Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

By the way - posts about Miller's involvement are fine - he's a very good college basketball player and this is an impactful college basketball story.

Some of our other legal experts can chime in, but from my perspective, if the NCAA or Bama suspends a kid when they have no knowledge that he's done anything wrong from a legal/team/NCAA rules standpoint, they are asking for a major legal problem. However, if the evidence evolves and there is any involvement or liability by Miller, everything can change.

Without question, it's a huge 'there's no good answer' situation for Alabama, the SEC, and the NCAA.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

All,

I don't like to hide posts, especially from multiple fantastic posters, but it is easier to do so when I see political-type stuff from diametrically opposing viewpoints, both of which are 'hide-able'.  Also, true to the people on this board, there was no personal animus in anyone's posts.

So, if your post about the NRA got hidden, be assured that someone who disagreed with you got their post hidden too. 

Hope y'all understand that the College Basketball thread can degenerate in a hurry if we don't eliminate political/social issue posts.

Thanks

NCAA Basketball, where I go to escape the real world for a while.....oh, never mind. 

4 hours ago, reconmkd said:

After reading the text summaries and a few other posts, 1. I think it was Miles gun, 2. Miller responds with the gun in the car, 3. Millers responds again that the gun is loaded, 4. it sounds like Miller's car was blocking the victims car from leaving.

I didn’t pick up on the last part. I don’t know how he isn’t charged if 4 is true. 

But count me as someone who finds it pretty incredulous that the first three happened and Oates response is “poor kid was a victim of circumstance.”   

At best, Miller exhibited really poor judgement that I would think would warrant a non-trivial suspension. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

the NCAA or Bama suspends a kid when they have no knowledge that he's done anything wrong from a legal/team/NCAA rules standpoint, they are asking for a major legal problem.

They might want to update their team handbook if borderline accessory to murder isn’t in the realm of a discretionary suspension.  

We had kids suspended last year for some combination of curfew/weed (allegedly). I think the administration is gonna be within their rights to exercise some discipline for a guy who dropped his buddies glock off outside a night club that was used in a murder a few minutes later. 

25 minutes ago, str8baller said:

They might want to update their team handbook if borderline accessory to murder isn’t in the realm of a discretionary suspension.  

We had kids suspended last year for some combination of curfew/weed (allegedly). I think the administration is gonna be within their rights to exercise some discipline for a guy who dropped his buddies glock off outside a night club that was used in a murder a few minutes later. 

There’s a difference:

Weed and curfew are both clear violations of written standards. Not saying there won’t be a very clear and obviously extremely more impactful and harmful violation here, but until more facts emerge…

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There’s a difference:

Weed and curfew are both clear violations of written standards. Not saying there won’t be a very clear and obviously extremely more impactful and harmful violation here, but until more facts emerge…

I’d have to see each handbook, but I doubt set curfew violations are any more of a written standard than don’t engage in criminal or otherwise unbecoming conduct.  

You’d almost assuredly be suspended for that in the NBA and they have contracts and collective bargaining. I think Arenas and Critterton were suspended for a half a season for bringing guns into the locker room.   

Coaches have a wide latitude in disciplinary matters, even at the division 1 level. 

11 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’d have to see each handbook, but I doubt set curfew violations are any more of a written standard than don’t engage in criminal or otherwise unbecoming conduct.  

You’d almost assuredly be suspended for that in the NBA and they have contracts and collective bargaining. I think Arenas and Critterton were suspended for a half a season for bringing guns into the locker room.   

Coaches have a wide latitude in disciplinary matters, even at the division 1 level. 

No allegation of criminal conduct against Miller…yet. If Miller’s gun was legal and registered? I’m not sure what Alabama’s gun laws are like (imagine they are pretty permissive) so if Miller had a legal gun and was allowed to give it someone else, they need evidence that Miller knew it was gonna be used for a crime. They may get there, but until then there may not be any violation of a law or standard.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

until then there may not be any violation of a law or standard.

violation of the law isn’t necessary. The standard can simply be not promoting the ideals the university desires. Given they’re all over the ESPN ticker today and their coach is already walking back his comments, I think they qualify.   

If it helps to conceptualize, think of New Mexico State. They canceled their entire season. A majority of the players haven’t been charged or even implicated in anything. Yet, the innocent players/coaches will have no cause of action for being out of 1/3rd of season of basketball. It’s entirely within the discretion of the school to do so. 

violation of the law isn’t necessary. The standard can simply be not promoting the ideals the university desires. Given they’re all over the ESPN ticker today and their coach is already walking back his comments, I think they qualify.   

If it helps to conceptualize, think of New Mexico State. They canceled their entire season. A majority of the players haven’t been charged or even implicated in anything. Yet, the innocent players/coaches will have no cause of action for being out of 1/3rd of season of basketball. It’s entirely within the discretion of the school to do so. 
I assume he violated a law in having that weapon

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk