Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
BlueDevil

2014 Indiana High School Jr/Sr All Star Game

Tomorrows game is on fox sports south and fox sports Midwest

Sent from my XT1050 using BtownBanners mobile app

Mark Ambrogi @mark_ambrogi  ·  22m
Fox Sports Midwest will be running tape delayed broadcast of Friday's night IndyStar Indiana/Kentucky All-Star games later tonight.

Just watched the replay of last nights game. My obsevations:
1. Blackmon can really shoot and is a good ball handler. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective so my concern is he reminds me of Yogi 2.0. With a guard oriented offense next year this may be a plus but Yogi will have to facilitate more to get Blackmon his shots. He shoots a lot better than his father.
2. McRoberts was way undervalued. He is a smaller version of his brother but shoots and passes well and has a knack for the game. Vermont got a steal and I think he really could have helped us. Very high basketball IQ.
3. McIntosh really surprised me. Nortwestern is getting a gamer and he is one of those Cloverdale type players that should have never left the state. I really question our recruiting when we have these under the radar players like McRoberts and mcIntosh in our back yard and take players like Hoeztal. You solidify recruiting in state with Indiana coaches by taking these type of players. Why recruit out of state players when you can find equal value and chances of higher basketball IQ right under your nose?

Just watched the replay of last nights game. My obsevations:
3. McIntosh really surprised me. Nortwestern is getting a gamer and he is one of those Cloverdale type players that should have never left the state. I really question our recruiting when we have these under the radar players like McRoberts and mcIntosh in our back yard and take players like Hoeztal. You solidify recruiting in state with Indiana coaches by taking these type of players. Why recruit out of state players when you can find equal value and chances of higher basketball IQ right under your nose?

I've said before and I'll say again, we have a huge asset at our disposal being located right in the heart of a recruiting hotbed and we should try to take full advantage of that.  Many other programs don't have that, but we do.  That doesn't mean recruit only the state, there are years with less talent or less at a position of need, but we could get a bunch of talent and never step foot in an airport.

I've said before and I'll say again, we have a huge asset at our disposal being located right in the heart of a recruiting hotbed and we should try to take full advantage of that.  Many other programs don't have that, but we do.  That doesn't mean recruit only the state, there are years with less talent or less at a position of need, but we could get a bunch of talent and never step foot in an airport.

My question "Who is our in state lead recruiter?" Who has ties to this talent and who is giving advice on who can help? I don't want to pile on our staff either, because the one Purdue recruit didn't impress me either. You have the brother of an NBA baller and he's going to Vermont? McIntosh shoots 74% from the field his Jr and Sr years according to the announcers and Collins comes in and signs him. McIntosh facilitated in one game better than our points all of last year. These kids made the Indiana all stars so at least someone in Indiana recognized their talent. Just too bad it wasn't our staff because both could help.

My question "Who is our in state lead recruiter?" Who has ties to this talent and who is giving advice on who can help? I don't want to pile on our staff either, because the one Purdue recruit didn't impress me either. You have the brother of an NBA baller and he's going to Vermont? McIntosh shoots 74% from the field his Jr and Sr years according to the announcers and Collins comes in and signs him. McIntosh facilitated in one game better than our points all of last year. These kids made the Indiana all stars so at least someone in Indiana recognized their talent. Just too bad it wasn't our staff because both could help.

Believe me, I wanted a guy with ties to the IN HS/AAU scene to get the open assistant position.

So basically you're questioning the IU staffs recruiting efforts/decisions based on one time watching these two kids play at an all star game against a Kentucky team that was far from loaded with high D1 talent and the belief that these kids are better simply because they play high school ball in Indiana? Then you go on to dismiss Hoeztel, who you obviously know nothing about, simply because he isn't from Indiana.

So basically you're questioning the IU staffs recruiting efforts/decisions based on one time watching these two kids play at an all star game against a Kentucky team that was far from loaded with high D1 talent and the belief that these kids are better simply because they play high school ball in Indiana? Then you go on to dismiss Hoeztel, who you obviously know nothing about, simply because he isn't from Indiana.

Welcome to Indiana basketball forums....

Seems like Yogi had 10+ assists (facilitating fairly well) in the McD's big boys game, better than ANY of our points last year.....

Seems like Yogi had 10+ assists (facilitating fairly well) in the McD's big boys game, better than ANY of our points last year.....

He was our point last year, and he didn't facilitate well the whole year. Less dribbling and more passing would have equalled more wins. That's not his fault though, as I think he did exactly what he was told to do.

Yes I do question the IU staffs recruiting efforts. Just look at the contiuance on recruiting projects bigs when none has worked out yet. Do I need to list them for you? And yes I am biased towards Indiana kids. High basketball IQ makes up a lot for loss of talent.

Yes I do question the IU staffs recruiting efforts. Just look at the contiuance on recruiting projects bigs when none has worked out yet. Do I need to list them for you? And yes I am biased towards Indiana kids. High basketball IQ makes up a lot for loss of talent.

^^POPPYCOCK!!^^

The IU staff recruits five star bigs (Cody, Noah), but when they become lottery picks, we only get a total of three years out of the two of them. They also recruit five star bigs that simply do not end up at IU.

The IU staff recruits four star bigs (Hanner, CWat) who develop at IU, and recruits countless four star bigs who do not choose IU.

The IU staff recruits three star bigs (Devin Davis, Capo, Pritch, Jurkin, Elston, Bawa) who turn into productive players less often. We also recruit three star bigs who do not choose IU, but only when we have open slots because the five and four star bigs said "no".

When all else fails, the IU staff recruits project/unranked bigs, hopefully ones that have upside.

What I am curious about is: which Indiana kid, high basketball IQ bigs do you wish we went hard after and brought into the fold instead of these "projects"? (please don't cite TLyles who we DID go hard after, or guys with grade/attitude problems like McGary or Hammons).

EXAMPLES PLEASE!!

Pretty good synopsis really Stuhoo. 

I want to see examples too.

I would have liked to see McGary or Hammons under Creans arm.  Both are very talented. 

What about the McRoberts boy, that is going to Vermont?

Wideman from the 14 class? 

I need to do some research???

The problem with Wideman and McRoberts is that...

THEY.

ARE.

NOT.

THAT .

GOOD. 

As in, they may get minutes on a mid-major by their junior year. As in, Wideman is 6'7" and sturdy; ranked 283rd nationally. McRoberts completely unranked and 6'7" 190 lbs. A good game against the Kentucky high school all-stars is not nearly good enough. Ryan Burton will be a far more useful player for the next two years.

I just did a little research to further learn about which "Indiana-kid bigs" we've missed out on. 

By "missed out on", I mean players who would have been more valuable than Jeff Howard was last year. (SEE! Travis Carroll and Patrick Bade are already excluded!)

SOoooooo... I then looked at the Rivals top 150 to see who the "Indiana-Kid bigs" have been for the past five years. I'll define "big" as 6'8" or more. That knocks Devin Davis, Jeremy Hollowell, and Russell Byrd out of the discussion, though if you want to contend that our recruiting sucks because we lost out on Russell Byrd, more power to you!

Wanna see the list? Here ya' go:

5* bigs from Indiana: (1) Cody Zeller (IU) McGary (not listed as from Indiana, but he grew up here)

4* bigs from Indiana (2) Hanner Perea (IU), Michael Chandler (parts unknown), Hammons (not listed as from Indiana, but he grew up here)

3* bigs from Indiana (2) Derek Elston (IU), Torren Jones (Mizzou), avg 2pts/2reb per game last year

THAT'S IT!  

So, if you think that our big recruiting sucks because we didn't get Indiana kids like Michael Chandler or Torren Jones, so be it. All others were projects (outside the top 150) that I'm pretty sure would not have been a whole lot better than our big guy walk on.

The problem with Wideman and McRoberts is that...

THEY.
ARE.
NOT.
THAT .
GOOD. 
As in, they may get minutes on a mid-major by their junior year. As in, Wideman is 6'7" and sturdy; ranked 283rd nationally. McRoberts completely unranked and 6'7" 190 lbs. A good game against the Kentucky high school all-stars is not nearly good enough. Ryan Burton will be a far more useful player for the next two years.

I just did a little research to further learn about which "Indiana-kid bigs" we've missed out on. 

By "missed out on", I mean players who would have been more valuable than Jeff Howard was last year. (SEE! Travis Carroll and Patrick Bade are already excluded!)

SOoooooo... I then looked at the Rivals top 150 to see who the "Indiana-Kid bigs" have been for the past five years. I'll define "big" as 6'8" or more. That knocks Devin Davis, Jeremy Hollowell, and Russell Byrd out of the discussion, though if you want to contend that our recruiting sucks because we lost out on Russell Byrd, more power to you!

Wanna see the list? Here ya' go:

5* bigs from Indiana: (1) Cody Zeller (IU) McGary (not listed as from Indiana, but he grew up here)
4* bigs from Indiana (2) Hanner Perea (IU), Michael Chandler (parts unknown), Hammons (not listed as from Indiana, but he grew up here)
3* bigs from Indiana (2) Derek Elston (IU), Torren Jones (Mizzou), avg 2pts/2reb per game last year

THAT'S IT!  

So, if you think that our big recruiting sucks because we didn't get Indiana kids like Michael Chandler or Torren Jones, so be it. All others were projects (outside the top 150) that I'm pretty sure would not have been a whole lot better than our big guy walk on.

Thanks for doing the research!

It's a known fact that natives of Indiana possess a larger frontal cortex which blesses them with increased court perception and overall basketball intelligence. Crean isn't much of a believer in science, and thus refuses to acknowledge this truth and recruit every player in Indiana.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.