Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Heard a stat on Mike & Mike this morning, no player in NBA history under 6'0" has ever made an All-Star Team after turning 30. The Celtics had a looming IT problem with him being a free agent next summer, and this move was largely about fixing that issue. IT had already made several comments in the media this offseason about the Celtics "backing up the Brinks truck" to keep him. This move clearly shows Ainge/the Celtics were very uncomfortable with giving a 30 year old, 5'9" point guard a 5-year max contract. 

While giving up the Brooklyn pick hurts, the Celtics still have a lottery pick coming their way from the Fultz/Tatum trade. That's why the trade is a win-win, Cleveland clearly got what they needed, and while the Celtics gave more than other teams have given for stars they still have great picks coming their way and didn't leverage their future. 

To me it seems like Boston has gone into future mode. They have Kyrie there PG of now/future. Went and got Hayward in the offseason. Have two good young wings in Tatum and Brown. Decent bench still with the likes of Smart, Johnson etc. and still have a lot of picks. I'm beginning to wonder if Ainge saw the writing on the wall that the team Boston can't beat the Warriors next season or the season after that most likely. So why not be competitive now. Damn competitive. Get a couple more young pieces through the draft. Most likely bigs I'd think and let them progress. Then once the Warriors super team splits up. Which I believe Klay Thompson will leave once his contract runs out. You'll be in prime shape to be the top team in the league with Kyrie in late 20s. Hayward late 20s/early 30s. Tatum Brown in mid 20s and a solid big from this upcoming class or the next. I'd think they be a solid contender assuming everyone progresses well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To me it seems like Boston has gone into future mode. They have Kyrie there PG of now/future. Went and got Hayward in the offseason. Have two good young wings in Tatum and Brown. Decent bench still with the likes of Smart, Johnson etc. and still have a lot of picks. I'm beginning to wonder if Ainge saw the writing on the wall that the team Boston can't beat the Warriors next season or the season after that most likely. So why not be competitive now. Damn competitive. Get a couple more young pieces through the draft. Most likely bigs I'd think and let them progress. Then once the Warriors super team splits up. Which I believe Klay Thompson will leave once his contract runs out. You'll be in prime shape to be the top team in the league with Kyrie in late 20s. Hayward late 20s/early 30s. Tatum Brown in mid 20s and a solid big from this upcoming class or the next. I'd think they be a solid contender assuming everyone progresses well.

I truly think this move was as much about the present as future. Heyward is better than what they had. So is Kyrie. I think Ainge plays a balancing act between the present and future.

I truly think this move was as much about the present as future. Heyward is better than what they had. So is Kyrie. I think Ainge plays a balancing act between the present and future.

That's what I was trying to get to lol I just did it in a super round about way. They are going to be good now but they aren't contenders until some of their young guys progress

That's what I was trying to get to lol I just did it in a super round about way. They are going to be good now but they aren't contenders until some of their young guys progress

I think they are better next year than last and set up even better for the future. To me it's hard to argue they didn't improve in both areas this offseason. They should make the finals IMO.

I think they are better next year than last and set up even better for the future. To me it's hard to argue they didn't improve in both areas this offseason. They should make the finals IMO.

Interesting. I think they got better in terms of starting talent but they bench got a little weaker. I just can't see the Cavs losing in the ECF to them unless IT and Lebron clash for some reason IMO

Interesting. I think they got better in terms of starting talent but they bench got a little weaker. I just can't see the Cavs losing in the ECF to them unless IT and Lebron clash for some reason IMO

Fully healthy IT? Or coming off of severe hip injury IT? Nobody can guard Lebron. But who else on the Cavs is better than their counterpart? The bench with the kids will be better. IMO only one player on the Cavs can even keep them in the series.

21 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Fully healthy IT? Or coming off of severe hip injury IT? Nobody can guard Lebron. But who else on the Cavs is better than their counterpart? The bench with the kids will be better. IMO only one player on the Cavs can even keep them in the series.

The Cavs win every starting matchup except  pg. They also have the better bench. 

I mean I'd take Love and Thompson in the front court over Morris and Hortford. Lebron over anybody in the world. I think the guards for the Celtics are better. But I mean the Cavs bench could potentially take a huge boost this offseason adding Crowder, Green and D Rose. Potentially Wade also if he gets bought out. Throwing that in with Shump and Korver who are already there. That's a pretty good bench

I mean I'd take Love and Thompson in the front court over Morris and Hortford. Lebron over anybody in the world. I think the guards for the Celtics are better. But I mean the Cavs bench could potentially take a huge boost this offseason adding Crowder, Green and D Rose. Potentially Wade also if he gets bought out. Throwing that in with Shump and Korver who are already there. That's a pretty good bench

It should be, but really wasn't consistent last year. We will see. I like the Celtics at this point. The Cavs are old and they are depending on players either on the decline or coming off injury besides Lebron. Will be interesting in the East for sure. I also think Crowder is more important for them than IT if they make the finals.

39 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

I cannot answer for the person you asked, but for myself, I prefer to see a team compete to be the best they can be , especially with the cost of NBA tickets.

I get that, but the NBA is a business and sometimes tanking is the best decision for the team. If you know you're not going to compete for a championship then you're better off losing to get a high lottery pick than you are winning to get bounced in the first round. 

Until they introduce measures to prevent tanking, I'm all for taking advantage of the situation. No point in trying to be the 10th best team in your conference. Better to capitalize on the draft. 

Would be interested to see a measure where they award the best team that missed the playoffs with the number one pick. I know there are some issues to work out (teams trying to miss the playoffs by a game, how to handle East/West, etc) but I think it's a step in the right direction. At least a conversation to have. 

A lot of people may not like soccer, but promotion/relegation is a great tool. Unfortunately it wouldn't work with the NBA.

Sports Illustrated releasing its annual list of Top 100 NBA players.  Today it released #50-100.

Eric Gordon at No. 83, Victor Oladipo at No. 77 and Cody Zeller at No. 70.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/11/top-100-nba-players-2018-list-rankings?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Man Durant really admitted to making fake Twitter accounts to defend himself against people... If there was ever a time to say you got hacked that would be now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2733820-kevin-durant-twitter-account-posts-tweet-criticizing-billy-donovan-thunder.amp.html