Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Talent comes in many forms. Talent can be a top 50 kid that makes an impact right away, talent can be a top 50 kid that only plays 12 min a game and 7 pts his freshman year and then gets stronger and older his later years, talent can be a kid that was committed to UC Davis until peach jam ranked in the 300’s then wins peach jam finals mvp and reopens his commitment and eventually contributes his freshman year on a national title team, talent can be a kid the kid ranked over 100 that works his butt off and by the time he is a senior his on the wooden watch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

National title teams get some Top 50 talent and 4 stars. That’s what they are normally built on. Maybe a 5* or two.

National title teams get some Top 50 talent and 4 stars. That’s what they are normally built on. Maybe a 5* or two.

Not entirely true. UNC is built that way. Nova is mostly built that way. Virginia is the least by far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/analyzing-college-basketballs-relationship-between-recruiting-rankings-and-wins-04-17-2019/amp/

national title teams also have non top 50 talent on their roster as well that step up and contribute for those national title teams. Louisville didn’t win it’s fake national title because Wayne Blackshear was a top 30 player they won because luke Hancock a George Mason transfer got hot and won MOP of the final 4, Russ Smith a recruit in the 300’s dominated, Montrez Harrell, Siva both non top 50 player were solid. Luke Maye a former walk-on that was ranked outside the top 100 sent home a roster full of top 50 players on North Carolina’s national title run. Talent comes in many forms

Not entirely true. UNC is built that way. Nova is mostly built that way. Virginia is the least by far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/analyzing-college-basketballs-relationship-between-recruiting-rankings-and-wins-04-17-2019/amp/

Last years Virginia team had 5-6 Top 100 guys and 3 Top 50(Guy, Jerome and Diakite). They were well built with 4* players.

54 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We haven't seen how they respond to getting behind 10-12 pts. have we?

True, but where does that stop?  We also haven't seen how they respond to a road game, when Archie gets a technical, when we get in foul trouble, if we don't make free throws, if Al Durham has an off night, in an afternoon game with sun coming in the windows, etc.  Some of that can't be controlled by the schedule.  There was no guarantee we wouldn't be down by 10-12 with the schedule we've played.   And with a better schedule, there's no guarantee we WOULD.  This isn't a controlled environment.   

There are a million things we "haven't learned," none of which could have been controlled with the schedule.  A road game would have been good for them, but apart from that, everything's subjective.

Last years Virginia team had 5-6 Top 100 guys and 3 Top 50(Guy, Jerome and Diakite). They were well built with 4* players.

Were those guys immediate impact top 50 players or did they take a couple years to develop?
Talent comes in many forms.

Were those guys immediate impact top 50 players or did they take a couple years to develop?
Talent comes in many forms.

I pretty clearly stated that you have to collect talent and build. I guess that’s not a clear enough statement.

I pretty clearly stated that you have to collect talent and build. I guess that’s not a clear enough statement.

I pretty clearly stated that talent comes in different forms. I guess that’s not a clear enough statement

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

If I’m reading the chart correctly.... in that time frame we recruited slightly better than UNC and Nova and a fair amount better than UVA?

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

There is no dominant team in college basketball this year. March will be wild. The field is wide open.

Yep, It’s early but no one stands out as having the capability of having a high percentage chance to go on a six game tourney run.

If I’m reading the chart correctly.... in that time frame we recruited slightly better than UNC and Nova and a fair amount better than UVA?

UNC no, Nova is close, and we and we recruited better than Virginia. They have just outperformed their rankings.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

UNC no, Nova is close, and we and we recruited better than Virginia. They have just outperformed their rankings.

Unless I am interpreting the chart wrong......On the recruiting axis it clearly looks as though we are to the left (ie higher ranked) of UNC.

Unless I am interpreting the chart wrong......On the recruiting axis it clearly looks as though we are to the left (ie higher ranked) of UNC.

In 2015 UNC had the composite 70th class. Otherwise they mostly beat us in 247 composite except 2018 10 vs 13. Every other year they we typically 10 to 15 spots ahead of us. In 2015 when theirs was that bad? We weren’t in top 30. But we weren’t that bad. Guessing that has a lot to do with that. But I see what you are saying. Recruiting wise I think we are fine. That was my overall point. People tend to think Nova and Virginia are doing better than what they are recruiting stars.