative crowd loves them some Dan Dakich, and even Dan believes Crean is good for IU.

Missing the point re: Izzo. It's not what he said, it's how he said it. I'm sure you believe he's lying, but he almost came unglued. Feel free to dismiss that, and I'm not trying to act like it's some big deal, but that speaks to me. It isn't just Izzo either. Much of the negative crowd loves them some Dan Dakich, and even Dan believes Crean is good for IU.

I would still expect Izzo to stick up for Crean, it's his friend and a fellow coach.

Dakich has lambasted Crean on more than one occasion.  He does talk about both sides of his mouth, but he's discussed why on his show as someone has posted on this board before.

EDIT:  Believe Izzo is lying?  Not really.  I imagine Izzo really believes what he said, but that doesn't make him right.  I could believe that I'll wake up in the middle of a heavenly sandwich of Emma Watson and Alex Morgan, and still be wrong.  The better part of 20 years saying Crean is a wildly mediocre coach despite what his friend says/believes tells me him taking IU to the level we should expect is about as likely as me waking up in said heavenly sandwich.

That is my fear, administration giving in to fan frustration. Chasing the next shiny object in an effort to hold waning attention.

You mean an Indiana high school coach wouldn't be an improvement over the current coach? News to me.

Brad Stevens saying that means absolutely nothing.

I agree that his public statements mean zero.

Now, private statements are another matter entirely. Everyone has their story, but it is fairly obvious that he isn't interested. He wouldn't have left Butler if the NBA wasn't what he wanted. That was a very calculated move. Does he seem like the type that wants savior status? Imo, that's a resounding no.

I agree that his public statements mean zero.

Now, private statements are another matter entirely. Everyone has their story, but it is fairly obvious that he isn't interested. He wouldn't have left Butler if the NBA wasn't what he wanted. That was a very calculated move. Does he seem like the type that wants savior status? Imo, that's a resounding no.

I agree and we have no idea what he's saying in private. That's why it bugs me when people take some comment said to a reporter in that situation as gospel. It means nothing and he would be an idiot to come out and say "yep I'm looking to get out of Boston asap."

For what its worth I think we will unfortunetly have Crean for another year. I'm not trying to say Stevens is coming but its crazy to take comments like that serious.

What has he done lately?

Things that haven't been done at Indiana since Indiana was a power.

On a small scale, on a daily basis he is a great ambassador for Indiana basketball. He's bringing IU into the 21st century.

I know, I know. You only care about banners.

Things that haven't been done at Indiana since Indiana was a power.

On a small scale, on a daily basis he is a great ambassador for Indiana basketball. He's bringing IU into the 21st century.

I know, I know. You only care about banners.

I can see only sweet sixteen banner in CTC past, present, and future at IU.