Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
WayneFleekHoosier

Spurs vs. Heat

[quote name="KingPG21" post="70060" timestamp="1402532358"]I get that super teams rule the league, and when there are super teams they draw ratings. But how is that going to be even the slightest bit entertaining to watch for anyone outside of Heat fans. Would make the NBA beyond boring come playoff time[/quote]

I probably wouldn't watch anymore.

I probably wouldn't watch anymore.

I mean I'll keep following the Pacers, but that crap makes everything harder to give a crap about. The second they get eliminated I'm not watching another second, and even then anything against the Heat will be hard to get any kind of entertainment out of. 

[quote name="KingPG21" post="70060" timestamp="1402532358"]I get that super teams rule the league, and when there are super teams they draw ratings. But how is that going to be even the slightest bit entertaining to watch for anyone outside of Heat fans. Would make the NBA beyond boring come playoff time[/quote]

I actually would think it'll be hilarious watching them fight over shots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Unless something changed today, what I was always hearing was that Melo would stick it out another year with New York and then LeBron and Bosh would opt out after next year and join him.

[quote name="BGleas" post="70074" timestamp="1402534855"]Unless something changed today, what I was always hearing was that Melo would stick it out another year with New York and then LeBron and Bosh would opt out after next year and join him.[/quote]

Where'd you hear that? I think you may the only person that has.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No, it's been pretty commonly discussed that Phil Jackson's pitch to Carmelo is to not opt out this summer and then wait for the Knicks to clear space and make a run at another super star next summer, primarily James. This talk of Carmelo joining them in Miami is the new part.

Where'd you hear that? I think you may the only person that has. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just what the NBA needs: another superstar who can't get a ring without nabbing two of the best players in the league to bail him out. Boring. New York will be the new Miami. Rinse and repeat every single year. How can anyone find this entertaining. Once San Antonio loses all of their players they drafted or scouted from overseas, no small market team will ever win another Championship. 

I can't believe I'm going to defend these guys, but I can honestly see why they'd want to play together. Everyone says they get too much coverage, too much hype, etc. But the media is fickle, and if you aren't winning, they pile on like no other. 

Carmelo Anthony has spent a whole decade in the NBA and has no jewelry to show for it. He's on a terrible team that's full of bad contracts, has no draft picks and probably won't contend for another 3-4 seasons. Heck, I've already seen one writer for ESPN say "is Kevin Durant the next Carmelo Anthony?" implying that Durant is running out of time before people start viewing him as a choker who can't win on the big stage. 

So if anything, the media should take the blame for this. People say players from the 90's or whenever wouldn't do this…well, ESPN wasn't calling Charles Barkley or Karl Malone a couple or regular season stat compilers, either. I've mentioned before, I HATE what the super-team era is doing to basketball at all levels. But in all seriousness, when I look at it from the players' perspectives, I get it. 

I can't believe I'm going to defend these guys, but I can honestly see why they'd want to play together. Everyone says they get too much coverage, too much hype, etc. But the media is fickle, and if you aren't winning, they pile on like no other. 

Carmelo Anthony has spent a whole decade in the NBA and has no jewelry to show for it. He's on a terrible team that's full of bad contracts, has no draft picks and probably won't contend for another 3-4 seasons. Heck, I've already seen one writer for ESPN say "is Kevin Durant the next Carmelo Anthony?" implying that Durant is running out of time before people start viewing him as a choker who can't win on the big stage. 

So if anything, the media should take the blame for this. People say players from the 90's or whenever wouldn't do this…well, ESPN wasn't calling Charles Barkley or Karl Malone a couple or regular season stat compilers, either. I've mentioned before, I HATE what the super-team era is doing to basketball at all levels. But in all seriousness, when I look at it from the players' perspectives, I get it. 

You mean at the very end of their careers? Malone and Chuck were literally on their last leg with those teams. Melo still has a long time in this league. Both Karl and Chuck took teams to conference finals literally on their backs. Melo is a selfish player who wouldn't know what teamwork meant if they threw a dictionary at him. He's desperate. He's a great shooter, but anyone can score the points he does night in and night out when you NEVER PASS THE BALL.

Lebron and DWade didn't sound like a couple of guys that planned on playing together anymore during the press conference last night. I hate the super team concept, so I at least hope the Melo to Miami rumors don't end up happening. Will be an interesting few weeks coming up.

I honestly was so mad after the Pacers demise I didn't watch one game of the Finals.  Happy to see the Spurs systematically demolished the Heat thought.  World Cup has all my attention anyway so it's a good thing the NBA Finals are over with!

Lebron and DWade didn't sound like a couple of guys that planned on playing together anymore during the press conference last night. I hate the super team concept, so I at least hope the Melo to Miami rumors don't end up happening. Will be an interesting few weeks coming up.

Well there are rumors that other teams are going to attempt to clear cap space to get him. I wouldn't like it, but it almost makes too much sense for the Bulls to sign Melo. They've got the defensive pieces to make up for his issues on that end, and he'd give them that other scoring threat to take pressure off of Rose, thought I highly doubt Rose will ever be Rose again

You missed an absolute masterpiece by the Spurs. I grew up on 80's basketball, with the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, etc., those were great years in the NBA, but if someone asked me how to play basketball and I could show them one team, this Spurs team might be the video I show them. 

They were so much fun to watch, I'm almost sorry the series is over just because I don't get to watch them anymore. 

I honestly was so mad after the Pacers demise I didn't watch one game of the Finals.  Happy to see the Spurs systematically demolished the Heat thought.  World Cup has all my attention anyway so it's a good thing the NBA Finals are over with!

Honest question, how many of the people complaining about "super teams" remember the 80's when the Lakers and Celtics were both loaded with multiple HOF players and more or less took turns winning titles?  I was a kid back then but I don't recall anyone complaining about it.  Maybe it was because you had two teams that were more or less equals and dueled it out.  But even along those lines, Miami's "super team" ended up winning two and losing two.  And quite frankly were very fortunate to not ending up losing 3 out of 4 if not for the Spurs blowing Game 6 last season.  It isn't like overall competitive balance is completely out of check in favor of any one team. 

I just find it odd to hate on players who decide to sacrifice individual salary/stats a bit to try and win titles.  Is it only because you hate the particular players in question?  DWade and LBJ certainly draw a lot of ire from many fans.  But somehow I don't think Pacer fans would be offended if 3 superstar players decided to come together and play for less money to try and win titles in Indiana.  Which I know, I know.  That is probably never happening.  Look I dislike the Heat but my dislike is more centered around distaste for certain players combined with what I perceive to be a bandwagon fan base and not so much the fact that three guys decided to team up to try and win rings together. 

A couple things, in the 80's there were only 24 teams so you had to have 2-3 HOF'ers just to compete to get to the Finals. The Celtics had to contend with the Erving/Malone/Cheeks/Toney Sixers, who went to the Finals in 80, 82 and 83, an up and coming Detroit team, Jordan's Bulls and even Dominique and the Hawks. I didn't even mention Milwaukee, who was pretty good back then too.

Also, the Celtics and Lakers were built through smart drafting and smart trades. Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird a year before he actually came out,in order to secure his rights. He traded for Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, etc. he drafted Danny Ainge and convinced him to quit basketball. The list goes on.

I don't know as much about the Lakers, but know they were built pretty similarly. Like Jordan said when LeBron went to Miami (paraphrasing) "I didn't want to play with Barkley, Magic and Larry, I wanted to kick their butts".

Honest question, how many of the people complaining about "super teams" remember the 80's when the Lakers and Celtics were both loaded with multiple HOF players and more or less took turns winning titles? I was a kid back then but I don't recall anyone complaining about it. Maybe it was because you had two teams that were more or less equals and dueled it out. But even along those lines, Miami's "super team" ended up winning two and losing two. And quite frankly were very fortunate to not ending up losing 3 out of 4 if not for the Spurs blowing Game 6 last season. It isn't like overall competitive balance is completely out of check in favor of any one team.

I just find it odd to hate on players who decide to sacrifice individual salary/stats a bit to try and win titles. Is it only because you hate the particular players in question? DWade and LBJ certainly draw a lot of ire from many fans. But somehow I don't think Pacer fans would be offended if 3 superstar players decided to come together and play for less money to try and win titles in Indiana. Which I know, I know. That is probably never happening. Look I dislike the Heat but my dislike is more centered around distaste for certain players combined with what I perceive to be a bandwagon fan base and not so much the fact that three guys decided to team up to try and win rings together.

A couple things, in the 80's there were only 24 teams so you had to have 2-3 HOF'ers just to compete to get to the Finals. The Celtics had to contend with the Erving/Malone/Cheeks/Toney Sixers, who went to the Finals in 80, 82 and 83, an up and coming Detroit team, Jordan's Bulls and even Dominique and the Hawks. I didn't even mention Milwaukee, who was pretty good back then too.

Also, the Celtics and Lakers were built through smart drafting and smart trades. Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird a year before he actually came out,in order to secure his rights. He traded for Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, etc. he drafted Danny Ainge and convinced him to quit basketball. The list goes on.

I don't know as much about the Lakers, but know they were built pretty similarly. Like Jordan said when LeBron went to Miami (paraphrasing) "I didn't want to play with Barkley, Magic and Larry, I wanted to kick their butts".

So when it comes to acquiring multiple HOF players, it is all about how you accomplish it?  In the old days, you were FORCED to acquire multiple HOF players so it just is not as legit to do the same thing when you have a more free choice of players!  When given a free choice, you would choose to have fewer great players?

Did MJ refuse to play and demand a trade when Bulls acquired Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant?  You know, the guys that helped push the Bulls over the top to start that string of titles.  You really think Jordan at that time would have been like "hell nah" if somehow he could have gotten Bird, Barkley or Magic on his side?  LOL.  C'mon man.  Jordan is very competitive and has a lot of pride so that is the response you expect publicly but....really.