Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Adillac

IU will be a top 10 team next year

Nicely done post, but I think that assuming Anthony Lee is going to IU is a bit premature. So is putting Jeremy on the roster, never mind in the starting lineup.

ISU will be a real player for Lee, and if I'm not mistaken Florida has expressed interest.

What happens if Hollowell transfers an we don't get Lee? I can't see a top 10 team until I see what the roster we looks like. Even with Lee I don't see a top 10 team. I see a top 25 team with improvement from our current freshmen and Lee. I see Blackmon as an elite shooter but not RJ. He is good but I don't expect him to light it up as a freshman. He will have some games where he looks great and others where he doesn't.

I don't think Wisconsin is losing anyone of substance. They will be the favorites. Nebraska should remain intact, I think. Illinois get 3 players who sat out this year plus a good recruiting class. Crean has his work cut out for him next season. Michigan will be good next year as well.

Thanks! I'm usually not one to post ridiculously positive predictions, but I thought I'd give it a try. A lot of "if"s have to occur for my prediction to be correct but I think it's possible...

Yes, it is a bit premature to call Anthony Lee a Hoosier, but he has stated that he's received 300-400 tweets from Hoosier fans in the last couple of days alone, more than any other fanbase. That really helps I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="Adillac" post="50913" timestamp="1395404612"]Thanks! I'm usually not one to post ridiculously positive predictions, but I thought I'd give it a try. A lot of "if"s have to occur for my prediction to be correct but I think it's possible...

Yes, it is a bit premature to call Anthony Lee a Hoosier, but he has stated that he's received 300-400 tweets from Hoosier fans in the last couple of days alone, more than any other fanbase. That really helps I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Anyone who says that DOESNT help or factor is kidding themselves. The fact that he's noticed it, AND brought it up in multiple interviews shows it makes an impression..... Now whether he thinks we are all bat sh*t crazy or not... Haha

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="50920" timestamp="1395405202"]Good thoughts, but absolutely nothing tells me Hollowell should be in starting lineup except rebound potential. Besides, everyone knows Max will start at the 4. Hahaha. Couldn't resist.

If we get lee we are mor likely to see either

Yogi
Blackmon
TW
DD
Lee

Or

Yogi
Blackmon
Stan
TW
Lee[/quote]

I just really have a feeling he's going to work his tail off this summer. Call me crazy if need be, but I have the vibe that he didn't expect he'd have to work that hard after his freshman year and he saw that not to be the case. His declining minutes should serve as notice that he needs to put in the time and effort to play at Indiana. I hope he gets Crean's message. We all know he has the ability to be great... Just flip the switch Jeremy!

Yea, it's hard to gauge where certain players sit with Crean because of his wacky substitutions. Certainly having three good guards on the floor: Yogi, Blackmon, Stan never hurt anyone, but for some reason I can see Crean restarting the Hollowell experiment next year because we need his size. I like Davis's strength and toughness under the basket.

Noah is not coming back next year. Let's get that out of the way. So, that means the Hoosiers will be lean in the front court. Naturally, that raises immediate and viable concerns. However, it has never been Crean's intention to utilize strong post players. Zeller got his touches and points largely from offensive rebounds, broken plays, and runouts. Vonleh averaged like 5 shots per game on a team with no other lottery NBA lottery picks and no good shooters. This fact has really irritated me about Crean but I guess I just have to accept that it's gonna be that way with Crean as coach. So be it. Now, on to why IU will be a top 10 team next year without a talented post player...

As we saw from 2011-2013, Crean's system relies on spacing, driving, and 3 pt shooting. Those teams were pretty darn successful.

Yogi is an all- conference caliber point guard. He is uncommonly strong driving and finishing in the lane and he has developed into an outside threat. Blackmon will be possibly the best pure scorer at the SG position in the Big10 as a freshman. He is that good. Mark it down- he will be conference freshman of the year. Yogi didn't have another elite guard to play alongside this year. I mean, Yogi can take his man off the dribble in basically every game he plays in but what guard was going to be the beneficiary of that penetration? Sheehey? Next year, Yogi can drive lane and kick out to either Blackmon or Johnson for 3 pt looks. Johnson is also an elite shooter. A writer at Scout.com thinks Blackmon and Johnson are the top two pure shooters in the class of 2014. That is big.

Stanford Robinson is a talented guard who has a knack for getting to the basket. Maybe with some serious offseason work he could be a decent jump shooter by next season. Regardless, I see Stanford coming off the bench for Yogi and /or Blackmon and providing that second wave of attack from the perimeter. He could be as good a 6th man as there is in the conference.

With some strength training and long hours in the gym working on his shot and his handle, Troy will be a beast. There aren't very many, if any, 6'7 wings in the league that have his length and athleticism.

Hollowell was a huge disappointment as we all know, but barring a transfer, I think he returns and contributes more than last season. Crean won't need to experiment with his ball handling skills again as we will have that covered in spades next year. Hollowell could be used more traditionally next year as a 4, and that could lead to more production: rebounding and second- chance points. I'm not holding my breath over it but I still think there is a time and place for this kid to be successful as a Hoosier.

Devin Davis and Perea will be solid rebounders and defenders with the occasional scoring outburst.

It's looking like IU will get Anthony Lee from Temple as a 5th year transfer. This will be key for the Hoosiers. He is a 6'9 forward with a lot of experience. His numbers from last year are good: 13ppg, 8rpg. He could start and be solid, helping to shore up the loss of Vonleh.

The Big10's best teams are losing a lot after this year. I'm not saying IU is going to necessarily win the conference title next year but I think they will be contending for it. No one in the league will have as good a backcourt as the Hoosiers. Yogi, Blackmon, Stan, and Johnson represent the best and deepest backcourt in the Big10 next year, hands down. As for the front court, consider this- what upper-echelon Big10 team this year had a dominant player in the post? No one, really. The game is and has been trending toward guards and wings and IU will be very strong in that area. The frontcourt duties will be handled by committee.

Overall, I see IU running the fast break extremely well but also and most importantly, I see IU having an effective half court offense with Yogi, Blackmon, and Johnson creating effective spacing from their outside shooting. This will open the lane and baseline for Troy and Perea to really play more above the rim and behind the defense. The Hoosiers will be one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the league if not the country.

I seriously think IU wins 25+ games next year. Call me crazy but I think we will be legit.

Ok, you said call you crazy-your crazy and a dreamer. In fact you sound just like CTC. Just swallow it-CTC got to go!

Who starts next year, JBJ or Stan Rob? Right now I'd vote for JBJ because of his ability to shoot the ball, which we severely lacked this last season. Unless someone else dramatically improved their shooting, we need someone who can shoot the ball in the lineup. 

[quote name="KingPG21" post="50932" timestamp="1395407539"]Who starts next year, JBJ or Stan Rob? Right now I'd vote for JBJ because of his ability to shoot the ball, which we severely lacked this last season. Unless someone else dramatically improved their shooting, we need someone who can shoot the ball in the lineup. [/quote] I've thought about that too and I would have to go with JBJ just because I think that he is a talent that could start almost anywhere right away. I also like the option to bring Stan off the bench who got a lot of experience this season. He could turn into a really nice sixth man. If it was me I think I would start Yogi, Blackmon, troy, DD assuming he puts in a good summer, and anthony lee should he decide on IU

The difference between a top ten finish and a first round exit in the tournament I believe hinges on HMP.  If he can be a solid defensive presence by getting those rebounds and impeding guards driving lanes then we are in business.  If lee comes over then both Perea and Lee must start with right now Davis getting considerable minutes.  

With lee my starting line up is

Yogi

Blackmon

Troy

Lee

Perea

2nd

Stan Robinson ( this guy knows how to pass the ball.  Needs to work on his handle)

Stan(when we need defense)/Rob Johnson (offense)

Austin Etherington(when we need defense/ Hoetzel ( when we need offense)

Devin Davis

and

Devin Davis

[quote name="Feathery" post="50911" timestamp="1395404011"]I don't think Wisconsin is losing anyone of substance. They will be the favorites. Nebraska should remain intact, I think. Illinois get 3 players who sat out this year plus a good recruiting class. Crean has his work cut out for him next season. Michigan will be good next year as well.[/quote]

I don't think Dekker will be back. Or that's my gut feeling at least. He would be a big loss for them, but they will always be solid. Michigan will lose Stauskas and Robinson. Plus Morgan who graduates. All opinion, but it's a good possibility.