Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

Big Ten Coach of Year Prediction

Interesting---a lot of great coaches or leaders are ultra competitive --type A personalities.  Crean certainly is relentless-- I like your "manic energy" description. I don't mind that in our Coach--certainly use to it from Coach Knight days. Recruiting /Coaching is so competitive these days I am sure they sometimes rub each other the wrong way!  But---you can be type A and not be a jerk...hope that is not his reputation with other coaches. However, you also have to stand up for yourself. If they have wronged him/IU--then I don't mind him calling them out!

I think this theory might be overblown a bit. Of course he's had issues with some guys during the rebuild "negative recruiting, etc) but I think Crean is generally pretty liked in the coaching community. I think Bo Ryan is a coach that many think Crean doesn't get along with, yet Crean talked this summer about getting advice from Bo Ryan regarding our Canada trip.

My theory is simple: most of the other coaches in this league think Crean is a tool.

My theory is simple: most of the other coaches in this league think Crean is a tool.

This. The blow by handshankes, the incident of calling out other assistant coaches like at Michigan, and others are just some of the reasons why Crean is not respected in our league by the head coaches in the B1G or elsewhere. Believe me his peers in the B1G are hoping he fulfills the remainder of his contract at IU. Losing assistant coaches like IU legend Calbert Cheaney to St. Louis and awesome recruiter Kenny Johnson shows what his assistants think of him also.

My early vote for COY will be Chris Collins or Richard Pitino. An easy choice would be Bo Grinch but I just can't stand the guy.

I'm not sure any of your first paragraph is really accurate. He's one of the few coaches who's entire staff are all former D1 head coaches. Former head coaches aren't going to be Crean's assistant if he's not widely respected. Buckley has stayed with him for years and the same for McClain. They're not doing that if Crean isn't respected.

Izzo is one of the most respected coaches in the game, and he loves Crean. Crean had his issues with some other coaches during the rebuild, no denying that, but I think the idea that he's not respected isn't accurate. Like I said above, Crean got advice on the Canada trip from Bo Ryan. Do you think that's happening if those two really didn't get along?

We also know he's really well respected by NBA coaches as well.

This. The blow by handshankes, the incident of calling out other assistant coaches like at Michigan, and others are just some of the reasons why Crean is not respected in our league by the head coaches in the B1G or elsewhere. Believe me his peers in the B1G are hoping he fulfills the remainder of his contract at IU. Losing assistant coaches like IU legend Calbert Cheaney to St. Louis and awesome recruiter Kenny Johnson shows what his assistants think of him also.
My early vote for COY will be Chris Collins or Richard Pitino. An easy choice would be Bo Grinch but I just can't stand the guy.

I'm not sure any of your first paragraph is really accurate. He's one of the few coaches who's entire staff are all former D1 head coaches. Former head coaches aren't going to be Crean's assistant if he's not widely respected. Buckley has stayed with him for years and the same for McClain. They're not doing that if Crean isn't respected.
Izzo is one of the most respected coaches in the game, and he loves Crean. Crean had his issues with some other coaches during the rebuild, no denying that, but I think the idea that he's not respected isn't accurate. Like I said above, Crean got advice on the Canada trip from Bo Ryan. Do you think that's happening if those two really didn't get along?
We also know he's really well respected by NBA coaches as well.

I disagree. Former head coaches got that way by being fired. By just having them on your staff has nothing to do with how other head coaches feel about you. I think it really shows how big the program they are working. I would rather have some up and coming assistants like Fife at Mich St with new ideas than former failed head coaches trying to get back to being a head coach. Especially a hole staff filled with them. Now maybe one former failed head coach I could understand. As far as Izzo, what else would you expect him to say about one of his former assistant coaches? He even reccommended Crean to us for good reason. Izzo gets to come down to indiana to land players like Harris and Dawson and will continually kick our butts on the court. Do you think Izzo would speak highly of Brad stevens if he were to eventually take the job?

If you're a former head coach and hoping to be one again, you're not going to work for a coach that isn't respected. You're going to go work for a coach that is highly respected in the industry and can vouch for you, etc. A coach that can get you back on the map and call other schools when you're ready again.

Izzo isn't going to vouch for a coach, putting his reputation on the line, recommending him at both Marquette and IU, if he didn't think Crean was a good coach and respected him. I doubt recommending Crean to IU was some elaborate plan to keep IU down and steal recruits from Indiana.

We know that Crean is good friends with Izzo, Calipari, and worked for Heathcoate, Izzo, and Ralph Willard. Those are three of the most respected coaches in the industry. We know Bo Ryan gave him advice this summer about our Canada trip. Why is Bo Ryan giving a conference rival, who you think he doesn't respect, advice? Sabotage? I doubt it. These guys are in a fraternity and Crean is definitely in the club.

It sounds to me like you're taking some blow-by handshakes (which I can't stand either) and extrapolating that into a myth that Crean isn't respected in the industry.

I disagree. Former head coaches got that way by being fired. By just having them on your staff has nothing to do with how other head coaches feel about you. I think it really shows how big the program they are working. I would rather have some up and coming assistants like Fife at Mich St with new ideas than former failed head coaches trying to get back to being a head coach. Especially a hole staff filled with them. Now maybe one former failed head coach I could understand. As far as Izzo, what else would you expect him to say about one of his former assistant coaches? He even reccommended Crean to us for good reason. Izzo gets to come down to indiana to land players like Harris and Dawson and will continually kick our butts on the court. Do you think Izzo would speak highly of Brad stevens if he were to eventually take the job?

If you're a former head coach and hoping to be one again, you're not going to work for a coach that isn't respected. You're going to go work for a coach that is highly respected in the industry and can vouch for you, etc. A coach that can get you back on the map and call other schools when you're ready again.
Izzo isn't going to vouch for a coach, putting his reputation on the line, recommending him at both Marquette and IU, if he didn't think Crean was a good coach and respected him. I doubt recommending Crean to IU was some elaborate plan to keep IU down and steal recruits from Indiana.
We know that Crean is good friends with Izzo, Calipari, and worked for Heathcoate, Izzo, and Ralph Willard. Those are three of the most respected coaches in the industry. We know Bo Ryan gave him advice this summer about our Canada trip. Why is Bo Ryan giving a conference rival, who you think he doesn't respect, advice? Sabotage? I doubt it. These guys are in a fraternity and Crean is definitely in the club.
It sounds to me like you're taking some blow-by handshakes (which I can't stand either) and extrapolating that into a myth that Crean isn't respected in the industry.

I respect your opinion and hope you do mine as well. I don't think Crean is highly thought of as a head coach in our league or outside of it. I remember a poll of coaches rating the top coaches in basketball and I don't think Crean made the top fifty. I will look for it and try to post it. To me that says everything when generally IU is looked at being one of the top 5/6 programs in college basketball history.

I respect your opinion and hope you do mine as well. I don't think Crean is highly thought of as a head coach in our league or outside of it. I remember a poll of coaches rating the top coaches in basketball and I don't think Crean made the top fifty. I will look for it and try to post it. To me that says everything when generally IU is looked at being one of the top 5/6 programs in college basketball history.

That was done by ESPN employees. I'd like to see some quotes or facts regarding the leagues dislike of Crean, because I've only ever seen respect for Crean. Even after the Michigan game, no coaches came out and blasted him when they absolutely could have.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

That was an ESPN poll. I saw it. It was based on last season. Other than that poll, why would you think he's not respected outside of the league? What has shown that? Kenny Johnson had nothing but great things to say. Benny Seltzer has said nothing but great things. He keeps adding former head coaches to his staff. The Charlotte Hornets had great things to say about him after drafting Vonleh. Dwyane Wade just brought half his team to work with Crean. Again, he's worked for Izzo, Heathcoate and Willard, and tremulously respected coaches coaches.

I absolutely respect you having your own opinion, of course.

Don't the coaches vote on this? If so, forget about Crean ever winning it. The 2012 and 2013 COY awards were all the evidence you need. 

2012 I can agree.  If you look at exceeding expectations though that automatically eliminates 2013 because when the expectations are to win the conference the best you can do is meet them.

Good discussions and well reasoned opinions both ways. I will weigh in and say I think IU also tried to be very careful after the Sampson debacle when hiring the next coach. No way they took Crean without making sure he had a good reputation with other coaches/former players. I am sure intense vetting and investigation occurred.  I am not aware if something changed in the coaching community after the hire---and that we can debate/discuss... 

2012 I can agree.  If you look at exceeding expectations though that automatically eliminates 2013 because when the expectations are to win the conference the best you can do is meet them.

I think regardless of sport, an award such as this will go to a team that overachieved significantly. If no one did, it will usually go to the league winner. In 2012, Izzo got it because he won a share of the Big Ten (I thought Beilein deserved it more than him). The next year, the criteria changed and Wisconsin got it for exceeding expectations after losing their point guard. 

People can say what they want, but there was no way the coaches in this league were giving Crean their vote either year. If any of the coaches were on the fence about him, his little tirade at Michigan probably removed any doubt. 

I see your point TheWatShot---at least they still vote for our players who regularly receive post-season awards.  If they actually don't like Crean---so be it. If he gets shafted on a COY award which it seems he has--then at least it means the team did well and that is actually the most important thing!

Tom Crean:

He knows his seat is heating up, and that this may be his last chance to show why he deserves to be the HC at IU before he essentially is written off for good by the fans. Similarly to 2012-2013, he has a strong cast of returning players and has added electric young players who can contribute day one. With the B1G as open as it is, and the disappointing season we had last year, he has the benefit of a ton of room for improvement, and the fact that the team is unheralded. If Crean can pull together a 20+ win season, tournament berth, and win a few games in the B1G Tournament, I truly believe he would win COY.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Bo Ryan giving advice to the head coach at Indiana University and it being made public just says it all to me. Bo's banners must be a thing of envy now for us. Didn't he just make his first final four? Yes Crean came with high reccommendations from Izzo. As an assistant to him I'm sure Izzo knows his weaknesses better than we do as well as his strengths. Why do you think he goes after Creans recruits? We can argue all day but I say Crean isn't highly respected in the coaching ranks but I will agree its easier to be when your getting beat by the majority of your peers.

I'm sorry, not trying to be rude, but your points aren't even making sense. We're dismissing Crean getting advice from Bo Ryan as a sign of mutual respect, because IU is too good to get advice from a Wisconsin coach? He was getting advice on how to best handle to Canada trip, any good coach would do that.

Izzo is going after Crean's recruits because he knows his weaknesses? Ummmm, recruiting isn't one of his weaknesses. Crean recruited almost all of the key guys that won Izzo a National Championship. Izzo respects Crean so much that he gave him a championship ring even though Crean had already left for Marquette.

I also read an article yesterday that quoted Fran McCaffrey saying Coach Crean was one of the first coaches to call him and check-in when his son was diagnosed with cancer.

It just sounds to me like there isn't much basis of fact behind your opinion. It's more of storylines based on some blow-by handshakes and the Michigan incident (both of which I think are amateurish by Crean) than based on how he's really viewed by his peers.

Bo Ryan giving advice to the head coach at Indiana University and it being made public just says it all to me. Bo's banners must be a thing of envy now for us. Didn't he just make his first final four? Yes Crean came with high reccommendations from Izzo. As an assistant to him I'm sure Izzo knows his weaknesses better than we do as well as his strengths. Why do you think he goes after Creans recruits? We can argue all day but I say Crean isn't highly respected in the coaching ranks but I will agree its easier to be when your getting beat by the majority of your peers.

I almost get the feeling that you are going to be quite disappointed if Tom Crean does exceptionally well as the head basketball coach at Indiana University.